Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965

    What is the result?

    What is the correct result in the following scenarios?

    Player A has a King + Knight + Bishop (white squared)
    Player B has a King + Bishop (black squared)

    1) What is the result if player A's flag falls?
    2) What is the result if Player B's flag falls?

    I guess what I am asking is if someone's flag falls and their opponent has enough material to mate but cannot force mate, is the result a draw or a loss to the player whose flag falls?

    3) What about in the same scenario, player A notices that his time is about to run out but he is nowhere near getting close to the 50-move rule. Can he stop the clock and claim a draw since his opponent cannot force a checkmate?

    And final question, are the answers to 1-3 the same in blitz Vs longer time controls?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17,058
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    What is the correct result in the following scenarios?

    Player A has a King + Knight + Bishop (white squared)
    Player B has a King + Bishop (black squared)

    1) What is the result if player A's flag falls?
    2) What is the result if Player B's flag falls?

    I guess what I am asking is if someone's flag falls and their opponent has enough material to mate but cannot force mate, is the result a draw or a loss to the player whose flag falls?
    1) B wins.
    2) A wins.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    3) What about in the same scenario, player A notices that his time is about to run out but he is nowhere near getting close to the 50-move rule. Can he stop the clock and claim a draw since his opponent cannot force a checkmate?
    Provided there is no increment and it is the final time control period then once player A has less than 2 minutes left he can make a claim under Article 10.2.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    And final question, are the answers to 1-3 the same in blitz Vs longer time controls?
    Answers are the same in rapid to all 3 questions. In blitz the answers are the same in 1 & 2. Since Article 10.2 does not apply in blitz then A cannot stop his clock and claim.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2005 Queensland Championship and Reserve games
    By Garvinator in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
  2. The 16 games from the world champs
    By Garvinator in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-10-2006, 09:21 PM
  3. Vic Junior games
    By LEARNER in forum Games and Analysis
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22-08-2005, 01:35 PM
  4. Rookendgames
    By Pillsbury in forum Chess Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-05-2005, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •