Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

2009 Oceania Zonal

The Oceania Chess Calendar indicates the dates for the 2009 Zonal to be from 20/6/09 to 26/6/09.

Is there any chance of delaying that schedule by a week?

Reason: that schedule will clash with mid year University exams.

If the dates cannot be changed, that's okay. However, some students who are considering entering might not be able to enter, due to mid year exams.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Chow
    The Oceania Chess Calendar indicates the dates for the 2009 Zonal to be from 20/6/09 to 26/6/09.

Is there any chance of delaying that schedule by a week?

Reason: that schedule will clash with mid year University exams.

If the dates cannot be changed, that's okay. However, some students who are considering entering might not be able to enter, due to mid year exams.
    Some uni lecturers (like me) might play too!

CC Candidate Master

Oceanic Zonal Entry Form

The 2009 Oceanic Zonal Entry Form is now available at http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceania...eaniazonal.pdf

Unfortunately we are too far down the track, and it is not possible to change the dates as suggested by Tony Chow.

CC Candidate Master

Oceanic Zonal Correction

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggardiner
    The board automatically shortens URLs over a given length, but clicking on them still works. I am not sure of the easiest way around this.

the full link will appear at the bottom of the browser (at least it does for me in ie7) but you can right click and select "copy shortcut" and then paste it selsewhere to see it in full too
    Last edited by eclectic; 17-06-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Switching off "Automatically parse links in text" allows you to print the URL in full; however, you cannot then effectively click on it, eg

http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/2009oceaniazonal.pdf

...unless you do it in a tricky way:

"http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/2009oceaniazonal.pdf"

(The bottom link was made by switching off "Automatically parse links in text" then putting the link inside a URL tag pointing to itself.)

(took me about five tries to get this post right!)

CC Candidate Master
    Please note that the webpage for the 2009 Oceania Zonal is now up at

http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceania...azonal2009.htm

Previously we only had a link to the entry form.

Although it is still 10 months away, we already have three entries (listed on the webpage) and I understand that there is a great deal of interest around the traps. We are certainly determined to put on a good event.

CC Candidate Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ggardiner
    Although it is still 10 months away, we already have three entries (listed on the webpage) and I understand that there is a great deal of interest around the traps. We are certainly determined to put on a good event.
    Does it matter that IM Peter Froehlich's affiliation, according to the FIDE site, is GER?

Quote Originally Posted by EBT
    Does it matter that IM Peter Froehlich's affiliation, according to the FIDE site, is GER?
    I would think so as it is my understanding that only members of federations within that zone can be entrants.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Candidate Master
    I understand from Peter Froehlich that he will be changing his registration from Germany to Australia

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    I have heard nothing from Peter and the only reason I heard about this issue was when Kevin alerted me to this thread. I'm afraid there is simply no way that Peter can participate in the Oceania Zonal under FIDE's current rules. Every case is different, but the minimum transfer time in all cases is 10 months.

Just to remind everyone, FIDE's affiliation transfer rules are far from trivial and often involve hefty fees. Your best chance is to communicate your intentions to the ACF at the earliest opportunity.

Greg Canfell
    FIDE Ratings & Administrative Officer
    Australian Chess Federation

CC Candidate Master
    This is just to advise that in response to several requests, the time controls for the 2009 Oceania Zonal have been increased as follows:

40 moves in 90 minutes, 30 minutes to finish, plus 30 seconds per move from the start.

Graeme Gardiner

CC Candidate Master

Gold Coast Open

As an added attraction, the Gold Coast Open, a cat 5 Yulgilbar-Think Big Grand Prix event, will take place in the same playing venue, Visions Conference Room, Twin Towns Resort, Tweed Heads on the weekend immediately after the Zonal 27/28 June 2009.

GG

CC Candidate Master

Closet Grandmaster blogging at the Zonal

I'm just following the Closet Grandmaster blogging from Queenstown in the first round....doesn't he do a great job. Fortunately he has agreed to blog at the Oceania Zonal. Apparently the Queenstown Classic is a qualification Tournament for New Zealand seeds to the Oceania Zonal (which in itself is a world championship qualification event).

I've just returned from the Aust Juniors in Adelaide, and from what I hear whilst talking to various chess people, there is going to be an excellent turnout for the zonal. It also gave me the opportunity to discuss with GM Ian Rogers his commentating role at the zonal.

By the way, it is probably a good idea to get in reasonably early with your accommodation bookings (through me) to gain the best deals and to ensure availability. Don't forget to stay on the for the Gold Coast Open!

See you in June, if not before.

GG

Thread Information