Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Games

CC International Master AzureBlue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ace vancura
    my best friend at school had the amstrad cpc464 with GREEN SCREEN monitor. i chose to buy the commodore 64 with tape drive at that point in time. we then bought amiga 500s together, then the mighty amiga 1200.

i remeber he still professed that viewing everything on a green screen was preferable to hooking the computer up to the tv as i did with the commodore 64. (i dont think there was a modulator available for the amstrad to allow this anyway)

his love for the green screen monitor still baffles me even now....

i remember other kids at school having

- vic20s
    - the spectrum
    -xt/at
    -atari1020st

the amiga was truly a better machine than i.b.m. in its day. the operating system was terrific. the graphics and games were better. and it was neat the way the whole computer was concealed beneath the keyboard.
    wow.. i've heard of atari..
    but generally i havent tried anything earlier than N64. lol

CC Candidate Master
    I played X-Men 2 clone wars on the sega megadrive 2 the other week

CC International Master
    Defs not my favourite game but I just pulled off a perfect run on counterstrike on professional. I was pretty stoked.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

The games I am best at:

minesweeper. I am world ranked, I've been as high as #45, but I'm now #77, and third in Australia, behind only our own puppubahry and the former world #1.

Tetris. I'm aiming to get 999,999 points on the gameboy version sometime soon, I'm getting not far away.

The games I love:

-Planescape: Torment - this is a fabulous RPG, it feels like it was written by poets and philosophers, not programmers. It is a work of art, and I don't say that lightly. Notwithstanding that, there's plenty of action and fun, not just plot, but I loooove games with good plot and dialogue. For similar reasons, I like the Baldur's gate series.

- Heroes of Might and Magic III - I know there are newer, prettier versions, but this is the game in the franchise that had the magic for me. It's turn-based strategy, so I'm sure many people here would like it . Fabulous plot, and lots of numbers, which piques my interest usually.

- Starcraft. It's a classic. I mean seriously. Can't wait 'till the sequel.

- C&C red alert. Also a classic, with some great ideas.

- Black and white. Who doesn't want to play god?

- the Max Payne series. Very stylish and atmospheric.

- Star Trek: A final Unity. As far as I know, one of the only star trek games not to suck

Games that I used to obsess about that I don't play anymore:

- the diablo series. I loved it, but I know that if I play it much more, I'll be tempted to become addicted to it's improvement, world of crack *ahem* warcraft. If they made a world of starcraft, I'd be there so quick it would not be funny.

- x-wing vs tie fighter - I got pretty friggin good at this game.

A new favourite: Kingdom of loathing. It's a web MMORPG, and wicked funny. It's like a cross between a regular MMORPG and xkcd.com.
    Avatar is a game I played at a party and finished by castling queenside for checkmate, and has a pleasing degree of symmetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Schu
    The games I am best at:

minesweeper. I am world ranked, I've been as high as #45, but I'm now #77, and third in Australia, behind only our own puppubahry and the former world #1.

Tetris. I'm aiming to get 999,999 points on the gameboy version sometime soon, I'm getting not far away.
    Wow I'm really bad at both...
    How do u get world-ranked?

Quote Originally Posted by AzureBlue
    Wow I'm really bad at both...
    How do u get world-ranked?
    You need to finish your score on expert + on intermediate + on beginner must be less than 100 (I got to this point in 2004 with 76, 20 and 3). You need some proof of these games (the most usual way is to play on a special minesweeper clone program that has eliminated a few winmine bugs, and which records mouse movements and clicks and such so a replay file can be created, and to submit these files. Then you have to submit them to the official site, minesweeper.cc, and wait for up to a month for them to ratify it (there are lots of people that try to cheat, so they have to check every one.

I'm currently at 1 on beginner (lucky game, only needed 3 clicks), 14 on intermediate and 52 on expert.

This page tells you which programs are accepted for records.
    Avatar is a game I played at a party and finished by castling queenside for checkmate, and has a pleasing degree of symmetry.

