Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess Whatever

Chess Whatever

I saw a chess shot in the newspaper the other day, some big comp and they were using the old mechanical clocks - none of the digital rubbish.

I was playing lightning the other day on a digital, very fastly I must add, and lo and behold (again) I was not using any time. Over 15 moves I still had 5 mins on the clock. When I queried I was told that if your move is under 2 secs or something it does not register or you get a bonus or something. what is that about? Talk about polluting the meaning of lightning!!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    I saw a chess shot in the newspaper the other day, some big comp and they were using the old mechanical clocks - none of the digital rubbish.

I was playing lightning the other day on a digital, very fastly I must add, and lo and behold (again) I was not using any time. Over 15 moves I still had 5 mins on the clock. When I queried I was told that if your move is under 2 secs or something it does not register or you get a bonus or something. what is that about? Talk about polluting the meaning of lightning!!
    If the 10.2 law amendment was passed at the olympied, then I've got more that will make you pass out. Law 10.2 will apply to all chess including lighning.

10.2 If the player, having the move, has less than two minutes left on his clock, he may claim a draw before his flag falls. He shall stop the clocks and summon the arbiter.
    a. If the arbiter agrees the opponent is making no effort to win the game by normal means, or that it is not possible to win by normal means, then he shall declare the game drawn. Otherwise he shall postpone his decision or reject the claim.
    b. If the arbiter postpones his decision, the opponent may be awarded two extra minutes and the game shall continue in the presence of an arbiter, if possible. The arbiter shall declare the final result later in the game or after a flag has fallen. He shall declare the game drawn if he agrees that the final position cannot be won by normal means, or that the opponent was not making sufficient attempts to win by normal means.
    c. If the arbiter has rejected the claim, the opponent shall be awarded two extra minutes time.
    d. The decision of the arbiter shall be final relating to 10.2 a, b, c.

The only way around this rule will be increments, I think if this does happen then all lightning games will have a 1/2 second increment as standard.

Hope you enjoyed the old lighning, because I think its on the way out

... Over 15 moves I still had 5 mins on the clock...
    Most probably and being the old crackpot that you are, hadn't started the clock at all!
    • Chess is like an underground activity back home! Ian Rogers, Australian Chess Grandmaster.
    • I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else. - Winston Churchill
    • Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery. - Spike Milligan
    • The time to relax is when you don't have time for it! Sydney J. Harris
    • Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Marthe Troly-Curtin

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Candidate Master WCL-Skwerly's Avatar
    Besides, lightning is 1 or 2 minutes, 5 min is blitz. But yes, depending on the clock's settings, almost anything can happen! On regular mode, the digital clock is far more accurate, and will not act this way.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    Hope you enjoyed the old lighning, because I think its on the way out
    I suspect not. The new rules only apply to "official" lightning. The purpose is to prevent some of the fiascos seen recently and replace them with other fiascos.

For anything that isn't a tie-break or a formal blitz championship people can use whatever rules they want. It may just need another name.

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WCL-Skwerly
    Besides, lightning is 1 or 2 minutes, 5 min is blitz. But yes, depending on the clock's settings, almost anything can happen! On regular mode, the digital clock is far more accurate, and will not act this way.
    Nah, lightning is 5 0.
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by WCL-Skwerly
    Five minute chess always was known as lightning until the term "blitz" came into use via the USA, I think. In fact "Blitz" is the German word for lightning ( as from the sky, among other things). Anyway, isn't 1 minute chess called "bullet" or is that yet faster?

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

In Arsène we Trust!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    The purpose is to prevent some of the fiascos seen recently and replace them with other fiascos.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Five minute chess always was known as lightning until the term "blitz" came into use via the USA, I think. In fact "Blitz" is the German word for lightning ( as from the sky, among other things). Anyway, isn't 1 minute chess called "bullet" or is that yet faster?

DJ
    In many countries, I think 'lightning' still refers to 5 0, but in Germany (and probably some other countries as well), lightning refers to 2 0. "Bullet" generally refers to 1 0, and Blitz is considered anything between 3 0 and 14 0 on the Internet Chess Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanchuk_Fan
    In many countries, I think 'lightning' still refers to 5 0, but in Germany (and probably some other countries as well), lightning refers to 2 0. "Bullet" generally refers to 1 0, and Blitz is considered anything between 3 0 and 14 0 on the Internet Chess Club.
    It seems as though, if it's under 15 minutes, you can call it what you like. I agree that "bullet" is 1 minute (as I understood it). But I think that here the terms "lightning" and "blitz" both generally refer to 5 minute chess, the former being the earlier usage. "Blitz" also has the advantage for some people that it has only one syllable

I mention that, before clocks were in general use, somewhat chaotic attempts were made to play lightning chess at the call of an arbiter to move or by use of a timer that rang every so many seconds. Such a system was in use at the Canberra Chess Club when I first joined in 1953 and it was a fair shambles in practice.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

In Arsène we Trust!

CC International Master
    I always thought that lightning was bullet with increments or delay. And bullet was without. blitz is five.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    I used to live on a different planet... but Ive moved..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    I suspect not. The new rules only apply to "official" lightning. The purpose is to prevent some of the fiascos seen recently and replace them with other fiascos.

For anything that isn't a tie-break or a formal blitz championship people can use whatever rules they want. It may just need another name.
    lol i like that logic
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If your good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing chess

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saragossa
    I always thought that lightning was bullet with increments or delay. And bullet was without. blitz is five.
    I think of "bullet" as specifically being one minute with no increment; the terms "lightning" and "blitz" have both been around for ages and seem to be used interchangeably.

FIDE defines "blitz" as less than 15 minutes without increment, or if there is an increment then the allotted time plus 60 times the increment is less than 15 minutes. But I rarely hear either term used for anything with a base time exceeding 5 mins.

In lightning if White's flag falls but Black does not have mating material what is result?

Also what is result if both does not have mating material?

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    In lightning if White's flag falls but Black does not have mating material what is result?

Also what is result if both does not have mating material?
    Draw in both cases.
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Thread Information