Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

Internet Chess Coaching Specials

Despite my love for Melbourne CBD and its beautiful "chess venues" as well as lovely people visiting my house for lessons, Internet chess lessons appear to be easiest to manage as they can be delivered at otherwise inconvinient times such as 9 or 10 pm on weeknights etc. (or early afternoons on days that i do not teach uni classes).

As I enjoy them so much - here is my latest special. Instead of paying the RRP of $40/hour, the lessons are now available for $60 for 2 hours subject to a) being delivered in 2 hour blocks rather than 1+1 and b) STUDENTS DOING THEIR CHESS HOMEWORK

See you online
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

CC Candidate Master
    Hi, I'd like to know what rating you have, or experience you posess.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexrules01
    Hi, I'd like to know what rating you have, or experience you posess.
    My ACF is 2320 (number 14 on the Australian rating list) My fide rating is 2327.

I have been coaching for a number of years now and had a number of students improve their level of play dramatically. For more information, pls speak to me on msn (michael_baron@hotmail.com is my msn address) or email webbaron@gmail.com

Cheers

CC Rookie
    I don't know why somone would take a lesson from you at $30 per hour, when there are grandmaster coaches who charge only $25 per hour for internet coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziah
    I don't know why somone would take a lesson from you at $30 per hour, when there are grandmaster coaches who charge only $25 per hour for internet coaching.
    Ziah, Michael is free to charge what he likes. If he charges too much then he will have no customers.

Also, skill in a given field does not necessarily correlate to the ability to transfer the knowledge. If these GM's you speak of were really good, then they would probably have too many customers if they only charged $25-00 per hour.

Maybe you been taking lessons from some Nigerian 1800 player.

Cheers
    Garrett.

CC Grandmaster
    No problem. If you take coaching with such a gm and get good value..i am only happy for you.

Mind you some of these GMs are not very fluent in English as they come from certain countries. However, if you are fluent in Serbian or Russian - you can probably find some pretty good coaches at this price.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett

Cheers
    Garrett.
    Nigerian 1800-rated coaches is a sligh exxagiration but what chess players in certain countries do - they use 2600+ GM (e.g top Romanian, Polish or Serbian player) and his Interent handle to advertise for lessons so they can get more students + better rates.

In reality - 2650 rated players are not spending their time coaching lower-rated players. What they do instead - is delegate coaching to their chess friends. Mind you such arrangement is not nesessaraly disasterous for the students. As Polish and Romanian gms usually delegate their lessons to FMs and IMs rather than to complete patzers .

I do not want to list any names here but i know of at least 4 TOP 100 GMs who use their names as a "brand" and others do the coaching . Sometimes it leads to funny situations. Here is a story from one of my students: A certain polish GM is fluent en english so when my student (that was before he started working with me) met him at a big open tournament in the US...he was really impressed with the GM and his ability to communicate. But when he ordered internet lessons from that guy, to his great surprise - he discovered that whoever was coaching him could hardly speak english .

Another issue is: is there direct relationship between being a superstrong player and being a good coach? i feel that teaching ability (obviously accompanied by a resonable understanding of chess) is far more important. And what do others think about it? lets have a discussion . Would be great to her from Leonid, Carl, Bill Jordan and others on this server who are doing coaches as well as from those who were recieving chess lessons in the past. Could be an interesting thread

CC Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    Ziah, Michael is free to charge what he likes. If he charges too much then he will have no customers.

Also, skill in a given field does not necessarily correlate to the ability to transfer the knowledge. If these GM's you speak of were really good, then they would probably have too many customers if they only charged $25-00 per hour.

Cheers
    Garrett.
    Actually $25-35 per hour is the usual rate GM's and Im's charge of the internet chess club which is where many titled players coach. And they have to prove their identity to be an ICC vendor.

CC International Master
    Michael, let us have a little competition (I am happy for any other coach to participate in it).

We each pick up one student with an ACF rating >1000 (ratings below are completely meaningless) and decide on a time frame, I suggest a year. Then we look at the change in ACF ratings say from March 2008 till March 2009.
    What do you reckon?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by drug
    Michael, let us have a little competition (I am happy for any other coach to participate in it).

We each pick up one student with an ACF rating >1000 (ratings below are completely meaningless) and decide on a time frame, I suggest a year. Then we look at the change in ACF ratings say from March 2008 till March 2009.
    What do you reckon?
    Drug, I will pick your son as he is going to improve by 500 points in the near future for sure. And who is your pick .

Just wonder how many more childish competition offers you have in mind

Hi Ziah

A few of observations on your post.

1) You haven't taken into account the quality of the teaching in your observation. The best footballer in the world might not be the best coach. The second best footballer in the world (or perhaps even a patzer with the gift of teaching) may be the best teacher in the world.

2) Did you consider that the GM may be under-charging? If you did, and he/ she is (under-charging) does that mean that all other coaches should under-charge?

3) Are you aware that some people under-charge, because they aren't making sales or retaining repeat business?

4) Are you aware that some people under-charge, because they are unaware of the market price?

5) Are you aware that some people charge different prices because of geographical and logistical criteria that aren't apparent merely from a price list?

6) Are you aware that some people who under-charge, are moments away from increasing their prices?

7) Have you ever paid any amount of money for anything while knowing that a similar product is available cheaper elsewhere?

Is anyone in your family in business?
    Last edited by Basil; 15-03-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Hi Ziah

A few of observations on your post.

1) You haven't taken into account the quality of the teaching in your observation. The best footballer in the world might not be the best coach. The second best footballer in the world (or perhaps even a patzer with the gift of teaching) may be the best teacher in the world.

2) Did you consider that the GM may be under-charging? If you did, and he/ she is (under-charging) does that mean that all other coaches should under-charge? Is anyone in your family in business? Perhaps a fruit shop?

3) Are you aware that some people under-charge, because they aren't making sales or retaining repeat business?

4) Are you aware that some people under-charge, because they are unaware of the market price?

5) Are you aware that some people charge different prices because of geographical and logistical criteria that aren't apparent merely from a price list?

6) Are you aware that some people who under-charge, are moments away from increasing their prices?

7) Have you ever paid any amount of money for anything while knowing that a similar product is available cheaper elsewhere?
    Actually the best footballers are the worst coaches as they are naturally talented with excessive skills. The standard first grader are better as they have had to do things that they are not naturally talented to.

Actually $25-35 per hour is the usual rate GM's and Im's charge of the internet chess club which is where many titled players coach. And they have to prove their identity to be an ICC vendor.
    I'd also note that internet training is arguably not as productive per hour as face to face instruction. It's all good. I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that life isn't as clear cut as one gets older. BTW, when was the last time you paid for a tank of petrol? It's like 5,000 years worth of bubble gum
    Last edited by Basil; 14-03-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    I'd also note that internet training is arguably not as productive per hour as face to face instruction. It's all good. I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that life isn't as clear cut as one gets older. BTW, when was the last time you paid for a tank of petrol? It's like 5,000 years worth of bubble gum
    A tank of petrol is only worth 5000 years of bubble gum if you're a Pom though. Poms don't like bubble gum 'cos they have to shut up while they chew it.

Actually the best footballers are the worst coaches as they are naturally talented with excessive skills.
    Not so.Leigh Matthews was both champion player and champion coach.
    Kevin Sheedy was "near"champion player and champion coach.Malcolm Blight was champion player and champion coach.

What does it mean to have excessive skills?

Thread Information