Rugby League World Cup 2008

I watched a really exciting semi tonight between NZ and England. NZ won 32-22 but it was closer than that. NZ will probably play Aus in the final, but Aus still have to beat Fiji to get there. NZ have never won the world cup, though we have won tournaments which have also involved Aus. Could this be the Kiwis year? A good sogn for the Kiws is that in both games v England (both won) man of the match was our halfback Nathan Fien ( a Kiwi by residency as he plays for the Warriors now). Since Stacey Jones retired from test league this has been a position where NZ have struggled. Go the black and whites!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Who follows international league?

To avoid that terrible fate of a replyless post, I ask one question before heading for bed. Does anyone else on this board follow international rugby league? Or does everyone just assume Aus will win (as admittedly they usually do - but certainly not always against NZ!). I think the final will be close and worth watching on telly (or even at the game if you live in Brisbane).

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC International Master TheJoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    NZ have never won the world cup, though we have won tournaments which have also involved Aus.
    I thought this was the first Rugby League World Cup?

I find it hard to take this tournament seriously when you have players competing for a countries that their grandparents were born in and where they have never even lived. It makes the whole thing a bit of a farce really IMO.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker

I find it hard to take this tournament seriously when you have players competing for a countries that their grandparents were born in and where they have never even lived. It makes the whole thing a bit of a farce really IMO.
    It happens in all sports: football (soccer) is a prime example.

I have not really been following the world cup. Australia's going to win it.

NZ will lose it for themselves

CC International Master
    Having watched both England games last night the League was far and away the better game to watch even with Australia winning the Rugby.

Throw in Man U put 5 past Stoke and Villa's win at the Emirates, who could ask for more?
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Parker
    It happens in all sports: football (soccer) is a prime example.
    I don't think it is very common for an international soccer team to comprise primarily of players who have never resided in that country. Cricket world cup is another example.

But you are right it is becoming more common. For example at the Olympic Games whilst watching some swimming events I surprised at the diversity on countries represented only to find out tat many of them were born and bred Americans competiting for a country, due to heritage. Or some of the Kenyan athletes that have been purchased by the likes of Brunei. If you going to allow that why bother dividing athletes by country?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker
    Seems I was wrong about it being the first, it is the 12th. But the last time it was held was 8 years ago.

Big upset win to NZ

The Kiwis have won the final v Australia 34- 20. Amazing 14 point margin! Biggest result in NZ rugby league history!

I dips me lid. Your guys done real good

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray
    I dips me lid. Your guys done real good
    Congratulations NZ !

Cheers
    Garrett

Thread Information