Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    I am not sure where such tenor is imbued into the text ("You know you are a lefty if ...").
    This is a common formulation.

It also seems rather odd to me that this tenor should destroy the literal meaning so easily (reversing a conditional no less).
    It's good practice that if there is a logical and an illogical way of reading something, assume the logical way.

Also your formulation "if you are a lefty, then such and such" means that if you answer no to any, you are not a lefty. It also means that yes to all doesn't entail that you are a lefty.
    There are grades of leftiness.

Also since the purpose is to figure out if people are leftys, it seems to me that my formulation makes more sense "if such and such, you are a lefty". And then perhaps just make it that the such and such has to be a conjunction of yes answers.
    Yeah, this is a list of lefty characteristics.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    So if an eminent left-wing psychiatrist concluded devout Christians were clinically nuts (and I suspect at least one such would have already done so) would you be approvingly posting it here?

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    It's good practice that if there is a logical and an illogical way of reading something, assume the logical way.
    I read it the sensible way, and I argued that it was the sensible way.
    There are grades of leftiness.
    How is this at all relevant to my comment? I just pointed out on your formulation A) Any no answer means you are not a lefty and B) Yes to all does not entail that you are a lefty.

Jono, I see the humour. I see the double-standards. You may recall I highlighted some of them in the lead up to the recent election.

Might I suggest you:
    -- Leave your original list (very good)
    -- Accept that the contents gives some of these clowns unbiased commentators pause for thought
    -- Do not engage when they run the penny around the plate on the listings which are more humuorous than factual (that's when you know you've hit a raw nerve), especially when
    -- Offerings like this one:
    You think that protestors outside nuclear power plants are dedicated activists, but protestors outside abortion clinics are dangerous zealots interfering with a legal activity...
    or
    You marched against American involvement in Vietnam, thought the Gulf war was unnecessary but believe 25,000 U.S. troops in Bosnia are vital to our national interests.

(just chosing two off the top) nail their double-standard bits to the fence.
    Last edited by Basil; 26-02-2008 at 12:52 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    So if an eminent left-wing psychiatrist concluded devout Christians were clinically nuts (and I suspect at least one such would have already done so) would you be approvingly posting it here?
    No, because it would be redundant, in that the Leftmedia would run with it, as they have with two-bit atheopaths like Dawko calling Christianity a mind virus, or a Washington Post reporter call them "poor, uneducated and easily led".
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

CC Grandmaster
    Sounds like Dr Rossiter has a few sheep loose in the top paddock himself..

CC Grandmaster
    Yeah, this is a list of lefty characteristics.
    Don't you think it's ironic that you post a list of "lefty" characteristics, the majority of which actually don't apply to most of the people you call "lefties"?

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Don't you think it's ironic that you post a list of "lefty" characteristics, the majority of which actually don't apply to most of the people you call "lefties"?
    This is what I was referring to in my post above.

They (the characteristics/ double standards) don't all have to apply. Speaking for myself, nothing on the list (that I can recall - it was a speed read) applied to me.

Can you not see the the irony that the lefties here are owning up to a good smattering of the list but because each and every one on a considerable list doesn't apply, they (you / lefties) claim the list is somehow faulty

It's an excellent list - and you lot fail to see the humour or you're upset because it's so damn accurate.
    Last edited by Basil; 26-02-2008 at 01:48 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    It's an excellent list - and you lot fail to see the humour or you're upset because it's so damn accurate.
    Well I'd say at least 95% of the list does not apply to me. And some of those that do apply apply only on a tecnicality. e.g The writings of Karl Marx are set in stone because, well, he's dead.

CC Grandmaster
    Can you not see the the irony that the lefties here are owning up to a good smattering of the list
    Sorry, who has owned up to *any* of it?

CC Grandmaster
    You marched against American involvement in Vietnam, thought the Gulf war was unnecessary but believe 25,000 U.S. troops in Bosnia are vital to our national interests.
    What about those who believe that American involvement in Vietnam and the Gulf war was necessary, but object to U.S. troops in Bosnia (and Kosovo war)?
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Sorry, who has owned up to *any* of it?
    Ummm ... of the two known lefties that have responded ... 100% of respondents. Deeerrrr. Yer up to your necks in it! KB "with 9 from the list" and you with "5%" as mentioned in your post immediately prior to the question of who?

Just like to to clarify that as far as I'm concerned, it's all good. I mean no malice with any of this and I'm sure much fun could be had with the righty side - although I seriously doubt the double standards which are so optly illustrated here would be at play.

I think righties expose themselves to suggestions of callousness (which we of course defend), whereas lefties are constantly being exposed to double standards (which I'm not so sure they defend (they're indefensible) I think they intellectually 'justify' them).
    Last edited by Basil; 26-02-2008 at 10:09 AM.

CC Grandmaster
    Ummm ... of the two known lefties that have responded ... 100% of respondents. Deeerrrr. Yer up to your necks in it! KB "with 9 from the list" and you with "5%" as mentioned in your post immediately prior to the question of who?
    Out of a list of more than a hundred, that's not very many.

A better title for the list would be:
    "You fit Jono's cardboard cutout stereotype of a lefty if..."

My stereotype too! I appreciate you don't see a funny (and ironic) side. Perhaps I wouldn't either if the roles were reversed.

CC Grandmaster
    Out of a list of more than a hundred, that's not very many.

A better title for the list would be:
    "You fit Jono's cardboard cutout stereotype of a lefty if..."
    What is exactly your concern? Thee are four possible outcomes:
    1. You think you are not lefty, but according to questionnaire you are
    2. You think you are lefty, and questionnaire agrees with you.
    3. You think you are lefty, but according to questionnaire you are not.
    4. You think you are not lefty, and questionnaire agrees with you.
    A person going through the questions might be unhappy in case of any outcome. However, to address the grievance it is important to know which particular outcome the person in question is unhappy with.

Would you be so kind to inform the forum what was your outcome?
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Thread Information