Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 488896979899 LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1474
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein resigns.

Interestingly, he was the top state leader picked to go on Kevin's poll - although the sample sizes are miniscule.
    Two of the voters for Gutwein cheated by voting after his announcement. I was out for coffee at the time and couldn't immediately close the poll.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

A new Treaty Authority between First Peoples and the Victorian government is a vital step towards a treaty

Last week the Victorian government demonstrated its commitment to build an equal relationship with First Peoples. A new bill has been tabled in the Victorian parliament to advance the Victorian treaty processes. ...

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Murray View Post
    A new Treaty Authority between First Peoples and the Victorian government is a vital step towards a treaty

Last week the Victorian government demonstrated its commitment to build an equal relationship with First Peoples. A new bill has been tabled in the Victorian parliament to advance the Victorian treaty processes. ...
    I am relieved to know Vic Parliament has resolved all socio-economic issues and found time to look into the treaty...
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Thx for sharing. My students keep sharing interesting links with me...now It will be my turn to share with them. This along with the treaty link. I will share both together in the context of ''so this is how Australia battles budget shortages and ensures economic growth''. 25 million dollars is still (despite inflation) enough money to finance hunderds of University scholarships for instance...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    Thx for sharing. My students keep sharing interesting links with me...now It will be my turn to share with them. This along with the treaty link. I will share both together in the context of ''so this is how Australia battles budget shortages and ensures economic growth''.
    Flying a flag and treating with indigenous populations have no bearing on budget shortages and economic growth

Your ex-colonial students might be better served if you shared this research paper with them (set in a Canadian context, but its similarity to the Australian experience is self-evident):

Toward an Understanding of International Students within Canadian Settler-colonial Capitalism

CC Grandmaster
    Flying a flag and treating with indigenous populations have no bearing on budget shortages and economic growth

Your ex-colonial students might be better served if you shared this research paper with them (set in a Canadian context, but its similarity to the Australian experience is self-evident):

Toward an Understanding of International Students within Canadian Settler-colonial Capitalism
    Did I hear 25 million? or no cost?

CC Grandmaster
    Did I hear 25 million? or no cost?
    Ian didn't say there would be 'no cost'. He just implied that the $25 million amount would have been relatively trivial (in a NSW budget of over $100 billion). But the decision has changed anyway: "The Aboriginal flag will permanently replace the state flag of New South Wales on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, as the government abandons plans to install an expensive new flagpole."

CC Grandmaster
    Ian didn't say there would be 'no cost'. He just implied that the $25 million amount would have been relatively trivial (in a NSW budget of over $100 billion). But the decision has changed anyway: "The Aboriginal flag will permanently replace the state flag of New South Wales on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, as the government abandons plans to install an expensive new flagpole."
    So what about those residents of NSW who are not Indigenous? this is their flag now? Personally I see Indigenous flag as totally meaniningless. The only flag that is significant to me is Australian flag I guess people burned the Australian Flag before without being fined. Wondering if someone burns the Indigenous flag it will be taken even less lightly - after all it is not the national flag of the country.

CC Grandmaster
    So what about those residents of NSW who are not Indigenous? this is their flag now? Personally I see Indigenous flag as totally meaniningless. The only flag that is significant to me is Australian flag I guess people burned the Australian Flag before without being fined. Wondering if someone burns the Indigenous flag it will be taken even less lightly - after all it is not the national flag of the country.
    Destroying other people's property is illegal. And people have been charged and convicted for burning the Australian Flag.

The Aboriginal Flag is an official Australian flag: "In 1995, the Aboriginal flag was recognised by the Australian Government as an official 'Flag of Australia' under the Flags Act 1953." So it should not be 'meaniningless' to anyone who's Australian!

CC Grandmaster
    Destroying other people's property is illegal. And people have been charged and convicted for burning the Australian Flag.

The Aboriginal Flag is an official Australian flag: "In 1995, the Aboriginal flag was recognised by the Australian Government as an official 'Flag of Australia' under the Flags Act 1953." So it should not be 'meaniningless' to anyone who's Australian!
    Does not have to be other people's property - can be bought in a store. I trust that those who buy and burn Indigenous flag will not be chared if its own purchase? One of the previous threads, someone was explaining to me that burning Australian flag is not illegal ....so I trust same applies to the Indigenous flag (s)

CC Grandmaster
    Does not have to be other people's property - can be bought in a store. I trust that those who buy and burn Indigenous flag will not be chared if its own purchase?
    You can't be charged with destroying your own property - obviously! However (from my previous link):
    The act of flag burning is itself not punishable under any specific offence criminalising the burning of the national flag, or, to adopt terms commonly used in this area, the destruction, desecration, or dishonouring of the Australian national flag. That is not to say the act of burning or destroying a flag is not covered by law; in NSW, for example, ss 195(2) of the Crimes Act 1900 (NSW) would likely apply in the events of the Invasion Day 2017 protest. That subsection provides that
    A person who, during a public disorder, intentionally or recklessly destroys or damages property belong to another or to that person and another is liable: ...

One of the previous threads, someone was explaining to me that burning Australian flag is not illegal ....so I trust same applies to the Indigenous flag (s)
    See above.

WATCH Matthew Guy's surprise tribute to “King Arthur” — it has been quietly scrubbed from Hansard

https://twitter.com/prguy17/status/1...2933wIyfrh6nU0

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    WATCH Matthew Guy's surprise tribute to “King Arthur” — it has been quietly scrubbed from Hansard

https://twitter.com/prguy17/status/1...2933wIyfrh6nU0
    Apparently a misspeak for King Alfred.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham View Post
    Apparently a misspeak for King Alfred.
    So he says now! But that doesn't make a lot of sense in context - King Alfred is hardly "well known", especially compared to Henry VIII: ' “In all those times, among all those monarchs, from figures well known – King Arthur, Henry VIII and so on – the longest reigning of them all was Queen Elizabeth II.” '

Thread Information