CC FIDE Master

THE DOEBERL CUP by Bill Egan

I'm sitting with Bill Egan's fine book "The Doeberl Cup" in front of me - BUY IT! - and looking at his sources.

I expect that Cathy Chua's "Australian Chess at the Top" is more or less impossible to get.

What about "Important Moments in Chess: Canberra 1988 Doeberl Cup" from Johnny [Johny] Bolens(!)?? Never heard about it, to be honest. I suppose this is also an impossible one.

Johny an author?

Quote Originally Posted by machomortensen
    ...What about "Important Moments in Chess: Canberra 1988 Doeberl Cup" from Johnny [Johny] Bolens(!)?? Never heard about it, to be honest. I suppose this is also an impossible one.
    Hi Henrik, most likely you will have the opportunity to meet the man himself in Sydney for the Open. He will either be playing in the Major, or will drop in to watch games and play some blitz. I will introduce you to him. I didn't know he was the author of a chess book though!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I expect that Cathy Chua's "Australian Chess at the Top" is more or less impossible to get.
    You might be lucky and find a copy sometime. It is at least reasonably well known here and quite a lot of players would have it, though I don't have a copy myself.

What about "Important Moments in Chess: Canberra 1988 Doeberl Cup" from Johnny [Johny] Bolens(!)?? Never heard about it, to be honest. I suppose this is also an impossible one.
    I've never heard of this at all. Interesting.

CC FIDE Master
    HEHE - JAK...

You don't have to introduce me to Johny. I have known him for more than 20 years. I was just surprised to see that he had written a book. A surprise - it seems - that I share with others.

I should have sent you a picture of him from 2003. I don't know why I forgot this.

HEHE - JAK...

You don't have to introduce me to Johny. I have known him for more than 20 years. I was just surprised to see that he had written a book. A surprise - it seems - that I share with others.

I should have sent you a picture of him from 2003. I don't know why I forgot this.
    LOL I forgot you are a walking encyclopaedia H. actually the surprise would have been if you didn't know someone!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    I'm sitting with Bill Egan's fine book "The Doeberl Cup" in front of me - BUY IT! - and looking at his sources.

Not sure where I picked it up, but I have a copy of Cathy Chua's book. Its a pretty decent history of Australian Chess & worth picking up if you are interested in such things.
    As for the Bolens book, I have seen it, but do not own it. From memory it was made by Johnny using only diagrams from a number of games from the Doeberl Cup in 1988, which were made using a cut & paste method (similar in some ways to Pandolfini's 'Chess Movies' book series) & I don't think there was much text to it, but I could be wrong.

CC FIDE Master
    I return to Australia later this year and then I will (again!) try to get this Cathy Chua book, among others...

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    A few links that might help you Henrik - a review of the book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...ess-at-the-top
    Also a bookshop that apparently has a copy: http://www.bookshops.com.au/book_sea...3462&sku=14588

There are three copies listed on www.abebooks.com.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC FIDE Master
    Thank you very much Kerry and Denis.

CC Rookie
    I'm now offering The Doeberl Cup: Fifty Years of Australian Chess History at a greatly reduced discount price of $25.00 (postage to anywhere in Australia $12, possibly cheaper to Sydney, or parts of NSW). For more info contact me at wegan@pcug.org.au See Jeremy Silman's rave review at: http://tinyurl.com/knd9h2z
    I'll also have copies at the Australian Open in a few days time
    Bill Egan

Thread Information