Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
Results 511 to 518 of 518

Thread: Science stories

  1. #511
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    ^^^
    Interesting.

    Also here's a rebuttal of the current wave of media reporting about mobile phones causing people to grow horns in their heads:

    https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...-sprout-horns/
    I heard yesterday, maybe on RN, that the greatest radiation is being emitted from AM radio stations??? so that is where you get it...
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  2. #512
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,119

    Exoplanets

    Water Discovered in the Atmosphere of an Exoplanet in the Habitable zone. It Might Be Rain

    Astronomers using the Hubble space telescope have discovered water in the atmosphere of an exoplanet in its starís habitable zone. If confirmed, it will be the first time weíve detected wateróa critical ingredient for life as we know itóon an exoplanet. The water was detected as vapour in the atmosphere, but the temperature of the planet means it could sustain liquid water on its surface, if itís rocky.

    The planet is called K2-18b, and itís about 110 light years away. The planet is much different than Earth. Itís a Super-Earth, and itís twice as large as Earth, and about 8 times as massive. K2-18b is orbiting a red dwarf star, and it was first discovered in 2015 by the Kepler Space Telescope. ...

  3. #513
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,436
    Just as chess can be described as a brilliant waste of time space travel/exploration can be described as a brilliant waste of money.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  4. #514
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Just as chess can be described as a brilliant waste of time space travel/exploration can be described as a brilliant waste of money.
    Speaking of wasting money - without the brilliance: "Other successful motions included support for a national watchdog to verify scientific papers that are used in government policy making. Queensland MP George Christensen, who sponsored the motion, said he was concerned by researchers pushing "left wing causes"."

    Obviously this is not going to go anywhere, but the idea is just idiotic. Firstly, there is already a check on scientific papers - it's called peer review. Secondly, how exactly would papers be 'verified'? And who would do the 'verification'?

  5. #515
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,119
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    Just as chess can be described as a brilliant waste of time space travel/exploration can be described as a brilliant waste of money.
    It's human nature, to go wherever man has never gone before

    As Jodi Foster says in Contact, if there's nothing out there, it seems like an awful waste of space

  6. #516
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    It's human nature, to go wherever man has never gone before

    As Jodi Foster says in Contact, if there's nothing out there, it seems like an awful waste of space
    In earlier times man was driven by survival needs to explore but what possible use could water be a million miles away? We know that only a fraction of the expenditure on armaments and defence could "solve" the world's problems. Space expenditure fits into the same category. Of course there are side benefits but they are only minimal in comparison to the money spent. North Korean people are starving whilst their leaders cheer rockets and bombs - how sickening! That is WW2 mentality not Bertrand Russell post war enlightenment reaction.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

  7. #517
    CC Grandmaster Ian Murray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,119
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    In earlier times man was driven by survival needs to explore but what possible use could water be a million miles away? We know that only a fraction of the expenditure on armaments and defence could "solve" the world's problems. Space expenditure fits into the same category. Of course there are side benefits but they are only minimal in comparison to the money spent. North Korean people are starving whilst their leaders cheer rockets and bombs - how sickening! That is WW2 mentality not Bertrand Russell post war enlightenment reaction.
    Columbus didn't sail across the Atlantic for survival. He was an explorer, for its own sake.

    Finding an exoplanet in the habitable temperature-range distance from its sun (the Goldilocks zone) with atmospheric water vapour, and maybe surface water, is a major discovery. That's one of the prerequisites for life as we know it. It's not of any possible use 110 light years away, but that's not the point. It's adding to the store of human knowledge.

  8. #518
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    Columbus didn't sail across the Atlantic for survival. He was an explorer, for its own sake.

    Finding an exoplanet in the habitable temperature-range distance from its sun (the Goldilocks zone) with atmospheric water vapour, and maybe surface water, is a major discovery. That's one of the prerequisites for life as we know it. It's not of any possible use 110 light years away, but that's not the point. It's adding to the store of human knowledge.
    I know we can say that too many people should not have been born so it is not scientists' fault and their scientific funding should not be denied to feed the starving masses but it is callous and inhumane. I only seen on SBS program on Hitler last night how his exploits for WW2 was based on more land for Germans. Scientists were responsible for the vaccinations etc that kept too many children alive (terrible to say) and Capa Fan's argument is that that they are doing a fantastic job with science of feeding all those extra mouths (and souls) but we also know how the biosphere is virtually on it's last legs in trying to remain viable. The forests burning in Asia and south America etc etc. - all for more resources. Now super typhoons due to climate change probably, parts of the Bahamas wiped out. Central Philippines wiped out about 6 years ago in a similar fashion. Nothing has changed since Albert Einstein pronounced that the splitting of the atom has changed everything except our mode of thinking. That atom is a symbol of the whole industrialised and de-natured world. And just to prove the point that saying of Einstein is not included in his 30 greatest quotes.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Chess Christmas Stories
    By Dozy in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
  2. Weight loss stories.
    By Garrett in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 24-07-2008, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •