Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 486
  1. #31
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    What is exactly your concern? Thee are four possible outcomes:
    1. You think you are not lefty, but according to questionnaire you are
    2. You think you are lefty, and questionnaire agrees with you.
    3. You think you are lefty, but according to questionnaire you are not.
    4. You think you are not lefty, and questionnaire agrees with you.
    A person going through the questions might be unhappy in case of any outcome. However, to address the grievance it is important to know which particular outcome the person in question is unhappy with.

    Would you be so kind to inform the forum what was your outcome?
    *snigger* Another contender for Classic Posts but sadly ineligible due to its political topicality <Duggan's self-imposed rule>

    Have $10 HCDs instead!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  2. #32
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,509
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Out of a list of more than a hundred, that's not very many.

    A better title for the list would be:
    "You fit Jono's cardboard cutout stereotype of a lefty if..."
    More likely, what a lot of the More-On Move-On crowd actually believe, and they have a mutual love-in with B. Hussein Obama. A list like this shows that there is no need to satirize Lefties, because they do such a good job by themselves
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 26-02-2008 at 10:59 AM.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  3. #33
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,509
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Well I'd say at least 95% of the list does not apply to me. And some of those that do apply apply only on a tecnicality. e.g The writings of Karl Marx are set in stone because, well, he's dead.
    So is the US Constitution since its writers are dead, and they gave clear instructions on how it could be amended. Nothing was said about activist judges inventing new "rights" from "emanations" upon a "penumbra" while contradicting the actual text.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  4. #34
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    What is exactly your concern? Thee are four possible outcomes:
    1. You think you are not lefty, but according to questionnaire you are
    2. You think you are lefty, and questionnaire agrees with you.
    3. You think you are lefty, but according to questionnaire you are not.
    4. You think you are not lefty, and questionnaire agrees with you.
    I think the terms "left" and "right" are too broad to be particularly useful. Oddly enough, Jono agreed with this sentiment in a different thread - yet he is still happy to dish out "lefty" as his favourite term of derision.

    I am probably more left than right, if one must use those terms. But it depends on the issue. Jono paints me as a foaming at the mouth Stalin loving socialist, but that's his problem not mine.

    So how do I decide if the questionnaire agrees with me? Am I a lefty if I answer yes to one question? All of them? How many yesses makes me a lefty?
    What is your answer to this:
    "# You don't see the parallel between yourself, Adolph Hitler, Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao."
    Do I take it from this one that only righties see parallels between themselves, Stalin, Hitler and Mao?

    The answer to a vast majority of the points would be "no", the answer to many of the rest would be either "who?" or "I couldn't care less". The answer to a very few would be yes or half-yes, but probably not in the way the author(s) intended.

    On the whole I think it says more about the right-wing stereotypes of the left than it does about the left.
    Last edited by pax; 26-02-2008 at 12:50 PM.

  5. #35
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,509
    It's still notable that many in Leftacademe and the Leftmedia had a love affair with the Soviet Union, including the New York Times' Walter Duranty gushing over Stalin and whitewashing his atrocities. Now it's less fashionable to praise the USSR, but they just adulate Castro and now Chavez instead.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

  6. #36
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    It's still notable that many in Leftacademe and the Leftmedia had a love affair with the Soviet Union, including the New York Times' Walter Duranty gushing over Stalin and whitewashing his atrocities.
    Duranty was one man (who, incidentally died in 1957). He was probably in the pay of the Soviets. His work is hardly representative of any wider group in the media, either then or now.

  7. #37
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Duranty was one man (who, incidentally died in 1957). He was probably in the pay of the Soviets. His work is hardly representative of any wider group in the media, either then or now.
    Why did he get a Pulitzer prize then? (for exactly his praising of Stalin's USSR)
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

  8. #38
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I think the terms "left" and "right" are too broad to be particularly useful. Oddly enough, Jono agreed with this sentiment in a different thread - yet he is still happy to dish out "lefty" as his favourite term of derision.

