CC Rookie

A nice endgame puzzle

Hi, I was reading Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual (regarded by many GM's as one of the best endgame books ever printed) and I came across this endgame posistion. White to play and draw, its a nice line . See if any of you can solve it and I'll post the answer tommorow.

FEN Viewer

I've seen this one before, so knew immediately what to do ... yes, its a nice little study!
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Kiriakov Killer

It is nice. I have seen it before but still took me a while to work it out. In return for your kindness, here is one for you to enjoy
    FEN Viewer

White to move and win.
    This one comes from GM Petr Kiriakov and at the time (circa 2005), he described it as his favourite study.
    I will post the solution on Monday.
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziah
    Hi, I was reading Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual (regarded by many GM's as one of the best endgame books ever printed) and I came across this endgame posistion. White to play and draw, its a nice line . See if any of you can solve it and I'll post the answer tommorow.
    I agree with your appraisal of the book (also started it recently, but go very slow as almost every example is very challenging). Some of the puzzles are real brain twisters!
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    I agree with your appraisal of the book (also started it recently, but go very slow as almost every example is very challenging). Some of the puzzles are real brain twisters!
    Yeah, I always thought the endgame was boring until I started reading his book, the examples are always interesting , and he explains things very well.

Event: ?
    Site: ?
    Date: ????.??.??
    Round: ?
    White: White to move
    Black: Solution
    Result: 1-0
    SetUp: 1
    PlyCount: 25

PGN Viewer

Sorry, but this is the best result I could get. Hopefully some nice moderator will fix it up and tell me how I should have done it in the first place
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 14-05-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke
    Sorry, but this is the best result I could get. Hopefully some nice moderator will fix it up and tell me how I should have done it in the first place
    To do PGN starting from a given position, construct the FEN string for that position (as you did) then put

[PGN=(your FEN string goes here)]

then the moves

then close the PGN as normal.

(If you're quick about it, you can click edit on your post and check how I have done it.)

PS Nice puzzle.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 14-05-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    To do PGN starting from a given position, construct the FEN string for that position (as you did) then put

[PGN=(your FEN string goes here)]

then the moves

then close the PGN as normal.

(If you're quick about it, you can click edit on your post and check how I have done it.)

PS Nice puzzle.
    Thanks Kevin,
    Knew there would be an answer, but I should have thought inside the square [] not outside the square

Thread Information