Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    It amuses me to attempt to test this view in a freestyle setting; unfortunately my previous two attempts were derailed by a feeble move in one and a queen-losing typo in the other!
    So how are you going to lose this time

Three in favour, no one has spoken against the proposed rule, so the following is now a rule. I have modified the original proposal to allow for players who wish to resign

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    A player can claim a result once a tablebase position is reached. So as soon as the 5/6 man tbs are showing a result and the result is claimed and verified by myself, the game is over.

CC Candidate Master
    Are you allowed to comment on other people's games in progress, as long as it is about the earlier moves? For example, if it is move 10, discussing the position after move 7?

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)

6-piece tablebase available online

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I think I have a 6 piece table base which came with chessbase. It is about half a dozen DVD's worth and is still in the shrink-wrap.
    A tablebase is available online on which you can enter any position up to 6 pieces.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanchuk_Fan
    Are you allowed to comment on other people's games in progress, as long as it is about the earlier moves? For example, if it is move 10, discussing the position after move 7?
    I should imagine not. In most cases perhaps there would be zero/ minimal effect. However, if themes are involved and ones that have apparently passed, a player may subsequently claim that a discussed historical position robs him of further variations on that theme. The degree of likelihood may increase if the player is seeing further than the commentator!

Then again, some pointies may just be upset at the commentary.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanchuk_Fan
    Same rules as for otb chess. The answer is no.

CC International Master
    Same rules as for otb chess. The answer is no.
    So this isn't *anything* goes chess?

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    So this isn't *anything* goes chess?
    That's strange. IIRC, I was informed that freestyle means you could ask Kramnik for advice, for example.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    That's strange. IIRC, I was informed that freestyle means you could ask Kramnik for advice, for example.
    I don't think that's what Garvin's saying; I think he's saying that Kramnik's not allowed to post the advice on chesschat.

Whether Garvin has the jurisdiction to ban kibbitzing by non-participants from chesschat freestyle tournaments is another question entirely!

CC International Master
    Not a rule about what help a player can try to receive, but rather about unwanted help (or just plain interfering) or some such. That's reasonable.

Yes, I'm sure if anyone was offering unsolicited sensitive analysis one of the other mods would zap it. I might not as I have a conflict of interest!

CC Candidate Master
    I think I've already learned a bit about some of the openings I play as a result of this tournament. (: Interesting...

best is yet to come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy
    I think I've already learned a bit about some of the openings I play as a result of this tournament. (: Interesting...
    lol you 've seen nothin yet son!
    Cheers and good luck!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

SOS David!

Fludeyyyyyyyyyyyyy????
    where do i buy myself a Rybca or whatever his name is?
    Cheers
    Elliott
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Either one is fine by me. For the time control used in cct7, I am thinking that the initial number of days (30) is too high and should be reduced.
    Actually I've been thinking along similar lines for future tournaments. It might be interesting to try the following sometime:

* Three day increment for each move, cumulative from a base of zero (eg must play move 1 by day 3, move 2 by day 6, move 3 by day 9, etc)
    * Seven days maximum for any given move.

This would have the advantage of mpre quickly weeding out the sort of slackers who time out just out of the opening, and wouldn't have any disadvantage that I can see. It would encourage people to get into their games quickly and is easy to calculate. Of course there would have to be allowances for anyone expecting to be offline for even a few days early in the event.

Not that there are any problems in this tournament so far; thus far (touchwood!) everyone's been committed and is moving reasonably quickly.

Thread Information