Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    I am not sure where to draw the line here, I think it is a fine one. However, I do not think that swimmers should be allowed to wear full-body suits that assist their movement through the water. If that, why not flippers?
    Presumably flippers add leverage, while body suits merely lessen friction. A comparison would be weightlifters: they are allowed to add powder on their hands to avoid slippage when gripping the barbell, but are not allowed to use a car jack.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Will via Jono
    Barry Bonds, who already has 703 career home runs, will begin a game with 754, one short of Henry Aaron's record. Would you cross the street to see Bonds hit number 755?
    Quite a few people apparently did (the record went in 2007 amid much hype.)

Bonds is currently facing a federal indictment for alleged perjury and obstruction of justice on steroid-related matters.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    *bump*

This thread is only ten years old and as such isn't even the oldest thread I've had an email about lately but readers may find this of interest:

To whom it may concern,

Chess Chat has posted an interview with Prof. Julian Savulescu: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....lian-Savulescu

Me and Prof. Julian Savulescu have also published an article on doping in chess. Maybe this could be interesting for your readership:

https://link.springer.com/article/10...152-018-9354-y

Kind regards,
    Emilian Mihailov

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    *bump*

This thread is only ten years old and as such isn't even the oldest thread I've had an email about lately but readers may find this of interest:
    Thanks for posting. I did indeed find it of interest, and agree with Dr Savulescu on this topic anyway, e.g. "Premature regulation runs the risk of creating a detrimental culture of suspicion that ascribes unwarranted blame."
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Thanks for the transcript, RW. I missed the show, but it was interesting. He also favours selling of organs, as discussed here a while ago.
    You mean I could end up with Capa Fan's brain and politics - please spare me, just put me in the coffin.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information