Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Australian Open 2009 at Manly Leagues Club

PRESS RELEASE

Australia's top chess event comes to Northern Beaches

Australia's premier chess tournament will be staged on the Northern Beaches for the first time next year.

Manly Chess Club president, Mr Chris Dimock, announced today that the venue for the 2009 Australian Open Championship, from January 2-11, will be the Manly-Warringah Rugby Leagues Club.

Mr Dimock said: "The Leagues Club has very generously made its spacious main auditorium available for the 11-round event, which we hope will attract a field of up to 150 players. We are aiming for prize money in excess of ten thousand dollars, and are seeking sponsorship from banks and local businesses for this prestigious event.

"Entry will be free for international masters and grandmasters to encourage them to participate. We have booked rooms for players at the Manly-Warringah Travelodge, adjacent to the Leagues Club, and will be approaching other accommodation centres in the Manly-Brookvale area'.

Mr Dimock said he was approached for an expression of interest in hosting the event by The Sydney Morning Herald chess writer Peter Parr on June 11. "We jumped at the chance. Fred Schutz, a Manly Chess Club member, and I put together a bid which we presented in less than two months to the Australian Chess Federation. ACF vice-president Bill Gletsos rang soon afterwards to say it had been accepted."

Mr Dimock said the bid would not have been possible without the continuing support for local chess by the Leagues Club; where the Manly Chess Club meets every Monday night. "Concurrently with the Open, we are also staging the inaugural Manly Classic tournament, which will be open to lower rated players in the area keen to improve."

For further information:

Chris Dimock - tel: (02) 9221-8390, mobile 0412 052 399
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    I am very much looking forward to this tournament!

Have any GMs/IMs expressed their interest in participating?

Too early yet

Too early yet - no entry forms ready yet! I will advise as details get known.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

CC Candidate Master
    I wish the organisers well for the Open but unfortunately it will be missing many good juniors and also strong players who will be coaching in Adelaide including me. To be fair I am usually about 50-50 to play in the Open anyway. The SIO may have been a good idea for the open title this time.

CC International Master
    Both me and Anton are planning to play in this event.

I'm definitely interested.

Interested to see accomodation options.

Cheers
    Garrett.

I have been advised by a member of the organising committee that Nick Chernih has been appointed as the Chief Arbiter.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by drug
    Both me and Anton are planning to play in this event.
    Would Anton have played in the Australian Juniors if the Australian Open had not clashed with it?
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    What steps are the organisers of the event taking to ensure there will be enough females playing in the event to allow the title of Australian Women's Champion to be awarded?
    Scott Colliver

i would have thought in this enlightened age any girl or women who enters would do so intending to win the australian open title itself

wouldn't you agree, jono?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    i would have thought in this enlightened age any girl or women who enters would do so intending to win the australian open title itself

wouldn't you agree, jono?
    I think most of the participants who will enter this tournament won't really expect to win, although they will enjoy the challenge of playing. Sadly there is currently no active Australian women players who have more than an extremely slim chance of winning a moderately strong Australian Open, not a good thing.
    Whether you agree with a seperate title is one thing (and discussion of this does not really belong in this thread), but the title exists and is supposed to be awarded to first Australian women in the Australian Open. I am hoping the organisers will take on the responsibility of making sure the conditions for this to happen are meet, hence my question.
    Scott
    Last edited by Oepty; 14-08-2008 at 07:34 PM.

if sufficient numbers of women do enter the open to make the women's title realistic then are any points women win against men in the australian open disregarded when deciding who wins the australian women's championship?

i think there is already a thread about the future of the australian women's chess championship title elsewhere

perhaps a split from here and a graft onto there is in order
    Last edited by eclectic; 14-08-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Accommodation

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    I'm definitely interested.

Interested to see accomodation options.

Cheers
    Garrett.
    Hi Garrett,
    Latest on accomm is still as per press statement: "We have booked rooms for players at the Manly-Warringah Travelodge, adjacent to the Leagues Club, and will be approaching other accommodation centres in the Manly-Brookvale area". Will advise when I hear updates.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Sertez
    Would Anton have played in the Australian Juniors if the Australian Open had not clashed with it?
    Scott
    Hard to say... At this stage the Australian Open (AO) looks much more attractive. Firstly, AO is free and we will probably have to pay for the juniors in Adelaide a similar amount to the amount we paid for the World Youth coming in Vietnam in October. The World Youth is obviously a big challenge and worth all the money spent, while with the Juniors Anton already got the under 8 title when he was 5; other kids also want to get this title. You can say that he can play with older kids but then why not adults; as I said it will cost us nothing.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by drug
    Hard to say... At this stage the Australian Open (AO) looks much more attractive. Firstly, AO is free and we will probably have to pay for the juniors in Adelaide a similar amount to the amount we paid for the World Youth coming in Vietnam in October. The World Youth is obviously a big challenge and worth all the money spent, while with the Juniors Anton already got the under 8 title when he was 5; other kids also want to get this title. You can say that he can play with older kids but then why not adults; as I said it will cost us nothing.
    Okay thanks, it would have been good to have Anton play in Adelaide, but your reasons make perfect sense. I am just a bit concerned, as a South Australian, more Sydney juniors, and perhaps others, will decide to play the Open instead of coming to Adelaide. It seems a pity that they have to clash especially since the Australian Open has such a short time to be organised.
    Scott Colliver

Thread Information