Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    For the Qlders on here, was anyone else aware that there was a leaders debate last night or so. Completely missed, was not even aware it was held until reading about it in the paper today. So clearly it was well advertised as this is stuff that I usually do not miss at least hearing about, even if I do not watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Some of them might mutiny over the Pacific Adventurer.
    Nah, they will all be drowned

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    For the Qlders on here, was anyone else aware that there was a leaders debate last night or so. Completely missed, was not even aware it was held until reading about it in the paper today. So clearly it was well advertised as this is stuff that I usually do not miss at least hearing about, even if I do not watch it.
    I was aware of it it but didn't bother watching. Highlight package on the news was uninspiring.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Springborg attracted some criticism for interrupting his opponent. Various reviews of the debate I saw on average rated it an inconclusive win to Bligh and generally regarded it as boring. I can't be bothered listening to it all.

Thumbs up He shoots; he scores!

The Labor Party say to us in Queensland, ‘where is the money coming from’ — we simply say to them, where has all the money gone? — Lawrence Springborg
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Some predictions from psephologists re the result of the Qld election that I have seen:

William Bowe (The Poll Bludger) 45 ALP, 40 LNP, 4 IND
    Ben Raue (The Tally Room) 42 ALP, 42 LNP, 5 IND
    Peter Brent (Mumble) LNP narrow win, no seat breakdown yet.

One of our clients used his full page advertisement for a political message this week (against the government). He then proceeded to buy the same ad on two other pages!

The ad(s) may be viewed at:
    http://www.scenemagazine.com.au/read/index.html

It appears on pages 16, 32 & 44.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Interesting. Do you know in what connection Bligh is seen as a threat to "nightlife"?

By the way, re all the Bligh puns, apparently she is a direct descendent of the deposed NSW Governor!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Interesting. Do you know in what connection Bligh is seen as a threat to "nightlife"?
    Her government is presently under fire because:
    1) The 3am lock-out
    I'm in favour incidentally, but the industry and the punters aren't.

2) Massive (truly staggering and eye-popping) liquor licence hikes.
    Seen as straight revenue raising. Hundreds of venues across Queensland cannot afford and failed to meet the second deadline (last week I believe) at which point the venues were deemed to have been trading illegally. The government has not enforced its own threat of closing venues which failed to pay. A knock-on effect of anger is now from the venues who paid under duress wanting to know why they bothered.

3) Two other fees
    - one of $1,200 for security personnel to be registered (and trained)
    - one (of approx $100 and requiring three hours) for bar staff to be retrained every three years, primarily on RSA (responsible serving alcohol). Seen as overkill.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Her government is presently under fire because:
    1) The 3am lock-out
    I'm in favour incidentally, but the industry and the punters aren't.
    There is a second connected issue here. It is not just the 3am lock out, but the lack of transport options for people who want to go home. So you have a lot of people who are trying to get home and not a lot of options in how to do so, which leads to angry people, fights etc.

There are one set of buses every hour to the major transport hubs, one set of trains every hour only on half the train lines and a major shortage of cabs in the city. That is it.

Basically the public transport for the 3am lock out is a disgrace and in my opinion is just another symptom of our state Labor Government.

I'm going to vote LNP. Main 2 reasons are that Springborg has impressed during the campaign, and Labor's campaign has been too negative and grubby.

CC Candidate Master
    I hate the Nationals too much to vote for Springborg's party. Though if the LNP win a bunch of SEQ seats and evolves into a Liberal-dominated party then I won't mind.

A point about incumbency made by Charles Richardson was this: there seems to have been a decline over time in the willingness of state and federal voters to give a government a fifth term. Only one of five state or federal governments going for a fifth term since 1975 has been successful (Federal, 1993) but pre-1975, ten out of twelve such governments going for fifth terms succeeded.

Might be small sample size. Might not.

Apparently the money has been coming thick and fast for the LNP, which is usually what I use as a better guide for who is going to win, rather than opinion polls.

Labor still leads in the betting markets from what I was seeing in the papers, but all the late money is for LNP. The betting can be influence of course by people believing it is a 50/50 race, but are getting $2.50 for the LNP, so are taking those odds, where if they were only being offered even money, they would not be betting.

Pauline Hanson is considered a 'good' chance of winning Beaudesert. I have been having more than a few chuckles at the prospect of a hung parliament with Peter Wellington, Liz Cunningham and Pauline Hanson as the Independants
    Last edited by Garvinator; 20-03-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Apparently the money has been coming thick and fast for the LNP, which is usually what I use as a better guide for who is going to win, rather than opinion polls.
    Yes, it's come down to about $2.10-$2.30 for the LNP now with Labor blowing out to $1.60-$1.72. Not sure if there's enough of it for the LNP to start favourite.

Betting markets are an excellent guide where the market is well informed. In WA they were wrong because there was insufficient polling to inform the market.

Pauline Hanson is considered a 'good' chance of winning Beaudesert.
    I'd be interested to know by who, apart from mug punters. Heard one qualified analyst on Radio National this afternoon (and I think it was Paul Williams) say she didn't have a snowflake's chance. Even with the sympathy vote from the nude photos thing, it's hard to see how a candidate who can only poll about 4% for the Senate these days is supposed to win an electorate with no-one preferencing her.

[EDIT: But on the other side, there's this: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...55049490.html]

I have been having more than a few chuckles at the prospect of a hung parliament with Peter Wellington, Liz Cunningham and Pauline Hanson as the Independants
    A hung parliament with Hanson in it would be utterly hilarious.

A concern for Labor is that if it cannot win a majority in its own right, it could well be that all of the crossbenchers side with the LNP and throw it out.

Thread Information