View Poll Results: What will be the fate of Donald Trump as President? (Poll reset)

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • He will finish his term and be re-elected in 2020

3 75.00%
  • He will finish his term and be the Republican candidate in 2020 but lose

1 25.00%
  • He will finish his term but fail to win the Republican nomination

0 0%
  • He will resign before the end of his term

0 0%
  • He will be removed from office before the end of his term

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 409 of 410 FirstFirst ... 309359399407408409410 LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,135 of 6143
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Interesting. There are also Democrats who miss McCain, but had denounced him as a racist when he ran against Obama. They also now tell us how Romney was such a fine character, but when he ran against Obama he was a terrible misogynist who bound women, although what he meant by "binders full of women" should have been obvious. Americans in a large majority of counties decided that the Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) just ‘cried wolf’ once too often when the same attacks were hurled at Trump.
    I can't recall if they denounced McCain as a racist when he ran against Obama but he famously stopped the rally-attending woman in mid-track when she made rude allegations about Obama - he stated that Obama was a fine man but they just had strongly differing opinions. I probably opposed 90% of McCain's policies but there is no doubt he was a decent person through and through - the completely opposite to Trump. I am yet to detect one redeeming trait of Trump - maybe he is the Official World Champion Liar. The ultimate deceiver just like the Anti-Christ in the "Good Book".
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Interesting. There are also Democrats who miss McCain, but had denounced him as a racist when he ran against Obama. They also now tell us how Romney was such a fine character, but when he ran against Obama he was a terrible misogynist who bound women, although what he meant by "binders full of women" should have been obvious. Americans in a large majority of counties decided that the Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) just ‘cried wolf’ once too often when the same attacks were hurled at Trump.
    The boy who cried wolf analogy of course ends with the wolf showing up and people not realising it. Well, do you?
    meep meep

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    ... it seems comparing people to Hitler is all the rage right now: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...rump-to-hitler
    Last edited by Blunderbuss; 23-07-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    "I am not saying they love each other. Oh, no. Football is not a matter of life and death … it’s much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
    Off topic really but it seems comparing people to Hitler is all the rage right now: https://www.theguardian.com/australi...rump-to-hitler
    I don't think Trump is anywhere close to Hitler. He might want to be Mussolini, but the US system has too many checks and balances to allow even that. I caught Campbell's exchange with Cater, and I was amazed by two things: Campbell's resemblance to Malcolm Tucker (who is based on Campbell) - I expected a barrage of foul language at any moment! - and Cater's repeated refusal to condemn Trump's offensive remarks.

CC Candidate Master Blunderbuss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I don't think Trump is anywhere close to Hitler. He might want to be Mussolini, but the US system has too many checks and balances to allow even that. I caught Campbell's exchange with Cater, and I was amazed by two things: Campbell's resemblance to Malcolm Tucker (who is based on Campbell) - I expected a barrage of foul language at any moment! - and Cater's repeated refusal to condemn Trump's offensive remarks.

The Thick of it along with Veep very funny shows. But how do you satirize Trump?
    "I am not saying they love each other. Oh, no. Football is not a matter of life and death … it’s much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

Hitler and Trump are very different - at least Hitler had some or a principle whereas I am still searching for Trump's
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    The boy who cried wolf analogy of course ends with the wolf showing up and people not realising it. Well, do you?
    The analogy shows that even if we grant the charges against Trump (arguendo), the Leftmedia have lied so much that the American people in the vast majority of counties have stopped listening. This applies to leftist soi-disant comedians like Colbert too. This is a lesson that the Left should not be so quick to throw the charge Raaaaacist around so willy nilly: if a REAL racist arose, would people believe Leftmedia claims about him?

Of course, I see no reason to believe that the Leftmedia are finally crying wolf truthfully. Decades ago, Trump has been in photos with civil rights icons such as Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali, Jesse Jackson, and has a long history of friendship with Oprah Winfrey. Also, black unemployment reached historical lows thanks to Trump's cutting the corporate tax rate and slashing red tape. Trump signed criminal justice reform that has released many blacks incarcerated for way too long for non-violent drug offences. So if Trump is a racist, then he's doing a lousy job of it!
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Hitler and Trump are very different - at least Hitler had some or a principle whereas I am still searching for Trump's.
    Hitler didn't have Jewish grandchildren. Hitler would not have been so friendly to Israel or moved the American embassy in Israel to its capital Jerusalem.

Trump's principle is the good of America, and to some extent America's allies. Sometimes he mistakenly thinks a policy is good for America when it isn't, such as trade barriers. Many times, his policies really have benefited America, such as originalist judicial appointments, cutting corporate tax rates from the highest in the world (companies could use the savings to hire more people and give bonuses to existing staff), slashing red tape, opening up oil pipelines and fracking so that now America is self-sufficient for energy rather than being dependent on Islamist states, increasing school choice, record low unemployment for blacks, Hispanics, and women.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    For those who relied on the Barr report instead of the Mueller Report:
    Mueller was questioned on why he did not bring criminal charges against the president, who had refused to be interviewed. The congressman Ted Lieu of Hawaii asked: “The reason, again, that you did not indict Donald Trump is because of OLC [Office of Legal Counsel] opinion stating that you cannot indict a sitting president, correct?” Mueller replied: “That is correct.”

For those who relied on the Barr report instead of the Mueller Report:
    Mueller was questioned on why he did not bring criminal charges against the president, who had refused to be interviewed. The congressman Ted Lieu of Hawaii asked: “The reason, again, that you did not indict Donald Trump is because of OLC [Office of Legal Counsel] opinion stating that you cannot indict a sitting president, correct?” Mueller replied: “That is correct.”
    But then Müller retracted that:

“I want to add one correction to my testimony this morning," Mueller said. "I want to go back to one thing that was said this morning by Mr. Lieu, who said and I quote, ‘You didn’t charge the President because of the OLC opinion. That is not the correct way to say it. As we say in the report and as I said at the opening, we did not reach a determination as to whether the President committed a crime.”

CC Grandmaster
    But then Müller retracted that:
    “I want to add one correction to my testimony this morning," Mueller said. "I want to go back to one thing that was said this morning by Mr. Lieu, who said and I quote, ‘You didn’t charge the President because of the OLC opinion. That is not the correct way to say it. As we say in the report and as I said at the opening, we did not reach a determination as to whether the President committed a crime.”
    That's not a "retraction" - a word Mueller didn't use. He didn't say that what Lieu said was wrong, but clarified that Lieu hadn't expressed it correctly.

EDIT: From the Guardian article I originally quoted:
    Later he sought to clarify his answer: “As we say in the report, we did not reach a determination as to whether the president committed a crime.” Even so, his assertion directly contradicts a past claim by Trump’s attorney general, William Barr, who had argued the OLC guidelines played no part in Mueller’s thinking. Mueller also acknowledged that a president could be prosecuted after he left office. The Republican congressman Ken Buck asked: “You believe that he committed … you could charge the president of the United States with obstruction of justice after he left office?” Mueller replied: “Yes.”
    Last edited by Patrick Byrom; 25-07-2019 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Explication.

Legal analysis of the Müller hearing

Alan Dershowitz joins Kendall Coffey and Jenna Ellis Rives to talk about Robert Mueller's testimony on Capitol Hill today.

CC Grandmaster
    This should be worrying news for any American, especially as the Republicans are blocking a bill requiring states to have paper backups:
    Just hours after Senate Republicans blocked a vote on a bill to make elections less vulnerable to cyberattacks, the Senate Intelligence Committee released a 67-page report, concluding that, leading up to the 2016 election, Russians hacked voting machines and registration rolls in all 50 states, and they are likely still doing so. The heavily redacted document, based on a two-year investigation, found no evidence that the hackers altered votes or vote tallies, though it says they could have if they’d wanted to. However, three former senior U.S. intelligence officials with backgrounds in cybersecurity told me that the absence of evidence isn’t the same as the evidence of an absence. One of them said, “I doubt very much that any changes would be detectable. Certainly, the hackers would be able to cover any tracks. The Russians aren’t stupid."

I agree with you about that. ↑↑

White Voters Without A Degree Remained Staunchly Republican In 2018

... In 2016, educational divides emerged as one of the top explanations of voters’ choices: White voters without a bachelor’s degree made up the Republican base, while a coalition of nonwhite voters and white college graduates formed the Democratic base. The 2018 midterms seemed to continue what we saw in 2016: Districts with bigger black populations, Hispanic populations or college-educated non-Hispanic white populations tended to vote more Democratic, while non-college-educated white voters remained strongly loyal to the GOP. We found a clear negative relationship (R = -0.72) between the Democratic margin of victory in a district and the share of the district’s population age 25 or older who are non-Hispanic white and lack a bachelor’s degree — a group that pundits often call the “white working class.”1 ...
    meep meep

Thread Information