Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Chess Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    I set up a position with K+2Q vs K+6N (each side in one corner) and let Stockfish play against itself at 10 secs/move. Before too long white gave up one queen for two knights and reached this position (white to move)

FEN Viewer

...which is actually a tablebase win for the four knights, although it takes them more than 50 moves. And apparently the four knights win in nearly 40% of random positions.

K+Q vs K+3N is generally a draw (you just sac the queen for one of them and it's drawn), but K+2Q vs K+6N might not be.
    Thanks, just as I thought. I love knights in the right hands. Wonder how 6 Bishops would fair in similar circumstances. Very different concept .

Now imagine 2 queens against 18 pawns??? And pawns being allowed to promote
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Wonder how 6 Bishops would fair in similar circumstances. Very different concept .
    The experiment with 2Q vs 6N wasn't very robust (maybe if I look at more I'll find more chances for the queens) but I think that with 2Q vs 6B unless the queens can win material or force a draw or mate very quickly they will lose (though maybe not within the 50 move draw rule). Here's an example:

PGN Viewer

I can't do 18 pawns, it won't let me.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 15-02-2020 at 11:50 PM.

This is 2Q vs 6N where I overrode it whenever it tried to give up a queen for two knights. The knights are really dangerous once they work together.

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 16-02-2020 at 10:50 AM.

I reckon 3R vs 5N is a draw but once you make a few or all of the pieces bishops the pieces start often winning with best play. Though with 3R vs 5B the rooks can draw if they can sacrifice themselves in a way that leaves all the remaining bishops on the same colour squares, and the side with the bishops has to watch out for this.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    This is 2Q vs 6N where I overrode it whenever it tried to give up a queen for two knights. The knights are really dangerous once they work together.

PGN Viewer

White might prolong with 13. Qa7+ then 14. Qda1.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

As we are in the days of eliminating discrimination when promoting a pawn we should have the choice of any combo of pieces with a total value In theory there could be more pieces than squares so no go
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

The experiment with 2Q vs 6N wasn't very robust (maybe if I look at more I'll find more chances for the queens) but I think that with 2Q vs 6B unless the queens can win material or force a draw or mate very quickly they will lose (though maybe not within the 50 move draw rule). Here's an example:

PGN Viewer

I can't do 18 pawns, it won't let me.
    If it was 16 pieces set up in diamond formation they may have a chance against 2 queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    White might prolong with 13. Qa7+ then 14. Qda1.
    I assumed it was saying -20 or so on account of the queen fork but that wasn't the case, so I've edited the post and added in some more moves.

More silliness:

PGN Viewer

PGN Viewer

While 3R vs 5N is a draw because each rook can give itself up for one knight, 6R vs 10N is probably lost because 6R would have to exchange themselves for 8N and it seems the Ns will avoid this if they stick together.

More silliness? Playing many too knights manually makes one crazy. Sure knights are the greatest of pieces when played expertly

CC Rookie
    Nice horsing around!

If you can't play knights like a champion then you can't really love the game because you don't know the game. Once knights are off the board it almost becomes boring. There is no magic.

Thread Information