Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo
    Daniel played like a super GM today and didn't make any mistakes, except that he could have won quicker with 30. Rd1! Re8+ 31. Kxd5 Rd8+ 32. Kc6 Rxd1 33. b6. After that he had to find the absolutely brilliant move 32. Rc3!!, sacrificing a Rook or a Bishop! If then I took the B with 32. ... Ng6+ 33. Kxf5 Rd5+ 34. Ke4 Rxa5 35. Rc4! wins. Later if 34. ... Rd5+ 35. Kg4 Rxa5 36. b8=Q Rxa4+ 37. Kf3, now surprizingly Black cannot hold onto his Knight, so W would win the Q & 2Ps vs. R & 2Ps on the K-side.
    Yes, 32.Rc3!! was a truly amazing move. At first I thought it was a typo or something but it gradually dawned on me that it seemed to work in all variations (Did it come as a surprise Solo?)

CC Candidate Master
    Results today:
    Croad - Smith draw
    Solomon - Lukey 1-0
    Baider - Johansen draw
    Reilly - Toth 0-1
    Steadman - Watson 1-0

Leaders : Solomon 5.5; Johansen, Toth, Croad 5. It will be a very interesting last round including Toth - Solomon.

My game today was fascinating, and Stephen did the funniest thing ever in my chess experience! I'll explain when I annotate the game hopefully straight after the tournament. He is having a bad event but I know how well he can play and he achieved an IM norm at Queenstown. I hope he plays his best at the Olympiad for NZ.
    I played my best for Him Pa Rumpumpumpum

Do what you do do well

Well done young Baider, drawing with a GM. Fantastic !!!
    The Solo's have it !!

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo
    Results today:
    Croad - Smith draw
    Solomon - Lukey 1-0
    Baider - Johansen draw
    Reilly - Toth 0-1
    Steadman - Watson 1-0

Leaders : Solomon 5.5; Johansen, Toth, Croad 5. It will be a very interesting last round including Toth - Solomon.

My game today was fascinating, and Stephen did the funniest thing ever in my chess experience! I'll explain when I annotate the game hopefully straight after the tournament. He is having a bad event but I know how well he can play and he achieved an IM norm at Queenstown. I hope he plays his best at the Olympiad for NZ.
    Yeah, that was a strange one; I thought that line wasn't supposed to be that hot for White:

Solomon,S (2478) - Lukey,S (2288) [C17]
    2008 George Trundle NZ Masters (8.5), 04.10.2008

PGN Viewer

Lukey should do well in the Olympiad as long as NZ plays GM-rich teams
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 04-10-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: fixed PGN
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddling
    Well done young Baider, drawing with a GM. Fantastic !!!
    Baider,D (2091) - Johansen,D (2452) [E12]
    2008 George Trundle NZ Masters (8.2), 04.10.2008

PGN Viewer

“The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Final Scores:
    IM event:
    1st equal: Johansen, Solomon 6/9; 3rd Toth 5½; 4th and trophy for highest-placed New Zealander: Nic Croad 5; 5th= Steadman, Smith 4½; 7th Baider 4; 8th Watson 3½; 9th= Reilly, Lukey 3.
    Qualifier:
    1st Thornton 7/9; 2nd Shen 6; 3rd Bennett 5; 4th= Chen, Wheeler 4½; 6th= Goodhue, Latimer, Milligan, Stuart 4; 10th Fuatai 2.

Johanson made short work of Steadman to catch Solomon for 1st:

Johansen,D (2452) - Steadman,M (2226) [E74]
    2008 George Trundle NZ Masters (9.4), 05.10.2008

PGN Viewer

Croad faced Lukey on top form so didn't improve his score:

Lukey,S (2288) - Croad,N (2290) [D63]
    2008 George Trundle NZ Masters (9.1), 05.10.2008

PGN Viewer

A draw suited both Toth and Solomon, and evidently this tourney was free of the poxy self-righteous anti–short-draw rules.

Toth,A (2401) - Solomon,S (2478) [C55]
    2008 George Trundle NZ Masters (9.2), 05.10.2008

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 05-10-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Final Scores:
    IM event:
    1st equal: Johansen, Solomon 6/9; 3rd Toth 5½; 4th and trophy for highest-placed New Zealander: Nic Croad 5; 5th= Steadman, Smith 4½; 7th Baider 4; 8th Watson 3½; 9th= Reilly, Lukey 3.
    Qualifier:
    1st Thornton 7/9; 2nd Shen 6; 3rd Bennett 5; 4th= Chen, Wheeler 4½; 6th= Goodhue, Latimer, Milligan, Stuart 4; 10th Fuatai 2.
    Congratulations Darryl, Stephen and Gino

Croad faced Lukey on top form so didn't improve his score
    Yes, it was a wonderful attack by Stephen - in the right kind of position he's incredibly dangerous - but Nic probably felt flat after only drawing his previous game against Bob Smith and therefore missing out on the chance to go for for an IM norm.

