Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Notable Aussies that got away

Quote Originally Posted by Solo
    The Browne system, named after Walter Shaun Browne, an Aussie who moved to US around 1970 and became a GM...
    As extracted from Stephen Solomon's analysis of his Dresden game with Ozanne.

Any others (notable Aussies who got away)?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Candidate Master
    Rolf Harris:
    I played my best for Him Pa Rumpumpumpum

Do what you do do well

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Browne was an Aussie but birth but also an American. He was born here and moved to America when he was 3 and I believe the majority of his childhood was spent in America.

I'm not sure what is meant by "Notable Aussies that got away". Are we supposed to be patrolling our borders for 3-year-olds who might get away?

He did play some representative chess for Australia but that was more a matter of convenience and when he got the chance he represented America in preference.

Rolf Harris has more claim to being an Aussie as he was raised here and he was a state champion swimmer in his youth. Not sure how good his chess is.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Any others (notable Aussies who got away)?
    Greg Hjorth springs to mind (IM in his very early 20s before moving to the States, mathematician). However it seems he's now back in the country, at least some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Browne was an Aussie but birth but also an American. He was born here and moved to America when he was 3 and I believe the majority of his childhood was spent in America.

I'm not sure what is meant by "Notable Aussies that got away". Are we supposed to be patrolling our borders for 3-year-olds who might get away?

He did play some representative chess for Australia but that was more a matter of convenience and when he got the chance he represented America in preference.

Rolf Harris has more claim to being an Aussie as he was raised here and he was a state champion swimmer in his youth. Not sure how good his chess is.
    That's right re Browne. It was said that he came back to Australia for a bit so that he could play in our Olympiad team as he couldn't make the US team - or was it Board 1? - I can't remember. I think it was the latter as he played Board 1 for Australia in the 1972 Olympiad when he was ranked no 2 in the US behind Fischer. He won the Australian Championship in 1968-69 but didn't play in the next one. By the time he played for Australia in the 1972 Olympiad he was back in the US. There is an account of his Australian exploits in Cathy Chua's "Australian Chess at the Top" which accords with my memory of matters.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Greg Hjorth springs to mind (IM in his very early 20s before moving to the States, mathematician). However it seems he's now back in the country, at least some of the time.
    I think he plans to be in Melbourne this January but not much more over the next 6 months.

Dad interviewed Browne

During my teens my dad interviewed Browne when he visited Dunedin to play a simul (which I played in - I lost). I still have the clipping from his newspaper the Otago Daily Times (which he later edited) which has the by-line "Swinging Image for Chess Master." He was long-haired, won most of his simul games, and gave chess some good publicity in NZ back then.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    I believe Hjorth is now at Melb Uni working as a professor of Maths
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Kiwi expats include Bob Wade, as well as Murray Chandler for about 25 years.

Both countries have far more impats than expats.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    What about notable auzzies that were born overseas? Many of the auzzie reps at the chess ollympiads were overseas-born.

Koshnitsky, Rubenraut, Davidovic, Berger are some names that come to mind.

at what point between michael baron's post and your post did australia formally annexe new zealand?

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    at what point between michael baron's post and your post did australia formally annexe new zealand?
    Last Wednesday. shhh, we haven't told them yet.

CC Grandmaster
    Last Wednesday. shhh, we haven't told them yet.
    Good for them

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    Australian Constitution, 1900:

"The States" shall mean such of the colonies of New South Wales, New Zealand, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia, and South Australia, including the northern territory of South Australia...

CC Grandmaster
    ...including the northern territory of South Australia...
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Thread Information