Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

Best British Comedy Series of all time

My favourites change often but currently it is: (BBC 2004/2005 big poll)

1 Allo Allo (bbc:13)
    2 Only fools & horses (bbc:1)
    3 Vicar of Dibley (bbc:3)
    4 Dad's Army (bbc:4)
    5 Goodnight sweetheart
    6 Are you being served (bbc 20)
    7 Porridge (bbc:7)
    8 Blackadder (bbc:2)
    9 One Foot in the Grave (bbc:10)
    10 George & Mildred
    11 Man about the House
    12 Yes Minister (bbc:6)
    13 Red Dwarf (bbc:18)
    14 Fawlty Towers (bbc:5)
    15 Open all Hours (bbc:8)
    16 The Good Life (bbc:9)
    17 Bless this house
    18 Brush Strokes
    19 Ever Decreasing Circles
    20 Darling buds of May
    21. Thin Blue Line
    22. Hancock

Some of these have great follow-ups: porridge/going straight, yes minister/yes prime minister. I have yet to see Grace and favour (aka are you being served again) or green green grass (follow-up to Only fools and horses).

I have purchased but not seen "After you've gone" starring legend Nicholas Lyndhurst

I also have all of the Carry-on films. I may get Black Books one day as many ppl have told me its good.

I have cd's of episodes of dad's army, vicar of dibley, only fools and horses. I also enjoy the scripts of: Porridge, Yes minister, yes PM, only fools and horses. I am about to get the scripts of dads army. I spend about 1 hour per day reading on the train.

There is a terrific extensive site: http://www.sitcom.co.uk/

CC Grandmaster
    Rowan Atkinson's tv series (e.g. Black A.) are my favorite
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

In the second series of New Tricks Alun Armstrong is lamenting the excellence of German engineering and asks, "Isn't there anything we do better than the Germans?" To which James Bolan's reply was, "Humour."

Interesting topic, Rob, and sure to get some argument. I loved a lot of your choices: Yes Minister/Prime Minister was so clever that I'm in awe of the writers; Porridge, Are you Being Served, George & Mildred were all tops.

But you missed a few of my favourites. Waiting for God, Surgical Spirit, Brush Strokes, Keeping Up Appearances and, although it's more a detective story than a comedy, New Tricks.

Of course, before TV we had radio and if you go back as far as the 60s and 70s the Brits produced a ton of great radio comedy including shows like The Navy Lark, Just a Minute, and best of all, My Word.
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

My favourites

My favourites are Yes (Prime) Minister, Keeping Up Appearances, and from the older series, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. The latter not just because of the correct use of apostrophes, buit also because Michael Cawford (also an excellent singer as Phantom watchers will know) did all his own stunts.

In YM I particularly like the interplay involving Bernard - especially with Hacker -and all the clever long lines that the "Basil Brush chap" Derek Fowlds gets.

Its now the ad break on UK TV for another Brit comedy I like - My Family - but it has to be the early series (with Nick) as they were the funniest. Poor long-suffering Mr Harper!
    Last edited by Adamski; 16-03-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    1 Allo Allo (bbc:13)
    2 Only fools & horses (bbc:1)
    3 Vicar of Dibley (bbc:3)
    4 Dad's Army (bbc:4)
    5 Goodnight sweetheart
    6 Are you being served (bbc 20)
    7 Porridge (bbc:7)
    8 Blackadder (bbc:2)
    9 One Foot in the Grave (bbc:10)
    10 George & Mildred
    11 Man about the House
    12 Yes Minister (bbc:6)
    13 Red Dwarf (bbc:18)
    14 Fawlty Towers (bbc:5)
    15 Open all Hours (bbc:8)
    16 The Good Life (bbc:9)
    17 Bless this house
    18 Brush Strokes
    19 Ever Decreasing Circles
    20 Darling buds of May
    21. Thin Blue Line
    22. Hancock
    What a mouth-watering array. The best? Insanely difficult, not to mention personal. Barry has introduced the concept of dating (age) elsewhere.

Yet, in a sea excellence without peer anywhere on the planet AFAIK, I have to plonk for Fawlty Towers.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master
    Spaced.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Father Ted - which qualifies having been originally broadcast by Channel 4. RTE wouldn't touch it with a barge pole until it was already a hit.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Father Ted was great
    Fawlty Towers
    Dad's Army
    The Young Ones
    Blackadder.

I also personally like Peter Kay, so Pheonix Night's, Max and Paddy, and especially his Stand Up routies
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

Quote Originally Posted by fireeater
    Father Ted was great
    It sure was. RIP Dermot Morgan

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

Axiom Top Ten - In Order

After much deliberation and soul searching, cross referencing all perceivable known paradigms of analysis here is the definitive list:-

1. The Office
    2. Fawlty Towers
    3. Help
    4. The Young Ones
    5. Monty Python's Flying Circus
    6. Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
    7. Human Remains
    8. Red Dwarf
    9. The Royle Family
    10. Dads Army
    Last edited by Axiom; 16-03-2008 at 08:51 PM.

One more slight language warning on this one...

One more for Gunner...

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Rowan Atkinson's tv series (e.g. Black A.) are my favorite
    If you like Rowan Atkinson, you may enjoy him in Thin Blue Line - set in a police station with an entertaining PC Goody (very camp, a bit like John Inman).

I thoroughly enjoyed Mr Bean's holiday at the cinema - I watched it with my dad (a first!) as my wife and mum were watching a girly flick.

When playing chess I sometimes think 'I have a cunning plan' in the voice of Baldrick, then I hear Blackadder questioning whether it is cunning enough...

If you can't laugh what can you do? (Blackadder)

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono2
    My favourites are Yes (Prime) Minister, Keeping Up Appearances, and from the older series, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. The latter not just because of the correct use of apostrophes, buit also because Michael Cawford (also an excellent singer as Phantom watchers will know) did all his own stunts.

In YM I particularly like the interplay involving Bernard - especially with Hacker -and all the clever long lines that the "Basil Brush chap" Derek Fowlds gets.
    Having worked for the Gov't in the UK and WA I think helps me appreciate some of the humour of Yes Minister/PM. It's a good job we don't have anyone pedantic like Bernard on this BB isn't it

Michael Crawford is obviously gifted as a singer, stuntman, and actor. I had the priviledge of seeing Phantom of the Opera in London. I'm not usually a 'musical' fan but I also enjoyed 'Chess' (of course) and 'Oliver': so ho cherio I'll be back soon...

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozy
    Interesting topic, Rob, and sure to get some argument. I loved a lot of your choices: Yes Minister/Prime Minister was so clever that I'm in awe of the writers; Porridge, Are you Being Served, George & Mildred were all tops.

But you missed a few of my favourites. Waiting for God, Surgical Spirit, Brush Strokes, Keeping Up Appearances and, although it's more a detective story than a comedy, New Tricks.

Of course, before TV we had radio and if you go back as far as the 60s and 70s the Brits produced a ton of great radio comedy including shows like The Navy Lark, Just a Minute, and best of all, My Word.
    Thanks Dozy. Sorry I miss afew of yours - I can't watch everything! I didn't actually miss Brush Strokes (number 18) starring the amiable Karl Howman with Gary Waldhorn (David Horton from the Vicar of Dibley). A much under-rated sitcom - did not feature in the bbc top 100

I was tempted to watch new tricks but a 'Bill' fan, I can't commit to any more cop shows.

I have heard the odd episodes of the Radio shows you mentioned plus: I'm sorry I'll read that again, the Glums (Ian Lavender, Patricia Brake, Jimmy Edwards), radio active. I would like to get hold of some of these.

Thread Information