Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Account Suspended
    Only up 35 points for the year, so thats a C performance for me. I did play games at BCC and a few weekenders, so thats an improvement.

is that a photo finish or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    ... for the final rating period as firegoat is 1886 and all I know at this stage is I am not going below 1880.
    Kevin Bonham - 16 1886!!
    firegoat7 - 0 1886

LOL

CAGLES!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

https://aus2020.chesschamp.net/

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Kevin Bonham - 16 1886!!
    firegoat7 - 0 1886

LOL

CAGLES!
    If Kevin and 1886 rating points and FG7 has 1886 rating points, Kevin has more rating points than FG7
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

I give myself a C- for the year. I simply didn't play enough competitive chess for me to achieve my goals. However I know that my positional understanding and my endgame skills have improved ... so maybe 2009 will be the year ...
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC Candidate Master
    Goals?! I'm just struggling to maintain my own skill level. Been a busy year for me. (:

Rating 1790->1771->1763 Hopefully it'll go up this term.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy
    Rating 1790->1771->1763 Hopefully it'll go up this term.
    ->1787 Yay! Haha! Although I haven't broken even yet. How did everyone else go?

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    I went from 680 to 733... which is still an awful rating, but at least it went up.
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    I think most people are far too concerned about ratings. Below top level, it doesn't matter so much.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    I think most people are far too concerned about ratings. Below top level, it doesn't matter so much.
    I am, to the extent I almost missed out on the Qld Champs.

Also I think you need 1800 to get into Doeberl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    How else are we to measure performance? Without ratings its very hit-n-miss trying to gauge one's improvement.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman
    How else are we to measure performance? Without ratings its very hit-n-miss trying to gauge one's improvement.
    I agree that I think they do provide a useful measure of improvement provided they are used with caution. To clarify a rating is a weight average of results not an instantaneous measure of chess understanding. So we shouldn't confuse one with the other though we might infer one from the other (with a limited degree of confidence).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

D

I didn't record my rating goals for 2008 in that BB thread, but the basic one was to get back above 1600. I failed miserably dropping to 1555 so a D.

I am hoping that coaching will help me address this disturbing downward trend.

I agree with Jono that most of us are over concerned with rating. it is only one measure of strength. It just happens to be the most visible. At my level one plus from still being below 1600 is that I can contest U 1600 prizes should events transpire in such away that I can enter such tournaments. But I'd prefer to be over that 1600 barrier and go for the bigger prizes.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    I have been spending my time studying chess, without any competitive activity, since about June. I don't intend to play again for quite some time. I see no reason to rely on ratings to tell me that studying is helping my game.

(That is not a response to the topic, but seemed to relate to recent posts.)

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by black
    I have been spending my time studying chess, without any competitive activity, since about June. I don't intend to play again for quite some time. I see no reason to rely on ratings to tell me that studying is helping my game.
    At some point in the future though, if you want an objective indicator that your game has improved you'll need to obtain it under the controlled conditions of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by black
    I see no reason to rely on ratings to tell me that studying is helping my game.
    True, you do not need to rely on ratings to tell you that study is helping your game.

But at the end of the day, you need to put that study to useful effect and get results otb, which then if you are converting your games into wins/draws, you will gain rating points and then you have something in black and white that shows that your study has improved your chess, rather than just an emotional feel factor.

Thread Information