Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    seems to indicate that the degree to which the work is quoted depends upon whether the use is fair.
    Yes. That is the same conclusion I had reached as discussed above - whether it is fair in the case of extended quoting appears to depend on (a) whether it is really necessary for your purpose to quote that much of it and (b) whether the copyright owner is harmed by you doing so.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Yes. That is the same conclusion I had reached as discussed above - whether it is fair in the case of extended quoting appears to depend on (a) whether it is really necessary for your purpose to quote that much of it and (b) whether the copyright owner is harmed by you doing so.
    Oh, indeed so.

Actually, that's not how it happened. What happened was that Australia, which had a 50 year limit, signed a "Free Trade Agreement" with the United States, which had a longer limit, and as part of that agreement Australia was asked to extend the copyright expiry for the works of the deceased, and did so.
    Did the USA adopt 70 years under pressure from the Republican evangelical born again religious right on the basis that it represents a second lifetime?

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

The 50 year rule was replaced by a 70 year rule in 2005 but the change was not retrospective, so copyright has already expired for the work of anyone who died before 1955, but for those who died in 1955 and after the 70 year rule now applies.
    Thank you.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Did the USA adopt 70 years under pressure from the Republican evangelical born again religious right on the basis that it represents a second lifetime?

DJ
    Actually it was mostly a pressure from Walt Disney (hence it was termed "Mickey Mouse Protection Act"). The campaign was led by Republican Sonny Bono, but I doubt he was from "evangelical born again religious right".
    Sorry to ruin the story.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Actually it was mostly a pressure from Walt Disney (hence it was termed "Mickey Mouse Protection Act"). The campaign was led by Republican Sonny Bono, but I doubt he was from "evangelical born again religious right".
    Sorry to ruin the story.
    Well Disney loses out in 3rd world countries from day one, everything pirated can be bought for 1 buck on the main streets. Sydney for ages too had that facility but a lot closed down and prosecuted.

http://www.pedestrian.tv/entertainme...usic/60075.htm

You wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't steal a handbag...

We all know how the rest goes, because thanks to the Motion Picture Association Of America and their foreign associates, every time you hire a DVD, you have to sit through this ad before you get to the main menu. But in what must be the most delicious slice of irony served this year, it has just been discovered that that the music used to soundtrack this 50-second pain in the ass is actually stolen.

Netherlands composer Melchior Rietveldt composed that ominous techno tune for a local film festival after being asked by anti-piracy group BREIN, who are funded by Hollywood. A few years later, he got himself a copy of Harry Potter on DVD and noticed his music was suddenly being used for much wider use than he had originally agreed to in contract. Which essentially means that when they say 'you wouldn't steal a television', that doesn't quite extend to intellectual property.

Legal estimates put the amount of money Rietveldt is owed by pretty much every movie house on Earth at somewhere close to 1 million. Matters got even worse when the chairman of the board of the royalty collection agency in the Netherlands offered to help recoup the funds - but only if he could take a 33% cut. It's bad timing particularly for the US, where the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is currently a hot topic for its intended transferral of responsibility for pirated from individuals back to small businesses and web hosts. After all, if they can't even look after their own ads, how can they expect anybody else to abide by the law?

Excuse us, we're just going out to steal a handbag.
    meep meep

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner
    You wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't steal a handbag...
    LOL. I hate that spiel. At least here we only have one of several silent but still obnoxious FBI warnings.

After all, if they can't even look after their own ads, how can they expect anybody else to abide by the law?
    That's a riot! I wonder if he first laughed at the irony.
    In regione caecorum rex est luscus ~Erasmus

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. ~Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

I saw a comment from antichrist about Jono posting chunks of an article from the IPA site.

However the IPA site has a copyright announcement that explicitly allows doing so:

http://ipa.org.au/help/copyright

Nonetheless verbatim dragging of whole articles or unnecessarily long portions of articles from the IPA site or any other will probably result in snipping or deletion, especially if no comment on the article's content is posted.

Again there has been a creep-up in posters (one especially) posting large chunks of copyrighted and paywalled material from media without injecting significant original comment in the process.

I've been lenient and just cut a few of these down to size but copyright breach is illegal and not conducive to good debate either so for the next month or so I'll be deleting posts that are severe copyright breaches without warning.

A reminder that just taking out the odd sentence here and there is completely inadequate under the law. As a general rule you should not quote more than three paragraphs unless you meet one of the requirements in post 1.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 26-07-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Thread Information