You need to finish your score on expert + on intermediate + on beginner must be less than 100 (I got to this point in 2004 with 76, 20 and 3). You need some proof of these games (the most usual way is to play on a special minesweeper clone program that has eliminated a few winmine bugs, and which records mouse movements and clicks and such so a replay file can be created, and to submit these files. Then you have to submit them to the official site, minesweeper.cc, and wait for up to a month for them to ratify it (there are lots of people that try to cheat, so they have to check every one.

I'm currently at 1 on beginner (lucky game, only needed 3 clicks), 14 on intermediate and 52 on expert.

This page tells you which programs are accepted for records.
    Whoa that's really good!
    I just randomly click and die on anything that isn't beginner
    cos I don't really know how to play it properly...
    what do the numbers mean?

what do the numbers mean?
    They mean that in the 8 squares surrounding it, there are x mines, so if you see an 8, which happens roughly 0.1% of the time in expert, that means the square is completely surrounded by mines. The blank squares that open up a bunch of squares? they're technically zeroes, and they all get opened up automatically (and usually cascade on to other nearby zeroes).

They mean that in the 8 squares surrounding it, there are x mines, so if you see an 8, which happens roughly 0.1% of the time in expert, that means the square is completely surrounded by mines. The blank squares that open up a bunch of squares? they're technically zeroes, and they all get opened up automatically (and usually cascade on to other nearby zeroes).
    So if there's a 7 how do u know which square around it isnt a mine?

You can't. not from the number 7 alone. Usually you can tell by the other nearby numbers, but sometimes you'd be forced to guess: if your first click on the minesweeper board revealed a 7, you'd have a choice of either going for a 1/8 chance of hitting the right empty space, or clicking someone else that has nothing else (directly) to do with the 7.

You can't. not from the number 7 alone. Usually you can tell by the other nearby numbers, but sometimes you'd be forced to guess: if your first click on the minesweeper board revealed a 7, you'd have a choice of either going for a 1/8 chance of hitting the right empty space, or clicking someone else that has nothing else (directly) to do with the 7.
    Seems hard... so minesweepers partly to do with just luck? Cos the first click would have to be quite random, I just click on one of the corners

It is somewhat rare that you can play an entire expert game of minesweeper without having to resort to at least one guess (though not impossible, the first click is always guaranteed to be safe, and if you get a decent opening from that, you can often make it though the whole game without a guess.

The difference is, without solving skills, you will face monumental odds of ever finishing a game on expert (like one of those big numbers with lots of big factorials:1) but without any luck, you will still solve, say, one in 100 I guess.

If your only goal is to clear the board the biggest percentage of times from amount of starts, the corner is the right place to start, because it gives you the most chance for an opening, however if you're going for fast times, the middle is the only way to go - bigger openings, centralisation etc.

It is somewhat rare that you can play an entire expert game of minesweeper without having to resort to at least one guess (though not impossible, the first click is always guaranteed to be safe, and if you get a decent opening from that, you can often make it though the whole game without a guess.

The difference is, without solving skills, you will face monumental odds of ever finishing a game on expert (like one of those big numbers with lots of big factorials:1) but without any luck, you will still solve, say, one in 100 I guess.

If your only goal is to clear the board the biggest percentage of times from amount of starts, the corner is the right place to start, because it gives you the most chance for an opening, however if you're going for fast times, the middle is the only way to go - bigger openings, centralisation etc.
    Really? I thought the first click was just chance!
    I don't think I've ever finished expert or going to anytime soon
    I just randomly click around when I'm bored...
    Wow, you must be really good at minesweeper

Wow, you must be really good at minesweeper
    See for yourself if you like. But like I said, pappubahry is better

See for yourself if you like. But like I said, pappubahry is better
    You've got a lotta minesweeper videos, and they're all so fast! I'd be happy if I could 'survive' difficult level with a time of more than a whole hour

Thread Information