Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I thought I had a thread World War 1 and 2 but cannot find? thanksany help
    Good way to find threads if you know the title is click on Advanced Search, and then when you enter words from the title, choose Search Titles Only from the dropdown, replacing Search Entire Posts.

I searched for "world war" and found it:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....ld-War-1-amp-2

Maybe war posts in Nell-Van-De-Graaf-Weekender can be moved to non chess thread
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    The thread title Nakamura-Nepomniatchi incidents in 2015 World Cup should be corrected to the Latin spelling that he uses: Nepomniachtchi, the French transliteration of Непо́мнящий. The English transliteration would usually be Nepomnyashchi. This also explains why his first name Ян is written as Ian rather than Yan.

Also, more minor, the hyphen should be an endash (–) to make it clear they are different people not one person with a hyphenated surname.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    The thread title Nakamura-Nepomniatchi incidents in 2015 World Cup should be corrected to the Latin spelling that he uses: Nepomniachtchi, the French transliteration of Непо́мнящий. The English transliteration would usually be Nepomnyashchi. This also explains why his first name Ян is written as Ian rather than Yan.

Also, more minor, the hyphen should be an endash (–) to make it clear they are different people not one person with a hyphenated surname.
    I've changed the title. The endash is mildly problematic as there is not usually a key on a standard keyboard that produces it and so such a standard is unlikely to be followed on an online forum. But I've added spaces around the hyphen which achieves the same purpose.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I've changed the title. The endash is mildly problematic as there is not usually a key on a standard keyboard that produces it and so such a standard is unlikely to be followed on an online forum. But I've added spaces around the hyphen which achieves the same purpose.
    Thanks, that solves all the problems. In case anyone is interested, endash (–) is ATL-0150 and endash (—) ALT-151.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Proposed thread split for American politics

I suggest a thread split on the American Politics thread. At present, there have been a number of polls conducted, but because of the interest and importance of this topic, I suggest splitting off the polls and making new threads:

Who would you prefer as Republican nominee for 2016 (NOT: who do you think will win the nomination)? [May be unnecessary because that poll question has been up for a while).
    Who would you prefer as Democratic nominee for 2016 (NOT: who do you think will win the nomination)?
    Who do you think will win the Republican nominee for 2016 (NOT: who would you like to win)?
    Who do you think will win the Democratic nominee for 2016 (NOT: who would you like to win)?

To avoid thread multiplication, these individual threads could be updated with similar polls in 2020.

True, the Dem nomination threads might be a little bare or redundant, but so far it's an extremely close two-horse race.

Later:

Who do you think will win the 2016 Presidential election (NOT, who would you prefer to win)?
    Who would you prefer to win the 2016 Presidential election (NOT, do you think will win)?

Proposed thread split for American politics

I suggest a thread split on the American Politics thread. At present, there have been a number of polls conducted, but because of the interest and importance of this topic, I suggest splitting off the polls and making new threads:

Who would you prefer as Republican nominee for 2016 (NOT: who do you think will win the nomination)? [May be unnecessary because that poll question has been up for a while).
    Who would you prefer as Democratic nominee for 2016 (NOT: who do you think will win the nomination)?
    Who do you think will win the Republican nominee for 2016 (NOT: who would you like to win)?
    Who do you think will win the Democratic nominee for 2016 (NOT: who would you like to win)?

To avoid thread multiplication, these individual threads could be updated with similar polls in 2020.

True, the Dem nomination threads might be a little bare or redundant, but so far it's an extremely close two-horse race.

Later:

Who do you think will win the 2016 Presidential election (NOT, who would you prefer to win)?
    Who would you prefer to win the 2016 Presidential election (NOT, do you think will win)?
    Splitting the existing content into new threads would be much too much work. However, any member who wants to start new threads in order to start their own polls on these issues (other than the first) is very welcome.

To whom it may concern, can we please change the Ethanol threads title to something more appropriate since the current title implies that there is indeed some sort of discussion pertaining to ethanol when there is clearly none of the sort.

All that my participation in the thread has involved is exposing Capafans deluded hyopcricy in thinking that he is in a position to rail against ethanol fuels "corrupt subsidies".

One suggestion for a more appropriate thread title would be "A study in hypocricy : The lamentable ways of Capafan."

Cheers,
    D.M.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

The thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....341#post412341 should correct the spelling of the name: Ilyumzhinov.

CC Rookie
    Wondering if it would be a good idea to have a 2017 tournament "master list" thread in the tournaments forum? List all the tournaments by date and/or club in one post.

Would be an easy way for everyone to plan their chess year, but also for chess clubs to advertise their calendars. in one easy spot.

Quote Originally Posted by JacekK View Post
    Wondering if it would be a good idea to have a 2017 tournament "master list" thread in the tournaments forum? List all the tournaments by date and/or club in one post.
    That's an interesting suggestion. I'll have a think about how workable it is and whether there is any chance I would have the time to maintain it. I think it would require one or more admins repeatedly editing the opening post to put the tournaments in order with links to them all. Possibly with a breakdown into weekend vs multi-week events?

FIDE World Champs Carlsen vs Karjakin, New York, 11-30 Nov 2016

The FIDE could be dropped from the thread title. This is the real lineal world championship that began with Steinitz. The so-called FIDE world champions are not recognized as real world champions by any serious player.

FIDE World Champs Carlsen vs Karjakin, New York, 11-30 Nov 2016

The FIDE could be dropped from the thread title. This is the real lineal world championship that began with Steinitz. The so-called FIDE world champions are not recognized as real world champions by any serious player.
    There is probably a serious player somewhere who recognises them but the consensus is that they don't count, though on this board, for instance, some people have argued that Topalov was a legitimate World Champion.

I started the thread and put "FIDE" in the title probably partly because that is the actual event name and partly out of force of habit of doing the same in the case of the Women's title, where the lineal tradition has fallen to bits and where the title is meaningless every time it is conducted as a knockout.

I'll think about how I want to label threads for lineal World Champs matches that are also FIDE World Champs matches in the future but I won't be imposing any view on this on other posters via editing of titles. On the other hand if a thread is started titled "Women's World Championships" and referring to a running of the FIDE title it will probably be edited to include the word "FIDE", until such time as the Women's cycle is uncontentiously accepted as credible (whether lineal or not).

Please change the year to 2017 in Oceania 2016 New Zealand Players.

Suggest renaming thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....738#post440738 to
    2018 Queensland Championships Sept 27 - Oct 1
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information