Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Request to analyse Adamski's latest "one that got away"

A sad tale last night…
    4 intrepid Manly lads ventured out to St George to play the leading team in our grade.
    We were heavily out-rated on every board but that’s no excuse. We lost 4- zip and I let an easy win slip by blundering a piece.

Mistakes on both sides but marvel at the stupidity of 35 d7?? In a crushing position. It was a total hallucination. Focused on Bishop taking line so much that when I thought it worked I moved and completely forgot Rook could also take.
    Here's the game lightly annotated based on my thoughts during the game,
    Sorry it’s a bit long…Maybe someone can put it into Fritz and leave it overnight (or maybe longer!!)

Here are the moves for your entertainment! Comments welcome!

U 1800 St George Dragons v Manly Board 3. 22 July 2008

J Adams (1579) – Dimitar Mojanovski (1736). Closed Sicilian

1 e4 c5

2 Nc3 Nc6

3 g3 e6

4 Bg2 Nge7

5 f4 d5

6 d3 d5

7 Nce2 Qc7

8 Nf3 h6

9. 0-0 b6

10. c3 dxc3

11. bxc3 Ng6

12 d4 cxd4

13. cxd4 Be7

14. Qc2 (with a pin, I think White is better here) Qd7 (to unpin)

15 Rd1 0-0

16. d5(?) Nb4

17. qb3 exd5?!

18. f5!? Bc5+!

19. Kh1 Ne7

20. Ne5 ( I thought I am better) Qb7 (..Qc7 too dangerous for him)

21. exd5 Bxf5

22. d6 Be4!

23. Bxe4 (no choice) Qxe4+

24. Qf3 Qxf3

25. Nxf3 Nf5 (Black is better now)

26. Bf4 g5?! (I get back in the game)

27. a3 Nc2

28. Rac1 Nxa3

29. Rd5! (my idea, pin on the rank) Ng7

30. Be5 Ne6

31. Bf6 (I am definitely better now) Nb5

32. Be7 Rfe8

33. g4! (With g3 and e5 for the N’s my pieces are beautiful, his are hemmed in) Kg7

34. Ne5 Nd8 (Black should be hopelessly lost)

35. d7?? (see above!) Rxe7! (catastrophic but my position was so good that I still have chances)

36. Ng3 Re6

37. Rf1 f6(?) (loses f pawn and look at my N’s!!)

38. Nh5+ Kh8

39. Nxf6 (maybe I am even winning???) Nd6

40. Ne8? (Lets it slip away – I thought I was going to win the pinned N on the back rank but he wriggles out!) Nxe8

41. Rxc5 bxc5

42. Rf8+ Kg7

43. d7xe8=Q (may also be wrong?) Rxe8

44. Rxe8 Rc8 (and Black is winning!)

45. Re7+ Kf6

46. Re8 c4

47. Nxc4 Rxc4

48. Rxd8 Rxg4 (and the rest is a matter of technique… so sad!)

49. Rd6+ Kg7

50. Rd7+ Kg6

51. Rxa7 Kh5

52. h3 Rd4

53. Kg2 Kh4

54. Ra6 Rd2+

55. Kf3 h5

56. Ra1 Kxa3

57. Ra5 Rd3+

58. Ke4 Rg3

59.Kf5 g4

60. Kg5 h4 (all over)

61. Ra8 Rc3

62. Ra4 Rc5+

63. Kf4 g3

64. Ra3 Kh2

65. Kg4 h3

66. Ra2+ g2

67. Kf3 Rc3+

68. Kf4 Kh1

69. 0-1.

All annotation comments appreciated. If someone has the inclination to put it in PGN format that would also be great.
    Last edited by Adamski; 23-07-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

PGN Viewer

I don't know how to insert comments, sorry!
    Cheers and good luck!
    Last edited by ER; 24-07-2008 at 12:29 AM.
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.
    Fully vaccinated since October, 21, 2021

Ta

Thanks, JAK. Now enjoy (or otherwise) this game.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

I am still correcting it! I will play it through later!
    Cheers and good luck
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Now it's ok!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

I like 22, Nxf7 followed by 23. d6. Maybe it's losing but it is spectatular!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Cool

Cool - appreciate the work. But I hope that football team represented by your avatar lose more games than Chelsea do next season!
    God bless and good night. Cheers and good luck!

CC International Master
    Are you sure it is lost after 48...Rxg4? Start with 49.Ra6! and Black won't become so dominant so easily.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    Are you sure it is lost after 48...Rxg4? Start with 49.Ra6! and Black won't become so dominant so easily.
    Yes, my 49th is one of many moves in the game that are not best.... By then I was short of time too BTW.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Yes, my 49th is one of many moves in the game that are not best.... By then I was short of time too BTW.
    Err, is that a yes that you think you are lost after Black's 48th or?

No

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    Err, is that a yes that you think you are lost after Black's 48th or?
    No, I have chances of saving the game. Must study such end games. Thanks for your input.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    On move 15 isn't f5 totally winning for white?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    On move 15 isn't f5 totally winning for white?
    Probably. Played 15 Rd1 too quickly on general principles of R on same file as Q must be right.
    What particularly interests me is that even after I blundered my Bishop on move 35 did I still have winning chances? Visions of a mating net for his King e.g....

On 35 d7?? and writing moves down before you play them

I woke up this morning with the realisation that in the good old days when the laws of chess permitted me to write my move down before playing it, I would (probably) not have committed this howler. I used to follow GM Alexander Kotov's advice from Think Like A Grand Master and write my move down before doing a final "blunder check" before playing it. In this case I would surely have noticed the Rook, too, could capture my Bishop!

I once noted it elsewhere but I still believe that it was a retrograde step to change the laws to outlaw this (still much used) practice. I haven't got the time now to look it up but what is the penalty/ ies open to an Arbiter to impose if a player protests that his opponent is writing his/ her move down before playing it? In one of my NSWCA grade match games this year my opponent did it consistently and I briefly thought of complaining to an IA who was present (but playing) but let the thought go as I did not want to kick up a fuss about something relatively trivial, and I was in "personal" agreement with the practice anyway! (But I no longer use it because I know it is against the laws of the game.) I know this isn't the right place to discuss this but it's stream of consciousness stuff for me so I am briefly doing so. Maybe someone can link to the appropriate thread. I'm curious, has anyone ever lost a game at high level for consistently writing the move down before playing it? I assume many players have received time penalties for the practice.

CC International Master
    It was a drawn endgame until 54 Ra6?? after which it is just lost.

Instead white could just play 54 Ra2 and keep moving the rook on the second file. If black moves his rook from the 4-th file then check. There is nothing black can possibly do.

Another possible move is 54 Ra3 and if checked keep the white king on g1 and h1 (h2 square needs to be guarded). Again I do not see how black can progress.

Finally, Ra6 would be a good move if it was made on move 52 rather than 54.
    There is a general rule that one should not push pawns on the side that he/she has smaller number of pawns. Even though in this case h3 was not so crucial, it created a hole on g3 and limited number of options for white. So after 52 h3 Rd4 if white plays 53 Ra6 black can reply with 53...Kh4. Now the only move white has is 54. Ra3... (If white plays 54 Rh6 then 54... Kg3 with an ustoppable mate.)

Thread Information