Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess Whatever

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Miranda is correct (though in some cases "mating material" can be a knight, a bishop, a blocked pawn etc depending on the position). Also if both do not have mating material (ie it is absolutely impossible for checkmate to occur no matter what moves are made) then it is a draw as soon as that position arises and there is no need to wait for the flagfall as the game is already over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Miranda is correct (though in some cases "mating material" can be a knight, a bishop, a blocked pawn etc depending on the position). Also if both do not have mating material (ie it is absolutely impossible for checkmate to occur no matter what moves are made) then it is a draw as soon as that position arises and there is no need to wait for the flagfall as the game is already over.
    In such a position where no player has mating material (say for example KB v KB same colour), if the players are playing on anyway, would it possible to claim a win by illegal move?
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    In such a position where no player has mating material (say for example KB v KB same colour), if the players are playing on anyway, would it possible to claim a win by illegal move?
    No because the appearance of a dead position on the board immediately ends the game provided the move producing it is legal.

Blitz laws

C3. An illegal move is completed once the opponent’s clock has been started. The opponent is entitled to claim a win before he has made his own move. However, if the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves with the most unskilled counterplay, then the claimant is entitled to claim a draw before he has made his own move. Once the opponent has made his own move, an illegal move cannot be corrected
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Blitz laws

C3. An illegal move is completed once the opponent’s clock has been started. The opponent is entitled to claim a win before he has made his own move. However, if the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves with the most unskilled counterplay, then the claimant is entitled to claim a draw before he has made his own move. Once the opponent has made his own move, an illegal move cannot be corrected
    And with specific reference to Boris's question there is

9.6 The game is drawn when a position is reached from which checkmate cannot occur by any possible series of legal moves even with the most unskilled counterplay. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing this position was legal.

which is not overridden by any Blitz or Rapid laws.

The "even with the most unskilled counterplay" bit is about to be removed which will make it clear that if an artificial helpmate is still possible the game continues; as it stands some people might try to argue that artificial helpmates are not "unskilled counterplay" but skilled self-destructive counterplay.

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Kevin: some of us do "self-destructive counterplay" in every game
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    Kevin: some of us do "self-destructive counterplay" in every game
    But not skilled self-destructive counterplay
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Does anyone have a copy of Chessmaster 5,000, that I assume is compatiable with Windows 95?? thanks in antici

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Does anyone have a copy of Chessmaster 5,000, that I assume is compatiable with Windows 95?? thanks in antici
    don't alll rush me. Maby it is compatiable with windows 98 - someone please help, just as the Gaza Strip needs help urgently

Account Suspended
    http://www.thecomputershow.com/compu...master5000.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    If the 10.2 law amendment was passed at the olympied, then I've got more that will make you pass out. Law 10.2 will apply to all chess including lighning.

10.2 If the player, having the move, has less than two minutes left on his clock, he may claim a draw before his flag falls. He shall stop the clocks and summon the arbiter.
    a. If the arbiter agrees the opponent is making no effort to win the game by normal means, or that it is not possible to win by normal means, then he shall declare the game drawn. Otherwise he shall postpone his decision or reject the claim.
    b. If the arbiter postpones his decision, the opponent may be awarded two extra minutes and the game shall continue in the presence of an arbiter, if possible. The arbiter shall declare the final result later in the game or after a flag has fallen. He shall declare the game drawn if he agrees that the final position cannot be won by normal means, or that the opponent was not making sufficient attempts to win by normal means.
    c. If the arbiter has rejected the claim, the opponent shall be awarded two extra minutes time.
    d. The decision of the arbiter shall be final relating to 10.2 a, b, c.

The only way around this rule will be increments, I think if this does happen then all lightning games will have a 1/2 second increment as standard.

Hope you enjoyed the old lighning, because I think its on the way out
    were these proposals accepted?

Is touch move in lightning enforced, or anything goes until presses button?

don't alll rush me. Maby it is compatiable with windows 98 - someone please help, just as the Gaza Strip needs help urgently
    oh I didn't know those hamas characters use computers, as for chess do they use them slingshots when they have a "blitz" game?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

I was playing a 15 min game recently and both our flags had fallen, myself being behind on position but noticing it first claimed a draw. My opponent claimed a win coz my clock was more advanced. BUT, it was on my move and I had moving for a while so possible my clock only won the race after his flag his fallen. Coz I claimed the draw does my claim hold?

I was playing a 15 min game recently and both our flags had fallen, myself being behind on position but noticing it first claimed a draw. My opponent claimed a win coz my clock was more advanced. BUT, it was on my move and I had moving for a while so possible my clock only won the race after his flag his fallen. Coz I claimed the draw does my claim hold?
    If both flags are down it's a draw no matter who has used up more time.

The only exception is if one player wins the game by checkmate or resignation before it is noticed that the flags are down.

were these proposals accepted?

Is touch move in lightning enforced, or anything goes until presses button?
    Touch move has always applied under FIDE riules in lightning.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Thread Information