Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3

    chess program for linux

    Hi,

    Anyone had much to do with linux, opensource software ?

    I have been using crafty for a while now with xboard interface. I find crafty is more than a match for me and ultra aggressive - have'nt worked out how to pacify it yet ! Any other better alternatives out there ?
    thxs

  2. #2
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    I think crafty is pretty good for a free program. If it is more than a match, why upgrade?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I think crafty is pretty good for a free program. If it is more than a match, why upgrade?
    Do you know how I can tame it's aggressiveness by using command line parameters ?
    thxs

  4. #4
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by lioncub
    Do you know how I can tame it's aggressiveness by using command line parameters ?
    thxs
    You can use the commands

    sd <n>

    to set the maximum search depth (half moves ahead). Limiting this will cause crafty to suffer from short sighted move horizon effects.

    sn <n>

    to set the maximum number of nodes but like sd above but controlled by number of positions rather than depth. When there are many forced moves Crafty will search more deeply than otherwise but time wise it should be consistent

    st <n>

    sets the time (in seconds) for Crafty to spend thinking per move.

    The other option which can make it a little easier to beat is

    ponder off

    this will stop crafty from thinking in your time.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    CC Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    You can use the commands

    sd <n>

    to set the maximum search depth (half moves ahead). Limiting this will cause crafty to suffer from short sighted move horizon effects.

    sn <n>

    to set the maximum number of nodes but like sd above but controlled by number of positions rather than depth. When there are many forced moves Crafty will search more deeply than otherwise but time wise it should be consistent

    st <n>

    sets the time (in seconds) for Crafty to spend thinking per move.

    The other option which can make it a little easier to beat is

    ponder off

    this will stop crafty from thinking in your time.
    Thanks for the information, but that's not what I'm after. I have no desire to decrease crafty's strength any further. What I want to do, is to alter it's personality from aggressive to more balanced. I have tried 'evaluation asymmetry -25' at the end of the command line with no luck.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stinginess of Chess Players
    By Paul S in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 24-04-2008, 09:48 PM
  2. Imagine there's no Swamp. Its easy if you try.
    By PhilD707 in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 21-03-2007, 05:22 PM
  3. Chess Guru - program of failures?
    By ElevatorEscapee in forum Computer Chess
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-05-2006, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •