Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC FIDE Master

Australian Open Dec 04/Jan 05

National Championships Dec 04/Jan 05 by Peter Parr (OAM) 30 Jun 2004 ================================================== ==================

I note the cancellation of all events at Mt. Buller.
    An ideal venue is the NSW Bridge Association in Goulburn St, in the central business district in Sydney.

The premises are 588 square metres in one very large room which can comfortably seat well over 200 players.

The room is quiet, the lighting is very good, air conditioning is very good, catering facilities are available.

Very close accommodation is available in all price ranges in the centre of the Sydney CBD. Hyde Park is very close as is a large swimming pool, cinemas etc.

The venue is a short walk from Sydney Central Station.

The NSW Bridge Association set a great example to chess administrators by purchasing the entire level of a new building for $900,000 about 8 years ago and today's valuation would by in excess of $2.5 million.

The NSWCA has rented the premises from time to time (including a previous Australian Open Championship) and in the early years found the rent to be high as the Bridge Association needed to charge higher fees to pay for the premises. The situation is now much better.

The building has been paid for (largely by charging table money daily) and the NSWCA is currently paying a very low fee for the CJS Purdy Memorial Tournament currently in progress at the Bridge Centre (with new chairs).

For an event such as the Australian Open the following would be required.

(a) Availability of premises for 13 days commencing December 28th 2004. (during the holiday period very little Bridge is played)
    (b) reasonable rental - (I estimate under $4000 in total)
    (c) Two sessions - about 150 players - under 1600 rated - 10am - 2pm and main session from 3pm - 8pm about another 150 players.
    (d) Sponsorship co-ordinator - I firmly believe all money raised from sponsors should be returned to the tournament - none should be kept as profit by ACF, State Association and individual organiser. I have organised a number of championships in the past - organiser receives nothing, ACF nothing, NSWCA nothing - balance $00.
    (e) NSWCA have not yet had the time to discuss any proposal but all that is required is confirmation of the venue - everything else is easy - Ample digital clocks and equipment is available, arbiters, etc.
    (f) ACF Approval.

Finally with over 8000 juniors competing in inter school chess matches in NSW alone I'm convinced that the use of a fantastic large well lit, quiet, spacious venue in the heart of the Sydney Central Business District would attract an entry of at least 150 in a 10am-2pm event and another 150 in the 3pm event.

I would be available if required by NSWCA to play a major role on the organising committee of the championships without any fee (last time the organiser was paid $1,000 as well as a share of the considerable profits and a low prize fund structure).

There may of course be other bids for the Australian Open - it had been scheduled for Mt. Buller in Victoria for the last 6 months until it's cancellation a few days ago.

I understand there is an ACF executive meeting to be held by telephone tomorrow evening July 1st 2004.

This is a very positive proposal and I hope will receive serious consideration by the ACF.

All that would need to be done in the next month would be to book the venue.

A detailed scheduled could be finalised with NSWCA and ACF approval within a few weeks of the booking and confirmation of the venue.

Regards
    Peter Parr (OAM)
    Three times former President NSWCA

Chess Discount Sales
    Sydney, Australia
    Web Site http://www.chessdiscountsales.com
    Phone: 02 9211 2994
    Fax: 02 9211 7047

Business address:
    Basement Level
    72 Campbell St
    Surry Hills, Sydney
    2010 Australia

It appears everyone is rather shy towards you Peter. But I'm not. The chess players of Sydney must surely thank you for your initiative and vision.

Quote Originally Posted by peter_parr
    I would be available if required by NSWCA to play a major role on the organising committee of the championships without any fee (last time the organiser was paid $1,000 as well as a share of the considerable profits and a low prize fund structure).
    Yet one would think CDS to enjoy 'blanket' sponsorship - that is, and to borrow a Parliamentary phrase, 'to the exclusion of all others', no? Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by peter_parr
    Peter Parr (OAM)
    Three times former President NSWCA
    Are you not also 6 time Olympiad skipper plus numerous other tele-matches?

All power to you!! See you in your shop tomorrow mate.

AR

I believe the NSWCA has no desire to bid for the event, even if the ACF calls for bids.
    However if Peter is prepared to compile and put forward a formal bid and act as the organiser then I suspect the NSWCA would support it to the ACF as the sponsoring state.

i dont seem to be able to find this question in the constitution, so ill ask here. How many rounds will the australian open be and also will there be a major and minor tournament too?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    i dont seem to be able to find this question in the constitution, so ill ask here. How many rounds will the australian open be and also will there be a major and minor tournament too?

Good question, and just maybe ill be back in time after all?!

This is a worthwhile proposal from Peter Parr and a constructive way forward out of yet another Mount Buller debacle.

At the least it deserves serious consideration by the ACF.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S
    This is a worthwhile proposal from Peter Parr and a constructive way forward out of yet another Mount Buller debacle.

At the least it deserves serious consideration by the ACF.
    have you seen the correspondence from david cordover in the other thread?

have you seen the correspondence from david cordover in the other thread?
    Yes

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    For the Australian Open there is no need for a major or minor event as everyone is eligible to play against the big boys in ye olde monster swiss.

As I recall CV's proposal did indeed include an Australian Open Minor type thing but it was pointed out that such a title doesn't exist so CV were free to hold such an event, so long as it didn't have any name suggesting it was an ACF title.

As for the Open overall - I guess it's up to someone in NSW to put their hands up to be the chief organiser of such an event and work with Peter to compile a formal bid if they want to give this a crack, but they'll need to be quick about it as Council meets in a couple of weeks.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    For the Australian Open there is no need for a major or minor event as everyone is eligible to play against the big boys in ye olde monster swiss.

As I recall CV's proposal did indeed include an Australian Open Minor type thing but it was pointed out that such a title doesn't exist so CV were free to hold such an event, so long as it didn't have any name suggesting it was an ACF title.

As for the Open overall - I guess it's up to someone in NSW to put their hands up to be the chief organiser of such an event and work with Peter to compile a formal bid if they want to give this a crack, but they'll need to be quick about it as Council meets in a couple of weeks.
    Don't forget that the Australian Open at Penrith as run by Brian Jones had supporting events.

The important point here is that the Open remains "open" ie that there are no moves to place a rating restriction on entry to the main event.

My preference though is for the one monster swiss as I regard the Australian Open as a litmus test for gauging ones chess performance against a representative cross section of the Australian chess community.

eclectic

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    The important point here is that the Open remains "open" ie that there are no moves to place a rating restriction on entry to the main event.
    im not suggesting for a second that there be a rating restriction or anything of that nature. I was just asking/hoping that there might be supporting events for those that would rather not play in a monster swiss style event.

My preference though is for the one monster swiss as I regard the Australian Open as a litmus test for gauging ones chess performance against a representative cross section of the Australian chess community.
    and we would be back to the competitive games versus large monster swiss format- which there are many threads already on here for debating this point

CC International Master
    At this year's Doeberl Cup

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan...DoeberlCup.htm

I count 96 under 1600s (including unrateds). Of these 16 exercised their right to play in the Major and 80 preferred to play in the Minor. This is roughly in line with previous years. I think this bears out ggray's comments. There was also a Minor in the 2001 Aust Open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout
    At this year's Doeberl Cup

http://www.netspeed.com.au/ianandjan...DoeberlCup.htm

I count 96 under 1600s (including unrateds). Of these 16 exercised their right to play in the Major and 80 preferred to play in the Minor. This is roughly in line with previous years. I think this bears out ggray's comments. There was also a Minor in the 2001 Aust Open.
    2004 Gold Coast open- 100 entrants total, 35 in the open section- 65 in the u1600 version.

i do have one question regarding dates for australian open/championships. Why is the event played across the new year period, instead of the starting date being just after new years, say on the 3rd january?

i do have one question regarding dates for australian open/championships. Why is the event played across the new year period, instead of the starting date being just after new years, say on the 3rd january?
    Because most peoples Xmas/new year holidays from work start from Xmas with many business's having shutdowns and only skeleton staff during the period.
    If you started after New year then potential players would need to take more days off work which may be impossible/undesirable and hence affect player numbers.

Thread Information