View Poll Results: Who will win? (This poll asks who will win, not who do you want to win)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clinton (350+ EC votes)

2 18.18%
  • Clinton (300-349 EC votes)

5 45.45%
  • Clinton (270-299 EC votes)

2 18.18%
  • Trump (270-299 EC votes)

0 0%
  • Trump (300-349 EC votes) - CORRECT

1 9.09%
  • Trump (350+ EC votes)

1 9.09%
  • No electoral college majority

0 0%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 325 of 341 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,875 of 5109
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Who says that this Nephew person is a Republican? If he is at any American university, he is probably a rabid leftard.
    I wasn't referring to Nephew, just making a general comment.

No comment on the actual Trump leak?

CC Grandmaster
    Where is the actual evidence that Trump was being investigated? What are the exact charges? It wasn't Russia's fault that Trump won. It was the fault of all those who voted for him.
    Charges normally come at the end of an investigation.

So are you saying that it's your "fault" that Trump won?

CC Grandmaster
    Although whether Trump himself was under investigation originally no longer matters, now that Comey has accused him of obstructing justice:
    Donald Trump directly asked the former FBI director, James Comey, to drop an investigation into his former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, according to notes kept at the time by Comey and first reported on Tuesday by the New York Times. “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go,” Trump told Comey, according to Comey’s record of the meeting, as reported by the Times. “He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Charges normally come at the end of an investigation.
    Apparently not, since Comey showed that Hillary was grossly negligent but didn't charge her anyway. Hardly surprising from someone as conniving as Comey, a willing participant in the over-criminalizing of America. He made his name by going Inspector Javert on Martha Stewart on one of the far too many malum prohibitum crimes in America, to score a notch on his belt. Later, under his leadership, the FBI made a dhimmitudinous purge of almost 1000 pages of documents offensive to Muslims, enabling more Islamonazi terrorism. Trump's firing him was long overdue, but there were procedures, such as recommendations from Comey's immediate superiors.

The Comey Memo: The Allegation Is Serious, and There Is No Good Outcome

But — and this is vitally important to everyone at DEFCON 1 on Twitter — we don’t know yet if the New York Times account is true. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr raised reasonable objections:

“I actually believe the director might have told us that there’d been a request like that and it was never mentioned by him,” the North Carolina Republican told reporters. “So somebody’s going to have to do more than have anonymous sources on this one for me to believe that there’s something there.”

Lindsay Graham — no fan of Trump — also raised a legitimate point: “If this happened, the FBI director should have done something about it or quit,” Graham said. “If the president asked the FBI director to do something inappropriate, the FBI director should have said no and quit.” The bottom line is that Americans need to see the memo, if it exists.

So are you saying that it's your "fault" that Trump won?
    Yes
    “The best part of adopting conservatism after years of leftism, by the way, is how much easier life becomes. If you’re a conservative, facts are generally all you need to establish a case or mount an argument. If you’re a leftist, however, you always have to find a way around the facts, which is why combative lefties always sound like lawyers knowingly representing a guilty client.”—Tim Blair

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Based on the rumours swirling around it seems that perhaps Trump fired Comey because (a) he would not pledge loyalty to Trump personally, and (b) he would not stop investigating Michael Flynn. Of course the Whitehouse denies this but if true it would seem to make more sense than the Hillary email thing which Trump had previously praised Comey for. But let see if this memo surfaces and if Trump has the tapes he threatened Comey with. Interesting days ahead.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Grandmaster
    Apparently not, since Comey showed that Hillary was grossly negligent but didn't charge her anyway. Hardly surprising from someone as conniving as Comey, ...
    Isn't it strange that you only turned against Comey once he started attacking Trump

... Trump's firing him was long overdue, but there were procedures, such as recommendations from Comey's immediate superiors.
    But Rosenstein didn't actually recommend firing him - that was the decision of Trump and Sessions. And if Comey was fired on the basis of that recommendation - which is doubtful - then he was fired because he was too zealous in the Clinton investigation. This is the opposite of your claim. Again, isn't it strange that he was fired just after he apparently refused to stop an investigation into Trump

Quote Originally Posted by National Review via Capablanca-Fan View Post
    ... The bottom line is that Americans need to see the memo ...
    Definitely.

