Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    that's what it was ... it was the northern territory of south australia

Double and what about ACT?
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Double and what about ACT?
    specially created around 1927 around canberra so that neither melbourne/victoria or sydney/nsw would have control over it

well essentially that's the jist of it

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    specially created around 1927
    Don't mention special creation.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Don't mention special creation.
    sorry; i guess that would be jono's territory

that's what it was ... it was the northern territory of south australia
    Which certainly includes New Zealand when looked at with your eyes almost closed

specially created around 1927 around canberra so that neither melbourne/victoria or sydney/nsw would have control over it

well essentially that's the jist of it
    True. South Australia at that time governed the NT and South Australian Laws applied there. Maps showed South Australia and the NT as one, though separately named.

Canberra was chosen as the federal capital site in 1908, confirmed in 1909, after debate lasting for several years and proposals of many sites. It was formally named in 1913. There is a full and quite readable account of the whole process in Roger Pegrum's book "The Bush capital" Roger being a Canberra architect. In 1927 the Federal Parliament moved to Canberra from Melbourne where it had sat since Federation and the new, but temporary, Parliament House was opened by the Duke of York, later King George VI.

As for ACT players having been lost overseas, there are really none as most strong ACT players have come here in the past from inter-State and then gone away again, not necessarily overseas, for instance Haydn Barber. The strongest player to come here in the past was no doubt Richard Brent who, at the age of 18, finished equal 3 - 5 behind Cecil Purdy and Doug Hamilton (equal 1) in the Australian Championship in Hobart in 1964 - 65. Richard was at the ANU for some years but played only locally and then spent quite some time as a Professor at Oxford University. He has now returned to Canberra but plays competitive chess only occasionally. As with Greg Hjorth, his academic life had to take precedence over chess.

DJ
    Last edited by Denis_Jessop; 29-11-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Sentence added re Pegrum's book
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    As for ACT players having been lost overseas, there are really none as most strong ACT players have come here in the past from inter-State and then gone away again, not necessarily overseas, for instance Haydn Barber. The strongest player to come here in the past was no doubt Richard Brent who, at the age of 18, finished equal 3 - 5 behind Cecil Purdy and Doug Hamilton (equal 1) in the Australian Championship in Hobart in 1964 - 65. Richard was at the ANU for some years but played only locally and then spent quite some time as a Professor at Oxford University. He has now returned to Canberra but plays competitive chess only occasionally. As with Greg Hjorth, his academic life had to take precedence over chess.

DJ
    I thought the strongest player to come live in ACT is David Smerdon.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Grandmaster
    I just read in Chessbase that Bob Wade(87) died this morning.

Nz not going to ever be part of Aus!

Re the alleged behind the scenes and unannounced annexure of NZ by Aus referred to by some, I guess that would have occurred last weekend before the league final. So Aus can still claim they are world champions of league (not). I do recall from my NZ history at uni that one NZ PM in the early twentieth century suggested NZ become part of Aus. He did not stay PM long. It will never happen.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    I thought the strongest player to come live in ACT is David Smerdon.
    Without doubt, Igor, and Arianne isn't bad either; but I was speaking of the past, not the present.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Re the alleged behind the scenes and unannounced annexure of NZ by Aus referred to by some, I guess that would have occurred last weekend before the league final. So Aus can still claim they are world champions of league (not). I do recall from my NZ history at uni that one NZ PM in the early twentieth century suggested NZ become part of Aus. He did not stay PM long. It will never happen.
    It's amusing that before last Saturday you couldn't find a kiwi who gave two figs about the league. All of a sudden they're all mad keen fans.

I've never been much of a league supporter (which I think I've made obvious with my comments about the State of Origin circus) last Saturday league game wasn't a blip on the radar as I was still celebrating knocking off the black caps at the 'Gabba.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Good on the ABs too

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    It's amusing that before last Saturday you couldn't find a kiwi who gave two figs about the league. All of a sudden they're all mad keen fans.

I've never been much of a league supporter (which I think I've made obvious with my comments about the State of Origin circus) last Saturday league game wasn't a blip on the radar as I was still celebrating knocking off the black caps at the 'Gabba.
    I'm not too disappointed that we are under the weather in the cricket series as I have just read:
    (a) The All Blacks completed the grand slam again by beating England convincingly. (For those who don't follow rugby union, this means we beat Eng, Scot, Ire and Wales - and all without conceding a try. This has put NZ back at the top of the world rankings, despite the fact that we are not world champions like in league.)
    (b) Also in rugby union, Wales upset Australia.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Sports generalist

You could call me a generalist with my sport. I'll enjoy watching anything with a ball and anything with an NZ team playing. But the sport I have had the most personal involvement in is cricket, where for a number of years I was scorer for the University club in Dunedin, and before that my high school team. Other favorite sport to watch is soccer, as log as it's not nil - nil. Followed by the 2 variants of rugby. But I am no good in a playing sense at any sport with a ball. Indeed, my best participatory sport (sorry Cam, it is a sport) is chess. And as readers of this BB will know, I am pretty average at that (but with motivation to improve).

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Without doubt, Igor, and Arianne isn't bad either; but I was speaking of the past, not the present.

DJ
    Was anyone in the past stronger then Smerdon today?

Thread Information