Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    CC Rookie

Exclamation AusJCL International Junior and JETS Selection Applications

Applications are now open for the various junior international tournaments.

The website is www.australianjuniorchess.org.au

Tournaments for which you can apply are

World Youth Age Championships (U8-U18)
    Asean Age Championships (U8-18)
    Asian Youth Age Championships (U8-U18)
    World Junior Championships (U20)
    Asian Junior Championship (U20)
    All of these have both an open and a girls division.
    and the World U16 Olympiad which is an open teams tournament

The dates for these event are

June 12-21
    ASEAN Age Group Championships (Note: Australian players are usually allowed to compete in ASEAN Championships)
    Subic Bay, the Philippines

August 2-16 2008
    World Junior (U/20)
    Ankara, Turkey

August 15-24
    World Youth Olympiad (U/16)
    Ankara, Turkey

October 19-31
    World Youth Championships (U/8-U/18)
    Vung Tau, Vietnam

The dates for the Asian Youth and and Asian Juniors have not been released, and the Asean tournament dates have yet to be confirmed by FIDE however if you are interested in going to either of these tournaments, you must apply now (acceptance of these selections will be deferred until after the dates are announced)

The Asean tournament is a new tournament for Australia to enter, and the exact regulations and age divisions are still to be announced. In 2007 there were age catagories, but unlike World Youths, there is no free accomodation for the first selected player. This may change for 2008. In order to play in this tournament you MUST apply for it and be selected.

There are a few other tournaments held during the year to which Australia is allowed to send players. These are

April 26-May 5
    World Schools Individual Championships
    Singapore

July 9-17 2008
    World Schools Championship,
    Pardubice, Czech Republic

September 1-7
    ASEAN Youth U/9, U/12 and U/15 Youth Teams Championships
    Venue as yet unknown.

If you are interested in playing any of these please let me know.

Selections will close on the 9 March 2008.

Email me if you have any queries/problems with the site. If you wish to see the selection procedure by-law please go to http://www.auschess.org.au/constitut...res_By-law.txt, or request a copy from me.

Shannon Oliver

Junior Selection Coordinator

shan_o_86@hotmail.com

useful info

I received the following by David Flude:

Hi Elliott

Following are details of International junior events. I am trying to maximise coverage of this information supplied by Jenni Oliver. (For those who do not know Jenni she lives in Canberra and is a tireless worker for junior chess). I am therefore sending it to everybody on the Chess Victoria and Box Hill Chess Club distribution lists. I appreciate that some of you are going to receive this twice and that for others this may not be relevant

David Flude

Applications are now open for the various international tournaments.

The website is www.australianjuniorchess.org.au

AS IN PREVIOUS ARTICLE...

Pros and Cons of attending an overseas event. (Jenni writing this. J)

Many years ago only one person could represent Australia in each event and the strongest junior in each age category was selected. In 1998 this changed and multiple juniors could attend. However the ACF still has to endorse participants as being of the correct standard. While the focus has been on attending the World Youth, there are many others available such as the Olympiad event and Asian events, for juniors looking for international experience.

The World Youth can be very confronting for a junior and some have said to me that they have preferred team events, such as the U16 Olympiad as being less stressful and more fun. You get more support from the other members of your team. It is also a much smaller event and tends to be easier to make friends with juniors from other countries.

PROS

Mixing with a large number of juniors all whom love chess.

Enables Juniors and parents to experience a rich chess culture that is often lacking in Australia

Every game tends to be hard and there is preparation and analysis to go with it, creating an intense learning experience

The thrill of representing your country

CONS

Expense – this is probably the big one. The money spent going overseas could pay for a lot of top level coaching in Australia and traveling to strong adult tournaments such as Doeberl and SIO.

Stress – every tournament has a level of stress and a child can put unrealistic expectations on themselves (and so can the parent). If a child is comparing their performance with that of stronger team members, this can have a negative outcome.

Brett Tindall has some very informative topics at his business website

http://www.sydneyacademyofchess.com....p?showforum=31

In particular “is my child strong enough to take part in an overseas event” is worth reading before applying.

The other thing to bear in mind, is that this is not a holiday. You might find yourself paying quite large amounts for accommodation and then being housed in a school dormitory or a 2 star hotel. The organizers sometimes find themselves underestimating numbers and last minute accommodation can be very bad. Australia is usually well organised and books early to guarantee the best accommodation possible, but we are not a high profile chess country and there can sometimes be problems which have to be accepted.

On the positive side children usually have a wonderful time and find it a very exciting experience.

The other thing to remember is that the ACF has no role in organizing these events. It will be up to one or more of the parents going to step forward and apply to be the team manager/management committee. There is a lot of advice available from past managers, so it is not as intimidating as it sounds.

So please start thinking now if you are prepared to help. A lack of volunteers for this valuable position, will result in a less satisfactory experience for all.
    Last edited by ER; 12-02-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    which dad is your mum?

Zero trollerance!

ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Rookie
    Hi all

just a reminder that applications for international junior events close on the 9th. Please check the website to see that your name is listed. If it isn't, email me and let me know

Shannon Oliver

Junior Selections coordinator

shan_o_86@hotmail.com

CC Rookie
    These are the selections for the 2008 International Junior Events. The players are listed in order of selection, the * indicates that this player is the primary selected player in that category.

ASEAN YOUTH
    BU8
    Anton Smirnov*
    Jamie-Lee Guo

BU10

Sannidhanam,Anurag*
    Koh,Cedric

BU12
    Lau,Joshua*

Tan,Justin

BU14
    Tan,Justin*

Bishop,Joshua
    Soo-Burrowes,Eliot

BU16
    Tan,Justin*

BU18
    Tan,Justin*

GU8
    Christian,Kashish*

GU12
    Simmonds,Leteisha*

Mithran,Mirakla
    Koh,Clarise
    Byrne,Alannah

GU14
    yu,sally*

Guo,Emma

GU16
    yu,sally*

GU18
    yu,sally*

ASIAN YOUTH/JUNIORS
    BU8
    Smirnov,Anton*

Wallmueller,Peter
    Guo,Jamie-Lee

BU10
    Sannidhanam,Anurag*

Koh,Cedric

BU12
    Matheson,Laurence*

Lau,Joshua
    Tan,Justin

BU14
    Tan,Justin*

Bishop,Joshua
    Soo-Burrowes,Eliot

BU16
    Tan,Justin*

BU18
    Lazarus,Ben*

BU20
    Oliver,Gareth*

Lazarus,Ben
    Suttor,Vincent

GU8
    Christian,Kashish*

GU12
    Simmonds,Leteisha*

Mithran,Mirakla
    Koh,Clarise
    Byrne,Alannah

GU14
    yu,sally*

Guo,Emma

GU16
    yu,sally*

GU18
    yu,sally*

GU20
    yu,sally*

Guo,Emma
    Anton,Sarah

WORLD YOUTH/JUNIORS

BU8
    Smirnov,Anton*

Wallmueller,Peter

BU10
    Sannidhanam,Anurag*

Ruan,Harry
    Koh,Cedric
    Mason,Stuart
    Derwent,Ethan

BU12
    Matheson,Laurence*

Liu,Yi
    Lau,Joshua
    Tan,Justin
    Ruan,Jack
    Ng,Isaac

BU14
    Nakauchi,Gene*

Morris,James
    Schon,Eugene
    Tan,Justin
    Feng,Thomas

BU16
    Morris,James*

Brown,Andrew
    Schon,Eugene
    Grigg,Samuel
    Muller,Jonas
    Setiabudi,Allen
    Tan,Justin

BU18
    Schon,Eugene*

Grigg,Samuel
    Muller,Jonas
    Setiabudi,Allen
    Tan,Justin

BU20
    Oliver,Gareth*

Suttor,Vincent

GU8
    Christian,Kashish*

GU12
    Setiabudi,Megan*

Simmonds,Leteisha
    Mithran,Mirakla
    Kanagarajah,Abbie
    Koh,Clarise
    Byrne,Alannah
    Mason,Joanne

GU14
    yu,sally*

Guo,Emma
    Setiabudi,Megan
    Kinder,Danielle

GU16
    yu,sally*

GU18
    yu,sally*

GU20
    Jule,Alexandra*

Anton,Sarah

WORLD YOUTH OLYMPIAD (players not listed in any particular order)
    Feng,Thomas

Ng,Isaac
    Simmonds,Leteisha
    Soo-Burrowes,Eliot
    Tan,Justin

All players have the right to appeal

9. Appeals

9.1 An applicant may appeal the results of a selection within 7 days after having been informed,

pursuant to clause 8, of the results of the selection.

9.2 Appeals shall given to the Selections Director and shall be accompanied by a $200 appeal fee

which shall be refunded if the appeal is upheld.

9.3 Appeals shall be on the basis that either:

9.3.1 There was a material error or omission in the selection process that has disadvantaged the

applicant.

9.3.1.1. Paragraph 9.3.1 does not apply to an alleged material error or omission relating to the

eligibility of an applicant for selection, other than the eligibility requirement in paragraph 4.3.1.

9.3.2 That the applicant was clearly ranked such that no selectors could have reasonably given the

applicant that ranking based on the information supplied to the selectors.

Note: It is not sufficient to appeal on the basis that a player thinks that he/she should have been

selected. The ranking of the selectors has to be clearly incorrect and unreasonable.

9.4 On receipt of an appeal all players involved in the selection which is subject to the appeal shall be

advised that the appeal has been lodged.

9.5 Each player against whose selection an appeal has been lodged shall be given a copy of the appeal

and an opportunity to state in writing, within 7 days after having been given the appeal, his or her

case with respect to the appeal.

10 Appeals Tribunal

10.1 The Council shall appoint a person known as the ACF Appeals Tribunal Convenor (ATC) who shall

be an ACF Honorary Life Member, a former ACF President or an eminent person with appropriate

knowledge of chess and of the issues involved in the appeal.

10.2 The ATC shall appoint two other persons, each being either an ACF Honorary Life Member, a

former ACF President or Deputy President or an eminent person as described in clause 10.1 to form a

three person tribunal with the ATC. (available from http://www.auschess.org.au/constitut...Feb%202008.pdf online)

Appeals will close on Monday 21 April 2008

PLAYERS SELECTED FOR WORLD YOUTH AND JUNIOR EVENT!!

If you have a * next to your name, let me know by Monday 28 April 2008 whether or not you are accepting your selection (sooner is better, as I can then pass the selection down to the next person on the list)

If you do NOT have a * next to your name, let me know by Monday 5 May whether or not you will be going regardless of whether or not you have the primary selection.

ALL OTHER PLAYERS

I will be giving you the email addresses of all people wishing to attend the events you are playing, as well as sending you the information (when it is put up by FIDE) and you can organise it amongst yourself - if there is free food/accom for a player in an age group, then it is the individual with the * next to their name who will get it. You may contact me for advice if needed.

EVERYONE!!!

Check your email daily, as I will be emailing you if there are any appeals regarding your selection, or if you are a person without a * and you become someone with a * (due to the fact the person(s) above you turned down their selection) to let you know this has happened.

PLEASE NOTE

U8-U18 divisions are held AT THE SAME TIME therefore you CANNOT player in multiple divisions in the one tournament. If you have a * next to your name in more then one division of the World Youths, let me know which of these divisions you wish to play in.

Regards

Shannon Oliver

Junior Selections Coordinator
    shan_o_86@hotmail.com

CC Rookie
    Applications are now open for the various international tournaments.

The website is http://www.australianjuniorchess.org.au/

World Youth Age Championships (U8-U18)
    Asean Youth Championships (U8-18)
    Asian Youth Age Championships (U8-U18)
    World Junior Championships (U20)
    Asian Junior Championship (U20)

Commonwealth Championships (U8-U20)
    All of these have both an open and a girls division.
    and the World U16 Olympiad which is an open teams tournament

The dates for these event are
    June 10-19
    ASEAN Age Group Championships (Note: Australian players are usually allowed to compete in ASEAN Championships)
    Vietnam

October 16-29

World Junior (U/20)

Argentina

TBA

World Youth Olympiad (U/16)

Turkey

November 11-23

World Youth Championships (U/8-U/18)

Turkey

May 20-28

Asian Junior Championships (U20)

Sri Lanka

July 19-27

Commonwealth Championships (U8-U20)

Malaysia

The dates for the Asian Youth and and Youth Olympiad have not been released, however if you are interested in going to either of these tournaments, you must apply now (acceptance of these selections will be deferred until after the dates are announced)

Selections will close on the 22 March 2009

Email me if you have any queries/problems with the site. If you wish to see the selection procedure by-law please go to http://www.auschess.org.au/constitut...res_By-law.txt, or request a copy from me.

Shannon Oliver (shan_o_86@hotmail.com)

Junior Selections Coordinator

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan86
    Hi Shan, I tried to register my son and got the following error:

Warning: require(class.phpmailer.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\wamp\www\mail.inc on line 2
    Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'class.phpmailer.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in D:\wamp\www\mail.inc on line 2

Regards,
    Joerg

I had no trouble finding the web site and registration form via the link though I didn't try to register anyone.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

In Arsène we Trust!

CC Rookie
    Site has now been fixed and is ready to go, so for anyone who has had similar problems, should be all sorted.

Also if you are having trouble displaying the screen, make sure you are using internet explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Shan86
    Site has now been fixed and is ready to go, so for anyone who has had similar problems, should be all sorted.

Also if you are having trouble displaying the screen, make sure you are using internet explorer
    Unless, like the enlightened, you are using a Mac with OSX 10.5.

That is, as I understand it, that OS doesn't support IE and vice versa.

I have tested Safari b4, Firefox, Opera, iCab and OmniWeb on my iMac. Of those, only Firefox and Opera diplay the entry form page properly - the others truncate the little events boxes.

DJ
    Last edited by Denis_Jessop; 01-03-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

In Arsène we Trust!

CC Candidate Master
    any news on selections?

would like to start organising asap

I know the feeling - but might want to try that it a different thread - this is 2008 after all.
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall
    2017 AusJCL Selections Coordinator
    ACT Junior Chess League President

alanachibnall@hotmail.com

CC Candidate Master
    yes but it seems this is also the 2009 thread, as you can see there are a few posts referring to this year, i think it was supposed to be finalised over a week ago, i dont see what the hold up is, the malaysia tournament isnt far away

thats true. Have you tried sending Shannon an email?
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

CC Candidate Master
    called her a week ago, they hadnt finalised anything, maybe you can email her since i already called her, sweet thanks

emailed her - she said she only recently got the selections from ACF - has now sent them off to AusJCL for finalising
    IA/WFM Alana Chibnall

Thread Information