UPDATE: According to Trump himself, he was going to fire Comey whatever recommendation he received:
    Update, May 12: After we posted our story, NBC News posted the full interview with Trump. The president said that he thought about “this Russia thing with Trump and Russia” when he decided to fire Comey.
    “[Rosenstein] made a recommendation, but regardless of recommendation I was going to fire Comey, knowing there was no good time to do it,” Trump said. “And, in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said, ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won.’”
    As Rincewind implied, it's hard to believe that Trump suddenly decided that Comey needed to be fired for something that happended months ago, and which Trump had praised Comey for.
    Last edited by Patrick Byrom; 17-05-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Isn't it strange that you only turned against Comey once he started attacking Trump
    What are you on about now? There was something very wrong when Comey laid out all of Hillary's gross negligence that endangered lives, then decided not to prosecute anyway. Then we found out Comey's history: how he got a promotion for jailing a celebrity for one of the many malum prohibitum laws that should not be a crime.

Anyway, here is something from a left-wing law professor, who is certainly concerned about Trump but thinks there is no evidence to im:

The Comey memo offers no proof for impeachment of Trump
    BY JONATHAN TURLEY

However, if this is food for obstruction of justice, it is still an awfully thin soup. Some commentators seem to be alleging criminal conduct in office or calling for impeachment before Trump completed the words of his inaugural oath of office. Not surprising, within minutes of the New York Times report, the response was a chorus of breathless “gotcha” announcements. But this memo is neither the Pentagon Papers nor the Watergate tapes. Indeed, it raises as many questions for Comey as it does Trump in terms of the alleged underlying conduct.

A good place to start would be with the federal law, specifically 18 U.S.C. 1503. The criminal code demands more than what Comey reportedly describes in his memo. There are dozens of different variations of obstruction charges ranging from threatening witnesses to influencing jurors. None would fit this case. That leaves the omnibus provision on attempts to interfere with the “due administration of justice.”

These men were obviously not fond of each other. Comey reportedly said that Trump was “outside the realm of normal” and possibly “crazy.” Trump has called Comey a “showboat” and equally disdainful remarks. Whether it is a memorandum for record or a diary entry, one-sided accounts of conversations generally fall short of compelling evidence with this type of history of tension.

For all of these reasons, we need to move beyond the hyperventilated pronouncements of criminal conduct or impeachable offenses based on this memo. This conversation in the Oval Office is a valid matter of concern and worthy of further investigation. It is not proof of an impeachable offense any more than it is proof of a crime.

But Rosenstein didn't actually recommend firing him - that was the decision of Trump and Sessions.
    You quoted “[Rosenstein] made a recommendation, but regardless of recommendation I was going to fire Comey, knowing there was no good time to do it,”
    “The best part of adopting conservatism after years of leftism, by the way, is how much easier life becomes. If you’re a conservative, facts are generally all you need to establish a case or mount an argument. If you’re a leftist, however, you always have to find a way around the facts, which is why combative lefties always sound like lawyers knowingly representing a guilty client.”—Tim Blair

CC Grandmaster
    I'm sure the special prosecutor just appointed to investigate Trump will be inquiring into what he said to Comey.

CC Grandmaster
    The Comey memo offers no proof for impeachment of Trump
    BY JONATHAN TURLEY

These men were obviously not fond of each other. Comey reportedly said that Trump was “outside the realm of normal” and possibly “crazy.” Trump has called Comey a “showboat” and equally disdainful remarks. Whether it is a memorandum for record or a diary entry, one-sided accounts of conversations generally fall short of compelling evidence with this type of history of tension. For all of these reasons, we need to move beyond the hyperventilated pronouncements of criminal conduct or impeachable offenses based on this memo. This conversation in the Oval Office is a valid matter of concern and worthy of further investigation. It is not proof of an impeachable offense any more than it is proof of a crime.
    As Comey has a reputation for honesty, and Trump doesn't (there's an understatement!), I'm not sure that the two should be treated as equally reliable witnesses.

But now that a special prosecutor has (finally!) been appointed, this is hypothetical. Nobody is likely to start impeachment proceedings until the prosecutor has been given a chance to do his work.

And what the last few months have shown is that there is always another Trump stupidity (or worse) to uncover - it now appears that he appointed Flynn even though he knew that Flynn was being investigated for secretly working as a paid lobbyist for Turkey.

Wink

Breaking: FBI Uncovers Evidence That 62 Million Trump Voters are All Russian Agents
    Yuri Silverbaum, New York Times, 28 March 2017

Anonymous sources within the FBI have revealed to The Times that they have new evidence indicating that everyone who voted for Donald Trump is an agent of the FSB (formerly the KGB). An unknown portion of these voters may have had their minds controlled by a Russian space-beam, agents close to the investigation say.

The allegation that 62 million Americans appear to be employed by Russian intelligence services has rocked the Bureau, and it is reported that multiple agents have taken their own lives, given that realizing just how deep this Russian hacking conspiracy runs blew their minds – literally.

