Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2008 Bilbao Grand Slam

The Category XXII Bilbao Grand Slam is on from 1st-13th September 2008.
    The event is a double round robin and the 6 players are:
    Viswanathan Anand 2798
    Levon Aronian 2737
    Magnus Carlsen 2775
    Vasily Ivanchuk 2781
    Teimour Radjabov 2744
    Veselin Topalov 2777

The average rating is 2769.

The time limit is 90 minutes for the first 40 moves and another 60 minutes to finish the game.

The players will score three points for a win, one point for a draw and zero points for a loss. The players are not allowed to agree to a draw without arbiter´s permission.

The prize fund is:
    1st place: 150.000 €
    2nd place: 70.000 €
    3rd place: 60.000 €
    4th place: 50.000 €
    5th place: 40.000 €
    6th place: 30.000 €

Tiebreak are as follows:
    If two players tie for first, they´ll play a blitz match immediately after the last round finishes. They´ll play two games at the rate of all the moves in 4 minutes add-on 3 seconds for each move from the first, alternating colors, which shall be decided for the first game by draw. If this match is tied, they shall play a one game Armageddon (sudden death), White will have 5 minutes and Black 4, in the case of a draw Black wins first place. This game´s colors shall be decided by draw. If more than two players tie for first, only the two first classified players according to the systems listed bellow shall play the match.

In case of tie for third to sixth places, the following tie-breaks will be applied:
    1. Traditional scoring. Players get one point for each game won and 0.5 points for each game in draw.
    2. Particular result (based on traditional scoring).
    3. Koya system (based on traditional scoring).
    4. Sonneborn-Berger (based on traditional scoring)
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 03-09-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Candidate Master
    Round 1 Results:

Aronian-Carlsen 0-3 (Symmetrical English)
    Anand-Ivanchuk 1-1 (Marshall Gambit)
    Radjabov-Topalov 1-1 (Scotch Game)

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Is this unrated on account of the scoring system?
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Is this unrated on account of the scoring system?
    Using a scoring system other than the traditional 1, 0.5, 0 is permitted under Article 11.1 of the FIDE Laws of Chess and the FIDE rating regulations simply say the FIDE Laws of Chess must apply.

As such it would seem it can be FIDE rated.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Aronian - Carlsen Round 1

PGN Viewer

Anand - Ivanchuk Round 1

PGN Viewer

Radjabov - Topalov Round 1

PGN Viewer

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Using a scoring system other than the traditional 1, 0.5, 0 is permitted under Article 11.1 of the FIDE Laws of Chess and the FIDE rating regulations simply say the FIDE Laws of Chess must apply.

As such it would seem it can be FIDE rated.
    OK, I expect it will be rated then.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Interesting little article by Susan:
    http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2008...ne-tuning.html

5. - Players are not allowed to agree draw without arbiter’s permission. In case both players request it to him, the arbiter will make his decision after consulting with a technical assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Polgar
    The faster than usual time control (90 minutes for the first 40 moves and another 60 minutes to finish the game) created an interesting “situation” in round 1.

After the Radjabov - Topalov game reached a drawish looking Rook endgame, typically for tournaments with no “Sofia rules” the players would have agreed to a draw. But in this case, they needed the approval of the technical assistant’s (Javier Moreno). They did not get the “permission” needed and had to fight on, until King versus King!

So far, so good! And here comes to “controversial” part…

A bit later, after Ivanchuk playing a good game versus the reining World Champion Anand, he reached a Q+R+ps vs. Q+R+ps endgame with an extra Pawn.

As I found out at the after-the-game interview from Vassily, he forgot that in this tournament there are no increments. It is a sudden-death time control! He left himself with only 24 seconds versus Anand’s 25+ minutes for the rest of the game! Ivanchuk being a Pawn up, offered a draw, which Anand accepted!

Here is the situation.

What would have happened if Anand would have decided to play on – for time? He would have had excellent chances to win on time. He certainly had the right to do so, according to the rules, but I guess he felt “it’s low blow”.

Anand said after the game that perhaps at another time or in another tournament, he may have played on. However, in this game, he didn’t feel that he deserved to win this way because he was hanging on for a draw. It was certainly excellent sportsmanship on Vishy’s part.

I was puzzled about the “Sofia rules” not being enforced in this case and they were in the Radjabov - Topalov game. The first game looked more drawish to me than the Anand - Ivanchuk game.

I believe that the “Sofia rules” need some further refining to deal with similar cases. I believe the rules should be clearer to avoid misunderstandings in the future.

I notice that chessbase are still showing results as 1/2-1/2 instead of 1-1.

Just in case you are interested here is an item from the Basque Government web site

Chess Grand Slam Final in Bilbao

Bilbao holds Grand Slam Chess Final Masters from today until 13th September. Due to the level of the participants and total prizes amount it is being one of the most important tournaments in chess history.

Bilbao will hold this year the first Grand Slam Chess Final Masters from 2nd through 13th September, which due to the level of the participants and total prizes amount it will become one of the most important tournaments in chess history.

For the first time ever in an event of such characteristics, the games will take place in the street, in the Plaza Nueva, right in the center of Bilbao’s Old Town in a huge soundproofed and air-conditioned glazed case.

This glass case placed under a marquee will also accommodate ‘The Agora’ for analysis and comments, a space located by the glass case where the audience will also be able to enjoy comments from Chess Grandmasters among whom we can name Boris Spassky and Susan Polgar. Tables and chairs arranged in a “pavement cafe” fashion will help following of the chess games in a collective, dynamic, open and participating way, all in a relaxing atmosphere, commenting the games while participating in informal gatherings and debates arisen around the competition.

This stage will accommodate a large number of activities connected to chess and addressed to very different people: I International Open “Federacion Vizcaina de Ajedrez; Rapid Game Tournament “Villa de Bilbao”; IV Euskadi Championship on Chess Problems Resolution; Activities for children; the Experts’ Space; and the Closing Ceremony.

The weekend, September 6th and 7th, and taking advantage of the opportunity given by a friendly football match organized by Bilbao’s Athletic Club in San Mames football ground, there will be an attempt to break the Guinness record for the chess game watched live by the highest number of people. It will be played right in the center of the football ground during the half time of the match.
    DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC Grandmaster
    I am observing round 3 games right now. I think many of the participants appear to be exausted by the end of the year. They are trying to play fighting chess but they find it too difficult.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Round 3 Results:

Carlsen-Topalov 0-3, with the other two games (Anand-Radjabov and Aronian-Ivanchuk) ending in 1-1.

So, Topalov is in the clear lead with 5/3, whereas Carlsen is just a point behind on 4/3.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    I am observing round 3 games right now. I think many of the participants appear to be exausted by the end of the year. They are trying to play fighting chess but they find it too difficult.
    Why are they any more likely to be tired at the 'end' of the year than at the beginning?

Round 4 results:

Topalov - Anand 1-0
    Carlsen - Radjabov 1-0
    Aronian - Ivanchuk 1-0

Thread Information