Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Science stories

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzureBlue
    Wow... is that literally a piece of... cheese?
    it's not the moon

Optic nerve fibres re-route themselves in order to preserve vision in a girl born with 1/2 a brain:

http://www.livescience.com/health/09...ye-vision.html
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

Astronomical questions

What colour is the sun?
    White is the nearest. That's why white things look white in sunlight. The traditional yellow colour in pictures comes from the fact that most people look more or less directly at the sun when it is less intense near the horizon, where the atmosphere has scattered much blue light out of the line of sight. Even up in the sky, there is a contrast effect with the blue sky. It's peak wavelength is green, but its colour depends on all the wavelengths and the eye's sensitivity to them. If anything, the sun has a pinkish tinge.

What colour is the moon?
    Black, to an approximation. Much of the surface facing earth is the black rock volcanic basalt (the maria).
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 25-08-2009 at 12:02 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

In the SMH today were a couple of fascinating science stories. The first was about "jet lightning". Then later they had an item about "morning glory clouds". The paper's source about the clouds story looked to be this entry by NASA.

Just beautiful stuff.

AR

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    In the SMH today were a couple of fascinating science stories. The first was about "jet lightning". Then later they had an item about "morning glory clouds". The paper's source about the clouds story looked to be this entry by NASA.
    I went to an applied maths talk a couple of years go on these clouds and the story I got was they were caused by a special sort of wave called a soliton in a stratified atmosphere. I'll try and dig up the abstract at work tomorrow and post more details if I can.

Anyone interested in the maths the governing equation is known as the KdV equation (because that's easier to say that Korteweg-de Vries). More details on KdV is here and here.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

A new species of giant rat has been discovered deep in the jungle of Papua New Guinea.

Giant rat found in 'lost volcano'

Although far from the largest rodent, it appears to be a true rat (genus Rattus) and if that is confirmed will be the largest extant species of that genus.

R.o.u.s.
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Was it teaching adolescent turtles kung fu?
    meep meep

meep meep

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar

Thumbs up New species found! (Giant Rat)

Excitement!

A new species of rat has been discovered near a volcano in New Guinea.

The specimen captured was 82cm long and weighed over 1.5kgs... one of the scientists was quoted as saying: "I had a cat and it was about the same size as this rat!"

More details here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth...00/8210394.stm
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Excitement!

A new species of rat has been discovered near a volcano in New Guinea.
    Did you look up 5 posts before submitting this post?

Researchers: Nano-cocktail could target, kill cancerous tumors

University research teams mix nanomaterials that give tumors a one-two punch in trials

Teams of researchers from three universities are jointly developing a nanotechnology cocktail that should target and kill cancerous tumors.

The mixture of two different-sized nanoparticles work with the body's bloodstream to seek out, stick to and kill tumors, according to MIT. The nanomaterials, which are a thousand times smaller than the diameter of a human hair, are injected into the patient's vein. One nanomaterial is designed find the cancerous tumor and then adhere to it, while the second nanomaterial is designed to then kill the tumor.

meep meep

“As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Interesting

Interesting chess analogy to scientific laws discovery. Thanks TSK!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    "Extinct" frog rediscovered in NSW

A frog not seen alive since 1980 and thought to be possibly extinct as a result of chytrid fungus (which has KOd many frog species) has been found alive in the wild.

As far as I can tell the frog did not have Extinct status at any of state, national or IUCN level and thus the formal lists were (for once) appropriately cautious about whether the species had really snuffed it. This is a common precaution where the last record is less than 50 years ago though I am aware of cases where that precaution has unwisely been neglected, even with poorly researched species. The media reports may be slightly exaggerating the extent of confidence that the species was gone.

Frank Sartor has been gilding the lily rather more than a little by claiming that this is as significant as if the thylacine was rediscovered. It is a highly significant and extremely welcome find but it is neither as improbable nor as significant a find as rediscovering the thylacine. Obvious reasons why the rediscovery of the frog was more likely included the small size of the species (hence more chance of missing a colony), the shorter time for which it had been AWOL, the comparatively lesser amount of search effort, and the initial decline being mainly caused by a single factor rather than a cocktail in the case of the thylacine. Also while any extinction is terrible, the extinction of the thylacine represented a far greater loss of genetic diversity than the extinction of a frog from a genus with 150+ species.

Thread Information