Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    I might have to order another one. Doesn't exactly make me look glamorous but the one I got last year has turned out to be a great gardening T Shirt... slogan or no slogan.
    I have one chess T-shirt.. the only time I wore it was when I was washing my horse....
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    I have one chess T-shirt.. the only time I wore it was when I was washing my horse....
    Exactly the sort of thing it's made for I'd suggest... whatever works for you.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    Black? White? Or all four of them?
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    I was actually washing a black and white horse....
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

CC Candidate Master

T Shirts and Entries

Hi all,

Good to see chess shirts being out and about on all kinds of activities and not stuck in other chess tournaments! . The details for the statesman hotel about 1km from the venue are now up on the web.

We have breached the 150 mark with 158 players entered more than a month out from the event. Trophies are ordered (nice shiny metal ones ) and we had four indonesian players enter last night. With 40 players who are registered with overseas federations it is a good interantional field.

CC Candidate Master

Premier Full and T Shirts

Hi all,

We have filled the Premier a little earlier than last year. Due to the number of titled and overseas players we have attracted this year we are going to allow an additional 10 entries into the Premier. The remaining twenty discretionary places will remain open. When the final 10 are filled we will close it for this year.

A reminder that horse washing and gardening shirt orders close on Monday next week to allow us time to get them printed.

CC Candidate Master

Junior Prizes

Hi all,

We have finalised the junior prizes that have been sponsored by Mr Baldev Bedi. The Bedi Cup for the Best Australian Junior is named after the sponsor of the Australian Junior Prizes, Mr Baldev Bedi a local resident of Canberra. The Pooja Cup for the Best Australian Female Junior in the Minor earns its name from the Hindi word Pooja which is related to dedication and belief and focuses on disciplining the mind to prevent it wandering about on different things. Pooja is also a very popular name for women in Indian, especially in the Northern areas of India.

Players must be under 18 years old on the day that their tournament begins to be eligible for Australian Junior Prizes. Prizes will be awarded in addition to any other prize money that is won. Should two juniors be eligible for a prize by achieving the same score they will share the Junior prize money on offer. All Juniors that are awarded prizes will have their names engraved on their respective perpetual trophies. These are the Bedi Cup for the Best Australian Junior and the Pooja Cup for the Best Australian Female Junior in the Minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles
    ... Players must be under 18 years old on the day that their tournament begins to be eligible for Australian Junior Prizes ...
    What is the rationale for deviating from the standard definition, that is, U18 on January 1?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    What is the rationale for deviating from the standard definition, that is, U18 on January 1?
    yes rule 5.3 of the grandprix rules ought to apply given that this is registered as a grand prix event

Correct.
    That is the FIDE and ACF definition and the one used for the junior prize for the ACF Grand Prix.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC Candidate Master

Newsletter and update

Hi all,

The latest newsletter is on the streets this evening. We have opened a further 10 slots in the Premier due to the large number of overseas and titled players that signed up this year. We will close the Premier Tournament at 90 players (discretionary slots will remain open to strengthen the tournament beyond this). Shirt orders also need to be all received and paid for by Tuesday evening so that we can begin printing.

I want to take this opportunity to thank my team of Emma, Lara, Nyssa, and Steve who are working to make this a success this year. So far we have managed to raise $8,300 from six sponsors to offset costs or supplement the event. While this is still substantially less than we need to cover the costs of the tournament it provides a substantial base to build from. Not bad in these economic times.

We are also paying a person to enter all of the games for the tournament this year. This was an area we did not do so well at last year so this should fix this up. While this provides little short term tangible benefit to players at the event we believe that it provides a significant investment to the Australian chess database and our goal with the Doeberl is to build Australian chess hence this investment.

We are also purchasing professional lightling equipment to improve the quality of the YouTube videos that we are producing. This year we hope to do more player profiles so that all of australia chess can get to know their players in more detail. We had to do alot of experimenation and threw away alot of video last year until we worked out formats that were easy to record and produce.

Lastly thanks to all the players who are coming. We had 183 entries four weeks out from the start of the Premier event - that excites me.

CC Candidate Master

Under 18 rule

Tony,

Thanks for your query. The Doeberl Cup has always based its Junior entry fee on the first day of the tournament. The prizes are aligned with this. Additionally our approach to allocation of the prizes is aligned with the Grand Prix approach. The Grand Prix runs for a full calendar year and requires Juniors to be under 18 on the first day they can start accruing points towards the Grand Prix prize which is the 1/1 of each year. In the case of the Doeberl cup this is the first day of the respective tournaments that prizes are allocated within.

Look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Additionally our approach to allocation of the prizes is aligned with the Grand Prix approach.
    No it isnt.
    The Grand Prix runs for a full calendar year and requires Juniors to be under 18 on the first day they can start accruing points towards the Grand Prix prize which is the 1/1 of each year. In the case of the Doeberl cup this is the first day of the respective tournaments that prizes are allocated within.
    Sorry but you do not know what you are talking about as this is not the ACF Grand Prix ACF or FIDE approach.

The ACF Grand Prix and the ACF follows the FIDE approach that is based on the juniors age as at the 1st Jan and can entry and win any event within that calendar year in which the competition is held

Thus if a junior is under 18 as of 1st Jan 2009 then they are eligle to enter and win any U18 FIDE event that is held in between 1st January 2009 and 31st December 2009.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

Tony,

Thanks for your query. The Doeberl Cup has always based its Junior entry fee on the first day of the tournament. The prizes are aligned with this. Additionally our approach to allocation of the prizes is aligned with the Grand Prix approach. The Grand Prix runs for a full calendar year and requires Juniors to be under 18 on the first day they can start accruing points towards the Grand Prix prize which is the 1/1 of each year. In the case of the Doeberl cup this is the first day of the respective tournaments that prizes are allocated within.
    Sorry Charles ... I don't understand I don't see any logical reason to deviate from Jan 1st - but its been a long week and maybe it will be clear to me in the morning.

Are you redefining the notion of a calendar year as starting on the first day of the Doeberl Cup?

Yes, see you soon. I should know which event I'm playing in soon.

Thread Information