Strength of simul opponents

I am wondering if there is an unwritten law about how strong you can be before you should not participate in a simul. For example, iirc Jono (~2300) limited his simul to players <1800. Is 500 points a good rule of thumb? I once heard a ~2000 player say that he wouldn't play a simul against a 2500 GM because it was not sporting.
    meep meep

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I'd quite happily play in a simul against a GM or IM or even strong FM and I don't think that's unfair on the opponent (indeed simul-givers around 2300 strength will still beat me as often as not). When the rating difference is <300 I tend to pike though, especially if it gives someone weaker a chance for a game that they would learn more from than I would.

That's not to say the simul-giver wouldn't beat me though. At his training camp simul last year, fireeater caned a couple of ex-state champions here who are rated within three or four hundred points of his rating - probably as emphatically as if he had played them one on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    I am wondering if there is an unwritten law about how strong you can be before you should not participate in a simul. For example, iirc Jono (~2300) limited his simul to players <1800. Is 500 points a good rule of thumb?
    This was a blindfold simul though. For a sighted simul I would probably limit it to 300 points, which corresponds to an 85% winning score one-on-one.

Wins against the simul giver are often random. Indeed, a simul-giver is more likely to concentrate on those he knows are the strongest, so will take less care with the others.

I wouldn't give a 2000 player much chance against a 2500 simul player if the latter knew his strength in advance. But I'd find a 2000 player hard going in a simul.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information