Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    17

    What's your poison?

    MP's. Unfavourable:
    Pd opens 1NT (15-17)

    you hold: AKJ, Jx, J9xxx, ###

    What do you do with this scrappy hand?

    Bruce

  2. #2
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    648
    2S - Asking for a transfer to clubs, which you then bid 3D over. Of course you may miss a 4-3 spade fit

  3. #3
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    17
    shaun wrote:

    2S - Asking for a transfer to clubs, which you then bid 3D over. Of course you may miss a 4-3 spade fit
    Bzzzzzzzzzzz

    Time to phone a friend.

    Bruce.

  4. #4
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    At rubber I'd just bid 3NT and be done with it. 5D doesn't look likely, neither does any game contract in the majors. Don't know the significance of "MP's. Unfavourable" though.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce
    shaun wrote:



    Bzzzzzzzzzzz

    Time to phone a friend.

    Bruce.
    OK. Given that I have 9 points (I'm discounting Jx), and my P has 15-17 (with no 5 card majors otherwise he would have bid it), we have between 24 and 26. I may take a risk (as Barry did) and bid 3NT but it may go off with no H stoppers.
    Of course if it turns out that there is enough for a risk free 3NT then I wonder why partner didn't just reveal his cards to me during the bidding, rather than expect me to guess the right contract.

  6. #6
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    OK. Given that I have 9 points (I'm discounting Jx), and my P has 15-17 (with no 5 card majors otherwise he would have bid it), we have between 24 and 26. I may take a risk (as Barry did) and bid 3NT but it may go off with no H stoppers.
    Of course if it turns out that there is enough for a risk free 3NT then I wonder why partner didn't just reveal his cards to me during the bidding, rather than expect me to guess the right contract.
    With partner holding no better than Q 10 x x in spades I think the J x in hearts have to be of some use. 25 pts should be enough for 3NT in most cases so I think you'd be alright.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    So Bruce of Fairfield, are you going to be dispensing pearls of wisdom on these bidding quizzes? Also are you going to have any on card-play?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    17
    you're all a bunch of pessimists.

    Life's too short. Bid 3NT.

    Bruce
    Fairfield.

  9. #9
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce
    you're all a bunch of pessimists.

    Life's too short. Bid 3NT.
    Everyone except me that is. 3NT was my guess.

    On second thoughts, more bidding questions, please.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •