Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Corro Games: Chesschat

I'd like to run a series of best correspondence games played here on Chesschat. I've appointed myself mod for the job! Reason being that the thread might get swamped with all sorts of rehashes of what has preceded elsewhere, with all manner of iffy analysis and self promotion that isn't supported by the facts!

And besides, we need to make up the rules and parameters as we go along

So what we need are:
    1. Judging Committee (panel)
    2. Nominations
    3. Parameters and criteria (submissions and judging)
    4. Order!

1. Committee
    I'd like to invite Jono, macavity, Michael Baron and drug to be on that committee (yes, this is the formal request - can't afford to print them up, can't be bothered PMing). I'm assuming that not all will accept, but if they do, that would be a bonus.

2. Nominations
    3. Parameters and criteria
    Please, please submit your nominations. Right here is fine - with a SHORT explanation piece for the committee's consideration. It might be for a brilliancy, because it's your best game ever, because of the complexity, excitement ... whatever. I'm sure the judges will entertain any idea (just don't waste their time with some rubbish you tossed off . Perhaps they'll even lay down their own parameters. We're looking for all strengths here - the proposed judges are experienced enough to allow for that.

4. Order!
    Please don't dribble on (much - the usual classroom mucking up should be permitted )
    Please try and stay within the object of the thread - there are copious other repositories for general dribble (like self-flagellation threads )

Right
    • committee invitees, please say yes
    • players, please consider which games you'd like to nominate

Carry on!
    Last edited by Basil; 03-06-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Jono says 'yes'!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    OK I'm going to nominate my current unfinished game with Alexrules01

<Deleted a la Duggan dribble>
    Last edited by Trent Parker; 04-06-2008 at 11:32 PM.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    Deleted a la duggan dribble
    Last edited by Trent Parker; 04-06-2008 at 11:31 PM.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC International Master
    I can help as much as I can. Gunner, think about the process where the reviews are given independently, otherwise the second review could be influenced by the first.

Quote Originally Posted by drug
    I can help as much as I can. Gunner, think about the process where the reviews are given independently, otherwise the second review could be influenced by the first.
    Thank you. We entrust the panel to respect each other's opinions - you can fight out discuss disagreements in PM - and if you can't make a decision, perhaps you can pass it on to the *ahem* Ultimate Authority You guys will do a bang up job.

Have PMd the mac, the baron and the goldenberg. Will wait another 24 hours before empaneling.

In the interim, submissions can come in, but perhaps without the running commentary a la Dilly Dribble

The Goldenberg is in!

CC Candidate Master
    I wonder if this thread is inspired by our game Gunner.

Is it allowed to enter more than once?
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by Zwischenzug
    I wonder if this thread is inspired by our game Gunner.
    No it wasn't. It wasn't inspired by any game in particular.

The idea had been rattling around in my head for a while. Someone suggested something similar in my call for HADBBA award suggestions, and it further struck me during the current Chesschat #7 tourn (in which I'm not playing but poke my head in from time to time) that there are some quite good/ exciting games being played.

But you should consider entering our game or any other takes your fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Is it allowed to enter more than once?
    As many times as one likes. Your games. Other games.

I would ask that people supply:
    1. Links to their games
    2. Their ACF rating.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Thank you. We entrust the panel to respect each other's opinions - you can fight out discuss disagreements in PM - and if you can't make a decision, perhaps you can pass it on to the *ahem* Ultimate Authority You guys will do a bang up job.

Have PMd the mac, the baron and the goldenberg. Will wait another 24 hours before empaneling.

In the interim, submissions can come in, but perhaps without the running commentary a la Dilly Dribble
    It might be instructive to post our reasoning after the award has been decided.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am delighted to advise that the esteemed panel of (listed in acceptance order)

• Jonathan Sarfati
    • Vladimir Smirnov
    • Igor Goldenberg

are empaneled having kindly agreed to volunteer their time and abilities to assess our mere mortal offerings. How exciting!

For the record, I did request the assistance of macavity and Michale Baron, in this thread, in the shoutbox and via PM. I have not heard back from either of them.

I hope you are all now actively considering nominations (games played by self or otherwise).

Please stay tuned for more specific nomination criteria (which may include different categories), but let's face it - a good game is a good game. Don't be coy. Thanks to Dilly for the first, and I hope, of many.

CC Candidate Master
    Well I'll join in, I havn't played hardly any correpondence games but this game kinda stuck out, the classic attack on opposite wings. There where some complications, different lines that may have been better but I really liked this game.

PGN Viewer
     [/QUOTE]

A worthy candidate. Nice game.

Although I'm biased.

Thread Information