Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    So many timeouts, this tournament has really been a waste of time. Next time I'll just play a match with Sunshine.
    meep meep

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    So many timeouts, this tournament has really been a waste of time. Next time I'll just play a match with Sunshine.
    That's a hard-fought match.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    High chance of this rule for next tournament.

Players who time out 50% of their games without notice before hand will be withdrawn from the competition and their acceptance into the next tournament will not be accepted without a damn good explanation.
    Seems fair enough.

These games are not sustainable when the average moves by each player is not around 5 per week.

I've been thankful for the timeouts because otherwise the games were going to drag on.

I only decided to play when I saw Boris and Axiom were in because they are very challenging to play and you know the games will flow.

Boris seems to have my measure once again - but I intend to make him earn the tournament win despite the surrounding circumstances.

I'm currently travelling and getting access is not always convenient - but I still think a draw is possible in both games.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 31-03-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Atlanta, GA (formerly Brisbane, and before that Wellington, NZ)
    A four-player tourney with KB, GG, Boris and Sunshine could work well.
    “The destructive capacity of the individual, however vicious, is small; of the state, however well-intentioned, almost limitless. Expand the state and that destructive capacity necessarily expands, too, pari passu.”—Paul Johnson, Modern Times, 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    These games are not sustainable when the average moves by each player is not around 5 per week.
    I have also been thinking of shortening the time control to 5 days per move.

While at first glance this would seem to increase the chances of time outs, those that have been finishing their games in past tournaments have been moving at rates much faster than 5 days per move.

Also, there is the option of contacting me before hand if someone knows they are going to have difficulties for a short period of time.

Those that have timed out many games would not have made any time control at all.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I would certainly struggle with 5 days instead of 7 in the freestyle tournaments - though for some moves freestyle can be actually more time-consuming than normal correspondence. Even when I'm not especially busy or away, some moves are very time-consuming, especially if I investigate a given move on and off for a few days and then have to reject it.

If the players are taking a week for every move the games will drag on forever and I've noticed in some events that some players seem to do this.

5 days! 5 days!!! Come ON, Kevin. 5 days a move. Sheez!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    5 days! 5 days!!! Come ON, Kevin. 5 days a move. Sheez!
    The problem gunner is that your playing 12 games at once plus workingh plus other activities plus prep for real games. Maybe single round robin would be better. I would struggle with anything more than 4 games a week.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    The problem gunner is that your playing 12 games at once plus workingh plus other activities plus prep for real games. Maybe single round robin would be better. I would struggle with anything more than 4 games a week.
    That may be a problem. But the solution is not to be found in the speed of the moves.
    Last edited by Basil; 31-03-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronD
    Single round robin would need to have odd number players to ensure that players receive same number of white/blacks.

Also being single round robin, the seeding of players becomes important. This could then encourage players to be selective about when they enter (if at all).

CC International Master

While at first glance this would seem to increase the chances of time outs, those that have been finishing their games in past tournaments have been moving at rates much faster than 5 days per move.
    On average I probably moved quicker than 5 days per move, but I used the 7 in some cases. (And not just when I was using the 7 days to not have to really play at all during essay time.)

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

Commit

I would advocate a 3 day rule on a 3 strike basis with a 5 or 7 day transgression resulting in forfeit.

(Maybe variable time limit tournaments ?...just kidding )

Hey Boris and Sunshine,

Are you two enjoying your two game match? now I think about it, same number of players finishing the tournament as the current freestyle match

Well I hope Boris is enjoying the match.

My position is both games are pretty miserable and there is not a lot of fun in hanging around hoping for a draw while trying to forget about about the moves that got you into this situation.

Thread Information