This game from Round 5 in the Qualifier event was amusing - Black had three queens on the board at one stage:

Nathan Goodhue - Gino Thornton
    PGN Viewer

Last edited by Tony Dowden; 05-10-2008 at 06:48 PM.

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks Jono for giving the results. Here is my annotated game Solomon - Lukey from round 8. It is my first attempt using pgn viewer so I hope it works!
    PGN Viewer

I played my best for Him Pa Rumpumpumpum

Do what you do do well

CC Candidate Master
    Thanks for an interesting game Solo.

I had seen the position after 16 ... Nc6 on Chess Publishing just 2 days before ... and noticed it ended in perpetual check. It was quite frustrating sitting at the board, remembering 16 .. Nc6, and not releasing what the exact point was. I knew ... g6 was the resource but couldn't make it work. Then I saw the sneaky ... Qg8 resource. Then without engaging my brain I thought it would be nice to play the same line only with my knight still on e7 ... hence I chose 16 ... Bd7. I didn't realise until just after I played the move that the knight on e7 was a tactical weakness allowing a later Qg5.

So I was feeling a bit muddled up at this point ... fast forward a few moves and I returned from getting a drink to see 23 Nh6 (check! not!). It was only after I played 23 ... Q(K!)f8 that I noticed I was moving the Q rather than the K. Totally bizarre and just lucky it didn't lose on the spot.

By this stage my brain was just mush ... my position held together more by good luck than good management. As an aside, the machine points out that while 27 .. Rf8 draws comfortably, 27 ... Qd6! may win (28. h5 Qf4 29 Qf4 Nf4 holds the e6 pawn and black is a safe pawn up.

Certainly a hair raising game!

Have you heard anything from Kaikoura yet?
    Frank
    The Solo's have it !!

Harraway - another Maths lecturer good at chess?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    George Trundle is good bloke and was long a regular at tournaments I played in the old country. He was a POW during WW2, and chess was one of the things that kept him sane, as I remember in a newspaper interview in the 1980s, and as he explains in this recording and transcript. His best result was runner up in the 1967 NZ Champs, behind Sarapu and equal with Bruce Anderson and P. Harraway. This was one of the few open champs in those days, with GM Averbakh and some Australian IMs coming over, so it was a fine result in such strength.

Is this online anywhere?
    Interesting! Jono, was this really P Harraway? It may have been Prof. John Harroway, a uni lecturer in Maths (this will interest RW -they keep popping up!!) and later (if I recall right) faculty dean at Otago University who played irregularly at Otago Chess club when I did and did tell me he had played in past NZ Champs. Do you have a source you can give for that tournament as I'd be interested to verify if it was John? Ta.

BTW I played against George Trundle too and back you up - he was a nice bloke and still strong and a tournament regular in NZ at an advanced age. One year he played in the World Senior Champs with Sarapu if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Adamski; 09-10-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Interesting! Jono, was this really P Harraway? It may have been Prof. John Harroway, a uni lecturer in Maths (this will interest RW -tbey keep popping up!!) and later faculty dean at Otago University who played irregularly at Otago Chess club when I did and did tell me he had played in past NZ Champs. Do you have a source you can give for that tournament as I'd be interested to verify if it was John? Ta.
    Do you mean this guy John Harraway? Note the spelling and the fact that this guy is not a professor. Or perhaps there was a Prof John Harroway at Otago who has subsequently retired.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Do you mean this guy John Harraway? Note the spelling and the fact that this guy is not a professor. Or perhaps there was a Prof John Harroway at Otago who has subsequently retired.
    Yes, that's him. We loosely called him Prof I think (he rose senior in the Dept) but at OU he was just a lecturer. Thanks for the URL.
    Last edited by Adamski; 09-10-2008 at 11:08 AM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Yes, that's him. We loosely called him Prof I think (he rose senior in the Dept) but at OU he was just a lecturer. Thanks for the URL.
    With some luck I'll get down to Dunedin early next year and if I get the chance I'll try to have a chat with John.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Yes, a positive ID: the mugshot in the link above is John.

I'm fairy sure there were two different Harraways though: John Harraway and P. Harraway. I think I remember Graham Haase - NZ champion in 1962(?) - talking about P. Harraway once.

John Harraway (no 'o' as Rincewind points out), the (recently retired?) Senior Lecturer of Mathematics and Statistics at Otago University, was a strong club player in his time but, from the perspective of having played him occasionally over a ten year period around 1975-1985 (the more recent occasions being in simuls I conducted at the university), I very much doubt he was ever strong enough to have been placed in the NZ championship and so can't be the mysterious 'P'.

I should add that John lectured with wonderful clarity to first year students. He made introductory statistics (compulsory for several courses in the bad old days) bearable and often understandable for many thousands of deeply grateful Otago students - including me
    Last edited by Tony Dowden; 09-10-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Thread Information