Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Renzies View Post
    Speaking of Fischer, GM Gufeld had claimed in his lecture at the then VCA (Elizabeth St. Melbourne) in the mid 1980s that the American had actually lost rating points as a result of his 1972 WC match versus Spassky. However, the popular late GM had his tongue firmly on cheek in many occasions when he told (numerous) stories about the international chess scene! (I still have somewhere an autographed copy of his "Mona Lisa" as he called his ultra sacrificial 1973 King's Indian Defence victory versus GM(*) Bagirov's Samisch Variation.
    (*)To be fair to Vladimir Bagirov, he was only an IM - he became a GM 5 years after the said game, whereas Edward Gufeld was already a GM at the time!
    Not sure if collection of Sosonko's essays about chess players is available in English but I have read (online) the Russian language version of the book. In his essay on Gufeld, he described the late GM as someone who was not very ''clean'' in his dealings with fellow chess-players. I must also add that it was well-known that many of the Gufeld's books (e.g. the one on the Dragon variation) were written by others
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Not sure if collection of Sosonko's essays about chess players is available in English but I have read (online) the Russian language version of the book. In his essay on Gufeld, he described the late GM as someone who was not very ''clean'' in his dealings with fellow chess-players. I must also add that it was well-known that many of the Gufeld's books (e.g. the one on the Dragon variation) were written by others
    I have two of GM Genna Sosonko's books, which unfortunately haven't read yet.
    they are
    this

Attachment 2925

and this
    Attachment 2926

I will do read them at some stage when I reduce travelling and take chess studying more eagerly.

Maybe you (and GM Sosonko) are correct in regards to the author's opinion (*) about the late GM Gufeld.

However he (Gufeld) was also correct about Fischer losing points as a result to his WCC match versus Spasky in 1972, (as was also confirmed by Bill)!

(*) An opinion also shared by the English GM David Norwood.
    Last edited by ER; 28-06-2015 at 12:29 PM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Vachier-Lagrave has gone to live world #2 and is presumably about to come out as world #2 on the actual rating list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Vachier-Lagrave has gone to live world #2 and is presumably about to come out as world #2 on the actual rating list.
    He has certainly surged this year.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly playing at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Grandmaster
    According to chessbase.com here earned 96 points in one year! Another interesting trend is that the Chinese players appeared to be sloweding down at least a little.

CC Grandmaster
    Finally! The drawing master Giri is out of top 10!

Carlsen's lead is in danger after his loss to Rapport. He is 8.6 ahead of Caruana and 19.3 ahead of So.

Six years on top but Carlsen's live #1 is in serious danger now with Kramnik 4.4 behind, Wesley So 8.1 and a resurgent Aronian 10.3.

Mamedyarov has gone to #2. Not sure exactly how many different #2s Carlsen has had in his 6+ years on top continuously but it's been quite a few.

CC International Master
    Mamedyarov has gone to #2. Not sure exactly how many different #2s Carlsen has had in his 6+ years on top continuously but it's been quite a few.
    After Carlsen the next eight are Mamedyarov, So, Vachier-Lagrave, Aronian, Kramnik, Caruana, Nakamura and Anand. I'm reasonably sure from memory that they've all been number 2 in the mid-past, along with Topalov. All of which shows that following minor perturbations in ratings doesn't teach you much about chess, it's like reading Facebook for current affairs.

Caruana 4.5 points below Carlsen after beating Mamedyarov in the Olympiad.

Thread Information