Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    In Tassie state and local elections there is a law against mentioning the name of an opposing candidate in various forms of electoral material without their consent. That pretty much snuffs out HTVs unless you want to just tell people to vote for your own party and then stop.

We have an interesting situation in the Tassie electorate of Denison where Andrew Wilkie, former Iraq WMD whistleblower, Howard opponent and Green, now rebranded as a No Pokies independent, has polled enough votes that it appears he will just outlast the second Green in the cutup and go head to head with a Liberal for the final seat. He will need a heavy flow of Green preferences but the cut-up (which will occur from Tuesday to Thursday next week) should be a cracker.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 22-03-2010 at 11:16 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    In Tassie state and local elections there is a law against mentioning the name of an opposing candidate in various forms of electoral material without their consent. That pretty much snuffs out HTVs unless you want to just tell people to vote for your own party and then stop.

We have an interesting situation in the Tassie electorate of Denison where Andrew Wilkie, former Iraq WMD whistleblower, Howard opponent and Green, now rebranded as a No Pokies independent, has polled enough votes that it appears he will just outlast the second Green in the cutup and go head to head with a Liberal for the final seat. He will need a heavy flow of Green preferences but the cut-up (which will occur from Tuesday to Thursday next week) should be a cracker.
    No Pokies with the support of Nick Xenephon??? I would think he couldn't without it, but?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Garvinator
    I think how to vote cards are a perfect example of the apathy of Australian voters as a whole. In my opinion, if a person needs a how to vote card at the polling booth to tell them which way to vote and how to vote, then they should not be voting at all.
    I don't see it as apathy at all. Having a preferred party and wanting them to win or to have their policies followed by the next closest party seems reasonable.

Apathy would be informal voting, donkey voting, or not bothering to show up at all.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    In any case Labor's trick with forging Family First how-to-vote card is beneath contempt.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Given the stupidity of some, the naivety of others, the depths of the deceit of others again, there exists sufficient reason to enact that all material clearly identify its origins and be tied to a party in a standardised format at the top of each piece.

Carry on!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    In any case Labor's trick with forging Family First how-to-vote card is beneath contempt.
    Exactly. It was just rampant dishonesty, no matter how "legal" it might have been.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    No Pokies with the support of Nick Xenephon??? I would think he couldn't without it, but?
    No Pokies is not a registered party here so anyone who wants to run in a state election and use No Pokies style campaigning can do so. I don't think Nick X actually had anything much to do with the Wilkie campaign.

CC Grandmaster
    No Pokies is not a registered party here so anyone who wants to run in a state election and use No Pokies style campaigning can do so. I don't think Nick X actually had anything much to do with the Wilkie campaign.
    Okay, thanks
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    Isobel Reymond has conceded defeat with the Liberals having no prospect of winning Hartley (or the even more unlikely Newland) on a swing due to declaration votes. However the Liberals are looking more likely to win Bright and Kris Hanna is still a slight favorite to very closely remain in second spot and win Mitchell. This leaves Labor with 24 seats. Mount Gambier is also still in doubt but indepentdent Don Pegler looks like just holding on despite the declaration votes favouring the LIberals.
    Mike Rann has claimed victory and named his ministers, with three newcomers and former Attorney-General Michael Atkinson being the most high profile person to no longer be a minster after he chose to be a backbencher.

That leaves SA decided, still seems to be quite a way to go in Tasmania though.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    That leaves SA decided, still seems to be quite a way to go in Tasmania though.
    Well no matter what happens we have a hung parliament here with either major party able to govern if willing and supported by the Greens. That much is clear; we're just waiting for the seat breakdown and to see whether the pre-election promises concerning response to that breakdown are adhered to.

Final outcomes should be known next Thursday, maybe Wednesday for Denison.

CC Grandmaster
    Well no matter what happens we have a hung parliament here with either major party able to govern if willing and supported by the Greens. That much is clear; we're just waiting for the seat breakdown and to see whether the pre-election promises concerning response to that breakdown are adhered to.

Final outcomes should be known next Thursday, maybe Wednesday for Denison.
    Kevin, yes that should be fun. I believe Bartlett said he would not remain in government if there was equal seats and he did not win the most votes statewide, so if it ends up 10-10 - 5 or something like that the Liberals should have first shot at government, but there seems to have been some talk of Bartlett being replaced and the Labor making a go of it with another leader. Great fun indeed.
    Scott

And the real twist in the tale of the SA election would be if there was another Kris Hanna in the Labor Party, but I am just being cheeky.

CC Grandmaster
    I am not sure that discussion of Rudd - Abbott nonevent belongs in this thread which is about STATE politics. [agreed and moved - mod]

In the SA elections and the seat of Bright, Labor's Chloe Fox has fought back from trailing by 6 votes to be in front by 2 votes after yesterdays counting. I did hear an update during the day that said Maria Kourtesis was leading by 57 votes. I have not seen an update on todays counting. I have no real opinion on who should win, but it would be nice to see Chloe Fox win seeing she decided against using the dodgey HTV cards in her electorate.
    Scott
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 25-03-2010 at 06:08 PM.

CC Grandmaster
    The SA Electoral Commission has just released more figures in the in doubt seats of the SA election. It appears Chloe Fox has won Bright for Labor after declaration votes have strongly favoured her over the last two days to give her what must be an uncatchable lead of 158 votes.
    Independent Don Pegler is going to win Mt Gambier with Liberal Steve Perryman not closing the gap and a quick enough rate.
    In Mitchell Independent Kris Hanna must be only just ahead of Liberal Peta McCance, if he is ahead of Peta McCance in second place. This must be very very tight. If the Liberals end up in second place Labor will win the seat.
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    The results are all in and Labor has won both Bright and Mitchell, results that looked unlikely midway through last week. This means the final seat tally's are
    Labour 26 (-2)
    Liberal 18 (+4)
    Independents 3 (-1) Bob Such, Don Pegler and Geoff Brock
    Nationals 0 (-1)

Scott

That is really a pretty good result for Labor all things considered. The real test now will be whether they can keep in shape for the next one or whether incumbency will do them in at that point. One of my colleagues (Peter Brent) has predicted that in four years Labor in SA will be as bad as Labor in NSW is now!

Thread Information