    I am probably more left than right, if one must use those terms. But it depends on the issue. Jono paints me as a foaming at the mouth Stalin loving socialist, but that's his problem not mine.

    So how do I decide if the questionnaire agrees with me? Am I a lefty if I answer yes to one question? All of them? How many yesses makes me a lefty?
    What is your answer to this:
    "# You don't see the parallel between yourself, Adolph Hitler, Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao."
    Do I take it from this one that only righties see parallels between themselves, Stalin, Hitler and Mao?

    The answer to a vast majority of the points would be "no", the answer to many of the rest would be either "who?" or "I couldn't care less". The answer to a very few would be yes or half-yes, but probably not in the way the author(s) intended.

    On the whole I think it says more about the right-wing stereotypes of the left than it does about the left.
    The lengthy response to the question managed to avoid answering the question
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

  9. #39
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    The lengthy response to the question managed to avoid answering the question
    You need to define your question better. How do I decide if the list is describing me as a lefty or not?

  10. #40
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    You need to define your question better. How do I decide if the list is describing me as a lefty or not?
    Which one of the four possibilities apply to you?
    I am not saying the questionnaire is accurate or descriptive.
    My questions are:
    Do you consider yourself a lefty? (in your understanding of the word)
    How many questions did you answer yes?
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

  11. #41
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Why did he get a Pulitzer prize then? (for exactly his praising of Stalin's USSR)
    He received the prize in 1932, well before it became known what atrocities he may have witnessed and whitewashed. Also before the extent of Stalin's crimes were known.

  12. #42
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    How many questions did you answer yes?
    Very few. But that is a different question than what you asked above. How many yesses does it take to brand me a lefty?

  13. #43
    CC Grandmaster Garrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    the City
    Posts
    3,172
    I thought some of the list was funny.

    Thanks for posing it.

    Cheers
    Garrett

  14. #44
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,237
    Jon (pax). It's OK mate. Really. We're all good here.

    Just do a Google on "You Know You're A When You're A" and similar pages will come up like a fruit machine. But you know this already.

    There's even one for mac lovers - not all savoury - but it's the irony, the suggestion and in some cases accuracy that makes it funny.

    And so with the lefty. Relax. Kick out. Lefties are objects of amusement to us. There is an element of truth in what is being said here. Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrn. You're old enough and have enough sense of self to know that. Go on. It's OK.

    If it helps you in the mood we can do a

    You know you're a kiwi/ pom when ...
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  15. #45
    CC Grandmaster Capablanca-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Posts
    19,509
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    He received the prize in 1932, well before it became known what atrocities he may have witnessed and whitewashed. Also before the extent of Stalin's crimes were known.
    Rubbish. Malcolm Muggeridge was there as a journalist at the same time, and he blew the whistle, but was not listened to. Duranty lied through his teeth. Yet the NYT still proudly displays his Pulitzer. I am still old enough to remember how the Soviet economy was praised in many media circles, and the USSR was 'here to stay'. Jimmy Carter media darling for ridiculing "the inordinate fear of Communism." The same media also ridiculed Reagan for calling the USSR an 'evil empire' and saying:

    I believe that communism is another sad, bizarre chapter in human history whose last pages even now are being written.

    A bit before my time, the Left forced the US to pull out of Vietnam, over the protests of conservatives who predicted a huge bloodbath. There are tragic photos of South Vietnamese desperately clinging onto American helicopters. The bloodbath sure enough happened, as well as communist 're-education' camps. But even now, people like Hanoi Jane Fonda pay no penalty for laughing while sitting on heavy guns of the Vietnamese Communist troops.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Johnny's Going Down
    By Basil in forum Politics
    Replies: 686
    Last Post: 04-03-2016, 03:03 AM
  2. Are you sorry?
    By arosar in forum Politics
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 26-02-2008, 12:56 AM
  3. Replies: 101
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •