ggrayggray
    Garrett
    alexrules01
    Kevin Bonham
    dougy
    justaknight
    I will close entries one week from now.

should be interesting.

I have a fairly simple PC (P4 3.0GB) I built in May, 2005 running Fritz 11 and Chessbase megabase 2007 which has not been updated.

I undersstand Rybka is a better computer program, but cant be bothered buying it because Fritz (herr von joseph Fritz at that) has no problem flogging me.

I've not bothered updating the PC yet either ('cept the monitor) as I don't usually play the latest games.

What rigs are everyone else running ?

Cheers
    Garrett.

CC Candidate Master
    Umm.. I got like 1.6 GHz RAM with Fritz 10 running on 2006 database, so I'm probably going to get snapped by Rybka and Fritz 11

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexrules01
    Umm.. I got like 1.6 GHz RAM with Fritz 10 running on 2006 database, so I'm probably going to get snapped by Rybka and Fritz 11
    My comp. is comparable to this.

ggrayggray
    Garrett
    alexrules01
    Kevin Bonham
    dougy
    justaknight
    I did announce that I would close entries one week from now, but taking into consideration that no one else has expressed interest in playing, I will close entries 11:59pm Thursday 18th September.

All games are now up, so everyone can get started.

Reminder to all participants from previous tournaments, especially those playing their first freestyle tournament on here.

Please make sure that the move you post in the game is the move you want to play. Incorrect move notation is a binding move and can not be retracted, if the move is legal of course.

So please be careful.

Also, after a game is finished, it is appreciated if one of the participants from the finished game writes the result in this thread, so I am aware of it and can adjust the cross table as required.

thanks for setting everything up Garvin.

Good luck everyone !

CC Candidate Master
    Yes, thanks Garvin. All the best everyone (:

Conditional moves are allowed and even multiple variations if a person wants to go that far.

Be careful, there are no 'takebacks' in conditional variations. So if you propose a long string of moves and your opponent varies half way through your proposed variation, you are stuck with it.

Discussion point- Tablebase wins.

In freestyle, it is possible to have a tablebase win that is over 100 moves, but by the otb laws of chess, this would be a draw after 50 moves. Looking at corro sites, the laws differ on this. Some have a rule that if it is a tablebase win, the 50 move rule is waived, others do not.

I wish to propose a blanket rule- a player can claim win/draw once a tablebase position is reached, be it either a win or draw. So as soon as the 5/6 man tbs are showing draw, the game is over.

Thoughts of other entrants?

My thoughts

yes agreed.

Once the table-bases show a result then claim regardless of how many moves.

We don't want games dragging on and the 50 move rule was around before computers and/or tablebases and was not designed for them.

CC Candidate Master
    I have never understood, what is a tablebase?

Hi Alex

A 5 piece table-base is a database of every possible position with 5 pieces (kings included) which has the best possible moves for both sides leading to a forced result. Once you get to a position with 5 pieces you don't need your computer (or at least it's processing) anymore - the information (best possible moves and results) is in the tablebase.

A 6 piece table base is the same but with 6 pieces.

I don't think anyone has produced a 7 piece table base yet - it would be huge and take a long time to compute. I think I have a 6 piece table base which came with chessbase. It is about half a dozen DVD's worth and is still in the shrink-wrap.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers
    Garrett.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Thoughts of other entrants?
    I agree. In a previous freestyle tournament I offered an opponent a draw the instant a tablebase draw was reached even though (a) I was a pawn up (b) I had no idea if he was using tablebases.

Concerning my schedule, at this stage it appears I will need a time-out from October 12 until October 20.

Please make sure that the move you post in the game is the move you want to play. Incorrect move notation is a binding move and can not be retracted, if the move is legal of course.

So please be careful.
    Or you will lose your queen on move ten.

Good luck to all my opponents, not that they will necessarily need it.

CC International Master
    1.f4 predictable e5
    Next time when creating the game against Kevin you should start with "If 1.f4 then e5".
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I don't think anyone has produced a 7 piece table base yet
    Bourzutschky and Konoval have, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablebase
    In freestyle, it is possible to have a tablebase win that is over 100 moves, but by the otb laws of chess, this would be a draw after 50 moves. Looking at corro sites, the laws differ on this. Some have a rule that if it is a tablebase win, the 50 move rule is waived, others do not.
    The tablebases, at least when I was using them, didn't actually give you the shortest mate. Something weird about them giving you conversions from one tablebase (say 5 man) to another (say 4 man). Not that this makes a difference here.
    Last edited by Aaron Guthrie; 20-09-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    Next time when creating the game against Kevin you should start with "If 1.f4 then e5".
    When I was younger I had a rather dogmatic view that From's Gambit was absolute rubbish (probably unduly influenced by watching Nigel Frame accept it and then squash it in at least fifteen rated games in a row). It amuses me to attempt to test this view in a freestyle setting; unfortunately my previous two attempts were derailed by a feeble move in one and a queen-losing typo in the other!

Thread Information