Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    638

    THE DOEBERL CUP by Bill Egan

    I'm sitting with Bill Egan's fine book "The Doeberl Cup" in front of me - BUY IT! - and looking at his sources.

    I expect that Cathy Chua's "Australian Chess at the Top" is more or less impossible to get.

    What about "Important Moments in Chess: Canberra 1988 Doeberl Cup" from Johnny [Johny] Bolens(!)?? Never heard about it, to be honest. I suppose this is also an impossible one.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,706

    Johny an author?

    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    ...What about "Important Moments in Chess: Canberra 1988 Doeberl Cup" from Johnny [Johny] Bolens(!)?? Never heard about it, to be honest. I suppose this is also an impossible one.
    Hi Henrik, most likely you will have the opportunity to meet the man himself in Sydney for the Open. He will either be playing in the Major, or will drop in to watch games and play some blitz. I will introduce you to him. I didn't know he was the author of a chess book though!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  3. #3
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,719
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    I expect that Cathy Chua's "Australian Chess at the Top" is more or less impossible to get.
    You might be lucky and find a copy sometime. It is at least reasonably well known here and quite a lot of players would have it, though I don't have a copy myself.

    What about "Important Moments in Chess: Canberra 1988 Doeberl Cup" from Johnny [Johny] Bolens(!)?? Never heard about it, to be honest. I suppose this is also an impossible one.
    I've never heard of this at all. Interesting.

  4. #4
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    638
    HEHE - JAK...

    You don't have to introduce me to Johny. I have known him for more than 20 years. I was just surprised to see that he had written a book. A surprise - it seems - that I share with others.

    I should have sent you a picture of him from 2003. I don't know why I forgot this.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster ER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    11,706
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    HEHE - JAK...

    You don't have to introduce me to Johny. I have known him for more than 20 years. I was just surprised to see that he had written a book. A surprise - it seems - that I share with others.

    I should have sent you a picture of him from 2003. I don't know why I forgot this.
    LOL I forgot you are a walking encyclopaedia H. actually the surprise would have been if you didn't know someone!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

  6. #6
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,118
    Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    I'm sitting with Bill Egan's fine book "The Doeberl Cup" in front of me - BUY IT! - and looking at his sources.

    I expect that Cathy Chua's "Australian Chess at the Top" is more or less impossible to get.

    What about "Important Moments in Chess: Canberra 1988 Doeberl Cup" from Johnny [Johny] Bolens(!)?? Never heard about it, to be honest. I suppose this is also an impossible one.
    Not sure where I picked it up, but I have a copy of Cathy Chua's book. Its a pretty decent history of Australian Chess & worth picking up if you are interested in such things.
    As for the Bolens book, I have seen it, but do not own it. From memory it was made by Johnny using only diagrams from a number of games from the Doeberl Cup in 1988, which were made using a cut & paste method (similar in some ways to Pandolfini's 'Chess Movies' book series) & I don't think there was much text to it, but I could be wrong.

  7. #7
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    638
    I return to Australia later this year and then I will (again!) try to get this Cathy Chua book, among others...

  8. #8
    CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,118
    A few links that might help you Henrik - a review of the book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...ess-at-the-top
    Also a bookshop that apparently has a copy: http://www.bookshops.com.au/book_sea...3462&sku=14588

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster Denis_Jessop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    3,333
    There are three copies listed on www.abebooks.com.

    DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

  10. #10
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    638
    Thank you very much Kerry and Denis.

  11. #11
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    20
    I'm now offering The Doeberl Cup: Fifty Years of Australian Chess History at a greatly reduced discount price of $25.00 (postage to anywhere in Australia $12, possibly cheaper to Sydney, or parts of NSW). For more info contact me at wegan@pcug.org.au See Jeremy Silman's rave review at: http://tinyurl.com/knd9h2z
    I'll also have copies at the Australian Open in a few days time
    Bill Egan

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nswca Agm 2005
    By The_Wise_Man in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 25-12-2005, 12:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •