Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091
Results 1,351 to 1,357 of 1357
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    I'm more Broad - minded! Question: has David O'Byrne set a new all time States, Territories and Commonwealth leadership tenure record?
    Not in terms of territory Opposition Leaderships. Even excluding obvious interim leaders and leaders whose leadership was immediately before or after a spell as Premier (or both) there was a case in the ACT where Craig Duby, a crossbencher, was Opposition Leader for less than a day. There was also a weird case in the NT last year where Terry Mills may or may not have been Opposition Leader for a day or a few days (my view is he wasn't).

Also in terms of party leaderships the CLP in the NT had another weird case where Willem Westra van Holthe announced at 1 am that he had rolled Adam Giles for the CLP leadership and was hence going to become Chief Minister, but Giles refused to resign as Chief Minister and there were doubts about whether the parliament would accept the new leader as Chief Minister so the spill was reversed on the same calendar day.

However assuming O'Byrne doesn't come back I believe he will be the shortest serving Opposition Leader or ALP leader of a state or federally, excluding interim leaders and leaders immediately before or after being Premier/PM. He will take both records from William Dartnell Johnson, leader of the WA Labour Party (as then spelled) and WA Opposition between 4 and 27 October 1905. Johnson became leader in the leadup to an election at which he lost his seat. (Despite this Johnson later returned to the parliament in two spells for a total of over 35 years, but never again became leader.)
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-07-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by idledim View Post
    I'm more Broad - minded! Question: has David O'Byrne set a new all time States, Territories and Commonwealth leadership tenure record?
    He hasn't resigned yet, but his position seems untenable. Most likely will quit after having the weekend to think about it or when the next big covid news story gives some cover.

The trouble with Broad or Winter is the baggage that their own party didn't want them in the recent past, though that might be an advantage if the Party could bring itself to use it in advertising. But why not bring Bec back - nobody dislikes her and the guy who lusted (so to speak) after her job is out of the way.

CC Grandmaster
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_O'Byrne
    David O'Byrne appears to be having a background in Union Work....fighter for social justice I guess...
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rout View Post
    He hasn't resigned yet, but his position seems untenable. Most likely will quit after having the weekend to think about it or when the next big covid news story gives some cover.
    He's 'standing aside' at present. Maybe he's aware of the current record (which Kevin mentioned above), and is trying not to break it? Or holding out for Barty to win Wimbledon, so his resignation won't be noticed

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I am seeing a lot of contemptible media idiocy (Sky especially) about WA Labor's announcements on upper house electoral reform.

The proposed changes scrap the undemocratic Group Ticket Voting system and scrap severe rural malapportionment that was shovelling undeserved seats to the WA Nationals. They are entirely principled (perhaps going a little too far in that direction at the expense of practicality, but we will see) and come following the work of an expert panel. They are not a "grab for power", they are a grab for equality and a fair electoral system.

Especially, if WA Labor was rorting the system for itself it would not support a single statewide electorate with a very low quota that will lead to a diverse crossbench and remove the advantage major parties often have in systems broken up into divisions.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

rofl !

Thread Information