Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is the Dutch really an aggressive opening??

I was considering taking up the Dutch as my main defence to d4, but is it really an aggressive opening?? With my look at it so far it seems to lead to very closed positions or does it depend on how black decides to play? I would like to play aggressively for a win v d4, could it possiblity be that it starts off seeming quiet but later on when black pushes his kings pawns forward all hell breaks loose???

What are you experiences/thoughts which the dutch as black or white??

Quote Originally Posted by Intuition
    I was considering taking up the Dutch as my main defence to d4, but is it really an aggressive opening?? With my look at it so far it seems to lead to very closed positions or does it depend on how black decides to play? I would like to play aggressively for a win v d4, could it possiblity be that it starts off seeming quiet but later on when black pushes his kings pawns forward all hell breaks loose???

As a caution, Korchnoi once said that the in the Dutch Defence the best move for Black would be f5-f7 But even he played it early in his career, and many players play it frequently, if not all the time. Mos Ali is one that has scored many good wins with the Dutch. Hopefully someone that knows it will share some of Black's strategic aims and tactical weapons, because all I can offer is that Black often looks at pushing the pawn to f4 and opening up the Kingside for an attack.
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

that Staunton

Quote Originally Posted by Intuition
    I was considering taking up the Dutch as my main defence to d4, (...)

Learn as much as you can against the Staunton Gambit! 1.d4 f5 2. e4
    or if you are planning 1.d4 e6 and then ... f5 learn the French so you can defend against 1.d4 e6 2. e4
    Cheers and good luck!
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    Learn as much as you can against the Staunton Gambit! 1.d4 f5 2. e4
    or if you are planning 1.d4 e6 and then ... f5 learn the French so you can defend against 1.d4 e6 2. e4
    Cheers and good luck!
    the trick is to always (where possible) enter the netherlands via france

1... e6 2... f5

it won't always work, Belgium is in the way
    Cheers and good luck
    https://www.nswca.org.au/index.php
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

From this day (13-11-20) onwards, I will only be posting, shouting and reading none other than chess related posts.

I've played the Leningrad version of the Dutch fairly often. But I don't think you can get there via France! Plus I second JaK's comments re: the Staunton, its very dangerous for Black if you don't know the theory.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman
    I've played the Leningrad version of the Dutch fairly often. But I don't think you can get there via France!
    Right - that's nough - no more puns on the geographoical location of France, Holland, and Russia thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman
    Plus I second JaK's comments re: the Staunton, its very dangerous for Black if you don't know the theory.
    If you look up Spiny's comment in Wki, you'll see this

http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=34
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by justaknight
    it won't always work, Belgium is in the way
    Cheers and good luck
    The Nazi's didn't seem to think Belgium was in the way of anything.

oh well...some informative comments but the thread seem to have been highjacked by geography lecturers...the question still remains about the aggressivness of the opening...do you score well with against it? low draw rate?? many closed games?? attacking games?? all out slaghter by both sides?? quiet games??

okay - on a more serious note.

I have played against the Dutch a few times and there were no draws.

I guess I would call it an 'aggressive' opening in that black goes for an unbalanced position which may be slightly worse but with dynamic chances.

Have fun.

In my opinion it is not an aggressive opening. It often does lead to kingside attacks though, it just takes a while to get there.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

CC Grandmaster
    It really depends what line of the Dutch you are playing and how you are going ti interprete it.

And let me repete my favorite quote "there are no good and bad openings - there are good and bad players"
    Similarly it can be said "there are no agressive openings - there are agressive players"
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    the trick is to always (where possible) enter the netherlands via france 1... e6 2... f5
    Still loses to g4!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Still loses to g4!
    If that is a pun on The G4, then it's probably one of the best I've ever seen. If not, then ... well, I enjoyed it all by myself.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Speaking seriously, from what I've read, the Dutch's popularity rests not on its aggressiveness but on the fact that it is not as greatly analysed as more popular openings and that it leads to an unbalanced position. As Michael says, it's how you play it that matters. In a way it's like the Sicilian which can be played in so many different ways that its character varies depending on which line you choose or, being Black, are allowed to choose. That's quite apart from whether you play your chosen line properly. Launching off into unusual, or relatively unusual, openings requires a lot of original study and a good knowledge of general opening principles if you are to stay out of trouble, let alone win.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Thread Information