Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Chess Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Not a bad investment:
    A small walrus tusk warrior figure bought for £5 in 1964 – which, for years, was stored in a household drawer – is a missing piece from one of the true wonders of the medieval world, it has been revealed. The Lewis chessmen were found in 1831 in the Outer Hebrides and became beloved museum collections in London and Edinburgh. They have also become well known in popular culture from Noggin the Nog to Harry Potter. But of the 93 pieces found, five were known to be missing. Until now. On Monday the auction house Sotheby’s announced it had authenticated a missing piece and would sell it in July with an estimated value of between £600,000 and £1m.
    An ancient chess piece kept in a drawer for 55 years and originally bought for £5 was today sold at auction for £735,000 (U.S. $927,062, or 820,232 euro). It is almost certainly one of the famous Lewis Chessmen that date from the late 12th or early 13th century.

The piece, 8.8 cm (3.5 inch) high and made of walrus ivory, is named warder. It represents a rook. It is a standing, bearded warrior holding a sword in his right hand and a shield in his left. The many similarities make it almost certain that it is part of famous Lewis Chessmen, found on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland's Outer Hebrides in 1831....
    https://www.chess.com/news/view/anci...ssmen-sothebys

CC Grandmaster
    Btw, I still have an ''antique'' style chess set I won at a shpping center rapid 18 or so years ago...at the time I was told it was valued 2 grand or so...(doubt it was that high) but I better see if I can sell it
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Btw, I still have an ''antique'' style chess set I won at a shpping center rapid 18 or so years ago...at the time I was told it was valued 2 grand or so...(doubt it was that high) but I better see if I can sell it
    Bet you have not used that set yet just as I have not read In The Steps of Jesus awarded for coming first in religion sixty years ago. But it is a great prop for when evangelists coming knocking on my door and telling me I know nothing about religion.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Bet you have not used that set yet just as I have not read In The Steps of Jesus awarded for coming first in religion sixty years ago. But it is a great prop for when evangelists coming knocking on my door and telling me I know nothing about religion.
    Nope. Its big and heavy. Good for decorating living room or playing at parties...but not quite suitable for studying/playing chess properly. Anyway, I have not used my home chess board (even proper one!) for ages@

CC Candidate Master
    Poster Paradox!
    Small tournaments large posters and vice versa!!20190706_153722.jpg20190706_153744.jpg

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy009 View Post
    Poster Paradox!
    Small tournaments large posters and vice versa!!20190706_153722.jpg20190706_153744.jpg
    Well they say ''Its not the size that matters''

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Moderation Notice

Post deleted and thread locked for a month or until I remember, whichever is longer, for unnecessary political analogy.

It ain't simple mating with 3 or 4 knights against bare king.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessopening?eco=D17

amazing how some chess openings enjoy great popularity then fade off then resurrect again two decades later. When checking N Levin records in the link above it shows the camel back ride of the Queens Gambit Declined Slav. Maybe Fischer made it popular again.

Jose Raul Capablanca at the 1935 Moscow International.

Attachment 3899
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Jose Raul Capablanca at the 1935 Moscow International.

Attachment 3899
    Curiously, Capa's second wife was Russian!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Curiously, Capa's second wife was Russian!
    Yes, princess Olga Choubaroff (maiden name before her first marriage to a White army officer) Capablanca was a very beautiful and classy lady.

Attachment 3901

and here's Capa (left - from the 1935 Moscow International again) losing to Dr Lasker in 64 moves.
    Note the chairs used by the chess players were throne like seats used by the czar and his officials during decision making meetings.

Attachment 3902

any idea or suggestion regarding the content of that bottle on their table?
    Last edited by ER; 01-10-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Kramnik interview with a cameo from Gelfand

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/vla...yself-a-genius
    As I didn't opt in so I cannot copy but I loved the quip "Jews get blamed for everything" where it seems clear from his explanation that he was completely in his rights to refuse a rematch.

I am interested to purchase a chess program with a good database storage ap.

(looks like the Fritz 15 I bought from the late Peter Parr on discount years ago runs its final stages).

Any ideas? suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

forget it thanks! what I did was to remove the whole program and clear all files and databases.
    then I re-installed it. Works perfectly now, cheers!
    Last edited by ER; 12-10-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information