Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alana
    I was looking this up. Next Oceania Zonal is in New Zealand in 2011, looks like every two years
    Rotorua at this stage to be exact. Looks like either March/April or May depending on tournaments over here to avoid a clash.

CC International Master Goughfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    The underlined word was never intended to be a part of my previous postings as a suspicion, innuendo or allegation. I was actually referring to this part of your last posting

which (not being a conservative redneck) I don't mind at all, although I can't claim it helps my concentration on my game either!
    So, if I understand you correctly, is it suggested that Sue was asked to stop cavorting with Gawain because other competitors were finding their public displays of affection off-putting?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Rotorua at this stage to be exact. Looks like either March/April or May depending on tournaments over here to avoid a clash.
    I'd had the impression that we were entering the Asian zone and that this was the last Oceania Zonal, per se. Does this mean that cheap FM titles will still be available come 2011?
    "People with guns don't understand. That's why they get guns. Too many misunderstandings." - Jerry Seinfeld, The Little Kicks

So, if I understand you correctly, is it suggested that Sue was asked to stop cavorting with Gawain because other competitors were finding their public displays of affection off-putting?
    No! The other way around, since

Quote Originally Posted by tournament bulletin
    (Jones
    had earlier received a warning
    about talking to Maroroa
    during round 3.)
    and my

I don't know about you guys, I reckon the arbiter is right in this one!
    has to do with the arbiter's being consistent with his/her initial warning whatever its reason (still unknown to me) was!
    Last edited by ER; 24-06-2009 at 09:00 AM.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    James is doing really well. Good luck and keep it up!
    This win against a top QLD junior rated >200 points higher was quite something: White seemed to have all the running, with a N outpost on d6 and control of the centre, yet Black worked around all that to throw a grenade on f3:

[Event "Tweed Heads Oceanic Zonal"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2009.06.21"]
    [Round "4.6"]
    [White "Ly, Moulthun"]
    [Black "Morris, James"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "B22"]
    [WhiteElo "2340"]
    [BlackElo "2114"]
    [PlyCount "64"]
    [EventDate "2009.06.??"]
    [EventType "swiss"]
    [EventRounds "9"]
    [EventCountry "AUS"]
    [Source "MonRoi"]

PGN Viewer

“The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    This win against a top QLD junior rated >200 points higher was quite something: White seemed to have all the running, with a N outpost on d6 and control of the centre, yet Black worked around all that to throw a grenade on f3:
    It took me a lot of time to notice the line 29.gxf3 Nxf3+ 30.Kf1(2) Nxd2 31.Qxd2 Qf6+! winning the rook a1. Most likely I would've missed it in the game as black or as white until black played 28...Rxf3
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC International Master
    Very impressive game... It looks like another Smerdon is coming up. Would be interesting to watch how "old" Smerdon plays with "young" Smerdon tonight..

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    AR's blog quotes GM Jones saying that there was a complaint made although the complaining party is not named.

Issuing a warning in the first place is a clear indication that (according to the arbiter) there was some sort of violation.
    Not necessarily. The arbiter has duties to act in the interests of the competition and on that basis can issue warnings to players to desist from contentious behaviour even if the behaviour in question is not clearly against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    AR's blog quotes GM Jones saying that there was a complaint made although the complaining party is not named.
    That must be tough going through life like that - I wonder if it was cruel joke by the parents. With that sort of chip on shoulder, I'd probably complain about lots of things too.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Not necessarily. The arbiter has duties to act in the interests of the competition and on that basis can issue warnings to players to desist from contentious behaviour even if the behaviour in question is not clearly against the rules.
    It's still a puzzle why Sue resigned in tears, when all she got was a second warning, not even a time penalty.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Sometimes arbiters reprimand players for talking (quite rightfully, IMHO). It does not mean an accusation of something untoward like cheating.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Tennis

Hey if Guy or George or Damien or Gino is reading this I've booked a court for 9am tomorrow morning.

I'll try to catch up this afternoon before the game to try to organise a game of doubles.

Victorians probably have a BIG advantage though, with origin night tonite...

ha ha ha

Cheers
    Garrett.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    yeah that's a good one.

I really liked his game against Lane too.

cheers
    Garrett.

CC Grandmaster
    with the "Maroa-Jones" case - i think the issue was - she was publicly displaying affection towards a GM..rather than simply publicly displaying affection.

Otherwise, opponents would not care
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    with the "Maroa-Jones" case - i think the issue was - she was publicly displaying affection towards a GM..rather than simply publicly displaying affection.

Otherwise, opponents would not care
    lol hold on! She displayed this kind of affection to Jones while playing me at the Vic Open. Actually the GM had a thorough look at the position (the chess position) before they both departed for a short walk while publicly displaying the kind of affection you are talking about! I didn't find that suspicious nor did I complain about it!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

the real deal looking very real.as a chess parent i would like to know what cereal he grew up on.

Thread Information