Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Sadly in South eastern suburbs....wild animals are rare visitors. There was a fox visiting caulfield train station once...but just once. Or yes, and we also get occasional parrots flying over.
    Caulfield is buried deep in surburbia so it is no surprise wild animals would be rare. I would have thought that wild animals would be a lot more common in surburbs on the fringes of Melbourne.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver View Post
    Caulfield is buried deep in surburbia so it is no surprise wild animals would be rare. I would have thought that wild animals would be a lot more common in surburbs on the fringes of Melbourne.
    Melbourne must be a lot more urbanised than Brisbane. I'm fairly close to the CBD (five minutes by train), but the park next door has quite a few 'wild' animals, including a large colony of bats.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Melbourne must be a lot more urbanised than Brisbane. I'm fairly close to the CBD (five minutes by train), but the park next door has quite a few 'wild' animals, including a large colony of bats.
    Yes QLD is paradise for wildlife lovers. I still remember seeing kangaroos right on campus of CSU in Rockhamption - that was the highlight of my visit.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Mum and Dad riding close herd on the family - Eagleby Wetlands
    Attachment 4955

^ Nice one, looks identical to mine. 5 cygnets too.
    So what's your excuse? For running like the devil's chasing you?

See you in another life, brotha.

CC International Master
    We have a reasonable selection passing through the backyard - pademelons, possums (both types), rabbits, native hens; also a bandicoot(s), though mainly we identify that from holes in the lawn as they move too quickly for a good video. Various birds fly in or live there, including the occasional kookaburras and black cockatoos and sometimes a heron. We once had a couple of pigeons, possibly racing pigeons (in which case not very good at it) and another time a duck which according to Dr Wikipedia was a piebald muscovy. Plus the odd cat, which will be off to the cat's home when I get fed up.

From time to time there are pelicans on the beach across the road and black swans in the water (Bass Strait).

Your selection prompts me to tick off on my fingers the range of wildlife we get here (I live in an over-50s gated community with two lakes in Eagleby, between two rivers near the coast a bit south of Brisbane)

There are always ducks and coots on the lakes, plus occasional pelicans and swans. And a pair of jabiru for a couple of years

Resident magpies, plovers and wren. Visiting corellas, galahs, rainbow lorikeets, kookaburras

Occasional red-bellied black snakes, and a fox and a hare

Koalas in nearby forest reserves

Account Banned Sir Cromulent Sparkles's Avatar
    About 2 weeks ago at work we had a small visitor that was hopping about in the rear of the business that had attracted the attention of a few middle level managers and staff. As I had just assumed they were going to catch whatever it was I didn't take much notice.

Turns out it was still scurrying around 2 hours later and still in danger of getting run over by various vehicles that were entering the business (plus being attacked by a feral cat that had been sighted that day) so I decided to go check out what it was. Turns out it was a bandicoot and since nobody seemed too bothered about catching it and returning it to a safer environment, I followed it around for about 5-10 minutes until I caught it and then placed it in a box to take home and release in the nearest forest after work (beginners tip - they scratch quite a bit if you pick them up so wear a jacket).

It was quite amusing that one guy I work with keeps insisting it was a bilby even though bilbys have elongated ears. Even more amusing was that most of Indian guys I work with thought it was a large rat.

Thread Information