Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar

Favourite game thread - runners up section!

[next several posts sf. favourite game thread]

This is a game that is not my favourite but serves as a further reason why I like the one I posted.

Bonham - Chadwick, HICC 2001

PGN Viewer

Like the Billam game, I certainly play some very nice moves in this game after the usual dodgy opening and early middlegame.

19.e5 deserves at least one exclamation mark as I'm allowing both ...Bxb4 and ...Rxb4, both of which are very messy and need calculation several moves ahead but appear to favour white - all this for the sake of a lousy pawn being saved after 19...Ne4 (probably best) 20.b5 instead of just 19.b5 losing e4.

In the line played in the game, white has lots of fun leaving both rooks en prise and black can't take the second one, and ends up having to return the first one a pawn down.

28.Qg7+ is the sort of simplifying combo everybody loves to see on the board in front of them - but it's especially rewarding when the endgame that comes after it is not a walkover but a tricky win requiring some technique to keep the opposing pawns under lock and key.

But the reason I don't rate this one as anything but a fun and interesting game is the flaw in the middle of the mindless violence. The mug with the white pieces played 22.Qg5? which allows the missed defence 22...Bd8 23.Bf4 e5 and white is exchange for pawn down and probably not quite putting food on the table (though there should be very good drawing chances). 22.Qf4! instead avoids that defence.

I have several on the same level as this one - nice attack with a single flaw in the middle of it, or I won nicely but for one move in the opening the opponent could have been +/-.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 18-04-2008 at 02:09 AM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Not really a favourite game, but certainly memorable: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2936

Event: 2006 Nell Van Der Graaff Classic
    Round: 1
    White: Gray, Garvin
    Black: Solomon, Stephen
    Result: 0-1

PGN Viewer

Bloody hell!
    This thread is turning into "hey have a look at this game!"

Not happy Jan!

Kevin, would you please split these into a thread entitled something like
    "NOT my favourite game ever so far ... actually it's crap but I won and I had fun!!!"

Bloody hell! Did I already say that?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Account Suspended

NOT my favourite game ever so far ... actually it's crap but I won and I had fun!!!

Thread so that people can stop putting their non favorite in gunners thread

There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Which of Jono's several do you want me to move there?

Of course, I carefully cheated by making the second one I put up part of my reason for the first one being my favourite. I believe that this masterful exercise in rules-lawyering should be treated with acclaim, and preferably even awe.

Oh, by the way, are freestyle or team games allowed on this thread, or does it have to be one-on-one unassisted OTB? (NB This is not a threat to post another game, tempting though it is.)
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Which of Jono's several do you want me to move there?
    indeed. Jono had the good grace to put them all into one post which earned him brownie points. I also liked his brief assessment of why they were favs.

Oh, by the way, are freestyle or team games allowed on this thread, or does it have to be one-on-one unassisted OTB? (NB This is not a threat to post another game, tempting though it is.)
    I can't see why freestyle games shouldn't be permitted. I didn't have them in mind when I created the thread because to my own disposition against the damned things.

...I certainly play some very nice moves in this game after the usual dodgy opening and early middlegame.
    Nice finish (prior to the workmanlike mopping up).

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Not really a favourite game, but certainly memorable: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2936
    Yup. You acquitted yourself well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Yup. You acquitted yourself well.
    I thought I deserved quite a few GCD's for at least posting a loss, which I think I am the first for this thread.

I thought I deserved quite a few GCD's for at least posting a loss, which I think I am the first for this thread.
    I'll be interested to see if anyone ever gives a loss as their favourite game!

I think a lot of my losses are more spectacular and memorable than even my showiest wins. It's not enough for the wheels to just fall off; they have to flatten adjacent buildings in the process.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Ah yes but you have so many to choose from. (Sorry, no malice intended)
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I'm tempted to post the only two games where I have won the queen for modest (and ultimately insufficient) compensation and managed to lose both! Or is that 'The Pits & Shockers'?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    I'm tempted to post the only two games where I have won the queen for modest (and ultimately insufficient) compensation and managed to lose both! Or is that 'The Pits & Shockers'?
    Maybe in the Aaron "Why must I lose to this idiot?" Nimzowitsch thread.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Thread Information