CC Grandmaster
    Why would the Russians spend billions of rubles on mind control, when they can rely on "useful idiots" like Trump and his supporters to do the same work for nothing
    The “polezni durak” or “useful idiot” was a concept from Soviet times, Hayden writes, some naïve soul who’s “manipulated by Moscow, secretly held in contempt, but whose blind support is happily accepted and exploited.”

CC Grandmaster
    And now it appears that Rosenstein knew that Trump had decided to fire Comey when he wrote his report.

Rand Paul: Sessions' sentencing plan would ruin lives
    By Rand Paul, 15 May 2017

The attorney general on Friday made an unfortunate announcement that will impact the lives of millions of Americans: he issued new instructions for prosecutors to charge suspects with the most serious provable offenses, "those that carry the most substantial guidelines sentence, including mandatory minimum sentences."

Mandatory minimum sentences have unfairly and disproportionately incarcerated a generation of minorities. Eric Holder, the attorney general under President Obama, issued guidelines to U.S. Attorneys that they should refrain from seeking long sentences for nonviolent drug offenders.

I agreed with him then and still do. In fact, I'm the author of a bipartisan bill with Senator Leahy to change the law on this matter. Until we pass that bill, though, the discretion on enforcement—and the lives of many young drug offenders—lies with the current attorney general

The attorney general's new guidelines, a reversal of a policy that was working, will accentuate the injustice in our criminal justice system. We should be treating our nation's drug epidemic for what it is—a public health crisis, not an excuse to send people to prison and turn a mistake into a tragedy.

And make no mistake, the lives of many drug offenders are ruined the day they receive that long sentence the attorney general wants them to have.
    If I told you that one out of three African-American males is forbidden by law from voting, you might think I was talking about Jim Crow 50 years ago.

By design, mandatory sentencing laws take discretion away from judges so as to impose harsh sentences, regardless of circumstances. Our prison population, meanwhile, has increased by over 700% since the 1980s, and 90% of them are nonviolent offenders. The costs of our prison system now approach nearly $100 billion a year. It costs too much, in both the impact on people's lives and on our tax dollars.

I want to go the opposite way from the attorney general. That's why I've partnered with Senator Leahy and once again will be reintroducing the Justice Safety Valve Act.

This isn't about legalizing drugs. It is about making the punishment more fitting and not ruining more lives.
    The legislation is short and simple. It amends current law to grant judges authority to impose a sentence below a statutory mandatory minimum.

In other words, we are not repealing mandatory minimums on the books -- we are merely allowing a judge to issue a sentence below a mandatory minimum if certain requirements are met.

Pew Research found that 67% of Americans want drug offenders to get treatment, not prison, and over 60% want an end to mandatory minimum sentences.

I urge the attorney general to reconsider his recent action. But even more importantly, I urge my colleagues to consider bipartisan legislation to fix this problem in the law where it should be handled. Congress can end this injustice, and I look forward to leading this fight for justice.

Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz explains on Fox News that President Donald Trump committed "no crime" in alleged Trump-Russia collusion

Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz, a liberal who voted for Hillary Clinton, believes Mueller’s appointment will help Trump — not bring his downfall like so many Democrats want.

“I just don’t see a crime here,” Dershowitz said Friday on Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

Dershowitz explained that even if Democratic theories about Trump and Russia are true — that Trump’s presidential campaign colluded with Russia last year to undermine Hillary Clinton’s campaign and bolster Trump’s chances at winning the White House — it amounts only to “political wrongdoing.”

“Nobody can point me to a statute that would be violated [by the Trump-Russia collusion],” Dershowitz said. “And a prosecutor is only allowed to look for evidence of a federal crime.”

Instead, Dershowitz told show host Tucker Carlson that Mueller’s appointment will benefit Trump because Mueller is a “very honorable” man who won’t leak information, because the proceedings will happen out of the public eye and because Mueller will find no evidence of a crime. At most, Dershowitz said Mueller might issue a report, which the law professor said would be “improper.”

Dershowitz explained again that “taking advantage” of what WikiLeaks did is “not a crime.”

Later in the interview, Dershowitz also destroyed the Democratic claim that Trump committed obstruction of justice when he fired FBI Director James Comey earlier this month. Dershowitz said that Trump isn’t committing obstruction if he’s performing his constitutional duties, which he said involves directing the Department of Justice as head of the executive branch.

“I don’t see any crime here at all,” Dershowitz said, referring to Comey’s dismissal.

The Harvard professor went on to say that a lot of what is happening right now in the government is top officials trying to protect their reputations but also trying to stay in good graces with Trump.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Has Dershowitz commented on whether Trump allegedly asking Comey to stop investigating Flynn is a crime?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information