Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    What do the participants think regarding offering multiple conditional moves? ie I have played (insert any move here), if you reply with any of these 14 moves, then I will play (insert any move here).
    Do you mean the second move is the same regardless? For example I have played 1.e4 and if e6,d6,a6,b6 I will play 2.d4

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    Do you mean the second move is the same regardless? For example I have played 1.e4 and if e6,d6,a6,b6 I will play 2.d4
    More like=

I have played 1. e4.

If 1... e5 then I play 2. Nf3
    If 1... c6 then I play 2. d4
    If 1... d5 then I play exd5

and so forth.

Part of the reason for asking is that allowing mass conditionals and variations can not only be messy, but I can see how it can lead to disagreements and arguments over how the moves were proposed and what exactly was meant.

On iccf, at least players are actually inputting moves physically, which reduces some of the potential arguments. On here, players have to write out their moves in text form.

CC International Master
    Part of the reason for asking is that allowing mass conditionals and variations can not only be messy, but I can see how it can lead to disagreements and arguments over how the moves were proposed and what exactly was meant.
    Indeed the already not low chance of transcription errors increases. I would favour not having them, since I don't think the benefit is that much anyway. This is as we are on the internet, so they probably won't speed things up much (in comparison to postal chess).

Note though, I'm not gonna play in any tournament this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    Note though, I'm not gonna play in any tournament this year.
    Thought this was likely

Still, answering your questions allows others to read the answers so they don't have to ask themselves

If my opponents want to reveal all their plans to me, let them.
    meep meep

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Shame to have so many of the games ruined by timeouts (of course this is the timing-out players' fault and not the organiser's) - to the point that only three players have now not lost a game by timeout.

It would be nice to run these things on some kind of software that emails a warning when a player is a day away from timeout, but I'm not sure that would solve the problem of people entering without being completely organised and/or committed.

Or peeps could just take responsibility for their committed obligations

What is the world coming to?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Or peeps could just take responsibility for their committed obligations
    Sorry KB, but I agree with GD here. Only two players have not timed out, resigned all games prematurely.

I just hope that the time outs do not affect the tournament result for Boris and Sunshine.

Sorry KB, but I agree with GD here.
    I'm not really disagreeing with him. It shouldn't be necessary to try to think about ways of dealing with the issue.

Only two players have not timed out, resigned all games prematurely.
    Yes, I forgot that Zwischenzug also had a timeout but it wasn't enforced on him as his opponent also had a timeout at that early stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I'm not really disagreeing with him. It shouldn't be necessary to try to think about ways of dealing with the issue.
    If there was to be some sort of email warning system (which I do not really support), then it would have to be an automated system.

Yes, I forgot that Zwischenzug also had a timeout but it wasn't enforced on him as his opponent also had a timeout at that early stage.
    Yeah, in that game I tried to work on my compassionate side, it wont be making a re-appearance in these tournaments for a long time.

What is the saying about a good dead and getting punished

If there was to be some sort of email warning system (which I do not really support), then it would have to be an automated system.
    Yep. Which on the board is too hard to administer. Actually very early in the tournament I sent PMs to a few of the backsliders (hope their opponents didn't mind) but when it became clear that they were going to continue to struggle to get their moves played I desisted.

Yeah, in that game I tried to work on my compassionate side, it wont be making a re-appearance in these tournaments for a long time.
    Can't say I blame you really!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Actually very early in the tournament I sent PMs to a few of the backsliders (hope their opponents didn't mind) but when it became clear that they were going to continue to struggle to get their moves played I desisted.
    As it has turned out, what I would call a lot of pm's, you call a few

Can't say I blame you really!
    It is a rather sad day when a warning and black list has to be seriously considered. Two players would be contenders to end up on it so far.

High chance of this rule for next tournament.

Players who time out 50% of their games without notice before hand will be withdrawn from the competition and their acceptance into the next tournament will not be accepted without a damn good explanation.

... without a damn good explanation.
    What about quite a good explanation? Or a fairly good explanation and an apology. Or sort of good explanation, a genuine public apology and a tenner thrown in?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

Axiomatically Speaking Of Course

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    What about quite a good explanation? Or a fairly good explanation and an apology. Or sort of good explanation, a genuine public apology and a tenner thrown in?
    I agree , it is only a matter of respect to furnish such an apology and/or explanation.

Thread Information