Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    PETROL WILL BE $2/L within 18mths .
    mark these words.
    18 months? More like 6 months at the current rate..

(and likely $4/L within 3yrs.)

All part of The Green Shirt agenda of kicking us out of cars onto PT.
    Note that the current petrol price has nothing at all to do with Green agendas.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    PETROL WILL BE $2/L within 18mths .
    mark these words.
    That could well be the case. It has been over that in some parts of the world for ages.

(and likely $4/L within 3yrs.)
    I doubt it.

I rarely tire of telling this story, but in the early 80s there was a children's ABC TV show called Earthwatch, which I suspect was mainly enviro-propaganda. Being too young to know any better, I liked it and watched it frequently. Anyway it had a song in which a price of $20/litre was predicted! I wonder sometimes if it will even reach that in my lifetime.

CC International Master

gas prices

As most are probably aware coal bed methane is going to be a big Australian export within a few years. Currently this sells for about $10.50 a thousand cubic feet overseas compared to $3.50 a thousand cubic feet in Victoria. I seen it suggested that Australian domestic prices will rise to parity with export ones.

I am seriously considering putting a solar booster for my gas hot water system on the roof. Also I am thinking of putting solar panels on the roof. With the money I earn selling electricity back to the company during the day I can use an
    electric heater in the study and only use the gas central heating when I am having visitors.

CC International Master

oil price

Interestingly, I was reading some research on Australian oil shares today where a figure of US$60 a barrel was used. Of course a caveat was put on that profits would be greater if prices were higher.

In my opinion the markets are betting that oil and gas prices will rise.

Remember that on a commodity such as oil the price is determined at the margin. Furthermore demand is increasing at the same time as supply is falling.

I personally think that it is time oil was priced in Euros or swiss francs. The US dollar is too unstable at the present time.

One further point is that in the United States the railways are laying track for the first time in fifty years. The cost of shifting goods by train is one sixth of that of shifting them using trucks since the price of diesol rose.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Hi David,

Given that energy is going to be of increasing importance in the short to medium term future, what would be impression of investing in the energy company market?

Yes, I know that Mr Susan Malawatsaname previously objected to your ad-hoc stockmarket advice on some whacko legal technicality, that made him feel very important to himself, but that does not mean you can't give general impressions as to how you think the market might play out in the longer term. I for one would welcome such long term style projections.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC Grandmaster

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Mr Susan Malawatsaname
    Who could that be?
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Given that energy is going to be of increasing importance in the short to medium term future, what would be impression of investing in the energy company market?
    I'm not David, and I really know nothing about this market.

However, if - and that's a big IF - we've reached peak oil, then the costs of exploration and extraction are going to rise. Therefore, rising prices does not necessarily imply rising profitability. Moreover, if a carbon tax is imposed, then the costs of doing business in this sector will also rise.

In any industry sector, there will always be winners and losers, it's just in a boomtime there's more winners. Therefore, it should theoretically be just as sensible to invest in the energy market as any other - which is why stockbrokers often recommend a balanced portfolio with holdings in various industries. To do well out of a particular industry, you really need to be a bit of an expert. Thus, research your companies, know the industry and make investment decisions based on the company's long term prospects. And always seek professional investment advice!
    "the other lefty"

I'd like to know what would happen to the price of petrol if aggressive worldwide action was taken (through extra taxes or even bans on new cars of certain models) to curb use of gas-guzzling vehicles, and thus force people to drive more economical cars. Wouldn't this have the effect of reducing demand for petrol and therefore sending the price down, rather than having the price dragged up for everyone else by those who can afford to fill up gas-guzzlers? What economic damage would such a scheme do?

(Not necessarily endorsing such a scheme, just curious about what economic impact it would have.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I'd like to know what would happen to the price of petrol if aggressive worldwide action was taken (through extra taxes or even bans on new cars of certain models) to curb use of gas-guzzling vehicles, and thus force people to drive more economical cars. Wouldn't this have the effect of reducing demand for petrol and therefore sending the price down, rather than having the price dragged up for everyone else by those who can afford to fill up gas-guzzlers? What economic damage would such a scheme do?

(Not necessarily endorsing such a scheme, just curious about what economic impact it would have.)
    imagine if we all used our feet and walked or failing that tried to work from home using the net etc ...

You been reading Charles Krauthammer lately, Kevin?
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    You been reading Charles Krauthammer lately, Kevin?
    Quote Originally Posted by the said author
    SUV sales are in free fall.
    Music to my ears. Interesting article.

(By the way I am biased against SUVs in suburbia mainly because they are a serious hazard to pedestrians; I care about that much more than about gas-guzzling.)

CC Grandmaster
    I'd like to know what would happen to the price of petrol if aggressive worldwide action was taken (through extra taxes or even bans on new cars of certain models) to curb use of gas-guzzling vehicles,
    If petrol continues to skyrocket, then those vehicles will be almost self-taxing.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    If petrol continues to skyrocket, then those vehicles will be almost self-taxing.
    So let the market work, without the crass FoolWatch that allegedly reduces prices followed by weapons of mass taxation that do the opposite but are sacrifices required by the green religion.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    So let the market work, without the crass FoolWatch that allegedly reduces prices followed by weapons of mass taxation that do the opposite but are sacrifices required by the green religion.
    Fuelwatch won't make a blind bit of difference either way. I live in Perth, and I don't know anyone who consults Fuelwatch before buying petrol.

Thread Information