Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 178

Thread: Favourite Movie

  1. #16
    CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,047
    Oh, and I might add - 2001 shows how we will be destroyed by our endless quest for knowledge.
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

  2. #17
    CC International Master Space_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    Oh, and I might add - 2001 shows how we will be destroyed by our endless quest for knowledge.
    We have created weapons that can wipe out the entire planet just to satisfy our curiosity, that is crazy!
    IMABACK

  3. #18
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,644

    2001 + my Top 5

    The very end of 2001 seemed to me to be promoting the evolution to explain origins theory (which I of course do not believe). But I still enjoyed the movie, esp. the content around teh computer HAL 9000, whose name is I think a dig at IBM. (Change each letter in HAL to tne next letter and you will see what I mean.) The movie begins with apes and it ends with human foetus. I did not know Kubrick was a chess fan. But at times the movie is slow moving (like long shots of a the long spaceship to show how big it was and in those days special effects were not up to today's standards) so it's not in my Top 5.

    So here is my little Top 5 movies list:

    Ben Hur,
    The Passion of the Christ,
    AntiTrust (Jono and Joker would enjoy this one),
    The Shawshank Redemption (that prisoner who does everyone's accounting in prison)
    Minority Report (Tom Cruise).

    The last 3 all have IT (Info Technology) related content. Perhaps explicable by the fact that I work in IT.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  4. #19
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    A few of my favourites which come to mind (I am sure there are more):

    Magnolia
    Pulp Fiction
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Mr Destiny
    Soul Man
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    Dumb and Dumber
    The Usual Suspects
    Bloodsport

  5. #20
    CC International Master Space_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    A few of my favourites which come to mind (I am sure there are more):

    Magnolia
    Pulp Fiction
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Mr Destiny
    Soul Man
    Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    Dumb and Dumber
    The Usual Suspects
    Bloodsport
    hah! you have the same favourite movies as me! except, Soul man and blood sprt dont know what they are
    IMABACK

  6. #21
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.K
    hah! you have the same favourite movies as me! except, Soul man and blood sprt dont know what they are
    Yes I was going to say, Ace Ventura Pet Detective is a great choice, love that movie! Bloodsport is a martial arts movie, the best in the genre in my opinion, way better than the overhyped Enter the Dragon.

    Soul Man and Mr Destiny are older and a little obscure. Soul Man is about a white dude who wants to get into Harvard but his marks aren't good enough so he takes some pills which make him black and he gets in on a disadvantaged scholarship. Learns all about what it's like to be black. Great movie!

  7. #22
    CC International Master Space_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    Soul Man is about a white dude who wants to get into Harvard but his marks aren't good enough so he takes some pills which make him black and he gets in on a disadvantaged scholarship. Learns all about what it's like to be black. Great movie!
    Is it a comedy??
    IMABACK

  8. #23
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.K
    Is it a comedy??
    Yep.

    Oh and forgot to include The Truman Show in my list.

  9. #24
    CC International Master Space_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    Yep.

    Oh and forgot to include The Truman Show in my list.
    I thought the Truman Show is a TV show..
    IMABACK

  10. #25
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    Soul Man and Mr Destiny are older and a little obscure. Soul Man is about a white dude who wants to get into Harvard but his marks aren't good enough so he takes some pills which make him black and he gets in on a disadvantaged scholarship. Learns all about what it's like to be black. Great movie!
    Some other great comedies of that era are: 4 Weddings and a Funeral, Green Card, The Three Amigos, Roxanne, Big, Tootsie, Coming to America.

    Comedies with heart, they don't make them like they used to, most comedies these days are a little vacuous.
    Last edited by WhiteElephant; 28-11-2008 at 08:12 PM.

  11. #26
    CC Grandmaster Adamski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Penrith, NSW
    Posts
    8,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.K
    I thought the Truman Show is a TV show..
    It was made the basis for a good movie about being filmed for reality tv.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

    Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

    Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

    Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

  12. #27
    CC International Master Space_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    It was made the basis for a good movie about being filmed for reality tv.
    So is it a movie??
    IMABACK

  13. #28
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    where I am not
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.K
    We have created weapons that can wipe out the entire planet just to satisfy our curiosity, that is crazy!
    we had weapons of mass destruction before lord jesus was born. atomic weapons wiped out civilizations thousands of years before us

  14. #29
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia, NSW
    Posts
    203
    Lemme see if I can remember my favourite movies
    Walking Tall
    Welcome to the Jungle
    Hancock
    See no Evil
    The Condemmed
    Superhero Movie
    Semi-Pro
    Blades of Glory
    Johnny English

    The list can go on and on!

    Oh-Austin Power Trilogy!!

  15. #30
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexrules01
    See no Evil
    Or even better - See No Evil. Hear No Evil. starring the legendary Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •